Re: Topics

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "George Harvey" <georgeatnsn@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Cari,
      >
      > At some point I would be interested in seeing a discussion of the
      > Cathers and whether or not they were Gnostics.
      >
      > George

      Sounds good, George. We'll definitely keep that one in mind.

      Cari
    • Nick Lawrance
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005

        From Gich

        >>Hey Nick! I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

        Using the Gospel of Thomas sayings:

        Grace =  (62) Jesus said: I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries.

        >> Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly, would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'

        Now that's where the debate comes in for:

        Effort = (58) Jesus said, "Blessed is the person who has labored and found life."

        Nick

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2005

          Hey Nick!

          >>> I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries <<<

          What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy?

          >>> Blessed is the person who has labored and found life <<<

          What does this mean? blessed? found life?

          Gich

          I am sure you obviously grasp the surface meanings but he whole purpose of Thomas in my opinion is that you investigate the deeper meaning of these sayings for yourself, there meant to be puzzled over not handed to one on a plate.

          Nick

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2005

            > Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that
            > nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly,
            > would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'
            >
            > Gich

            In a Gnosticism forum, I like to think that we're operating under the
            general assumption that salvation comes via Gnosis. Are you
            suggesting now that babies are Gnostic? Were you suggesting in an
            earlier post that lepers are Gnostic?

            My mother recently contracted a tree-cutting company to get rid of
            some old pines in her yard. When the guy initially came to give her
            an estimate for the job, he "seemed spiritual" to her when he offered
            her a religious book and attempted to proselytize for his church.
            Was HE a Gnostic because he gave the appearance of being a spiritual
            person, even though it took him four weeks to finish the job that he
            *promised* would be done in two days?

            I think you are confusing "spiritual" with "pneumatic." I'm not
            talking about the literal meaning, but the contextual significance.
            Once again, there is a difference between how terms can be used by
            exoteric and esoteric communities . . . and yes, Gich, your
            understanding seems to be more in line with "the mainstream," no
            matter how much you proclaim otherwise.

            Gerry
          • Nick Lawrance
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2005
              Gich

              You suggested discussing whether salvation is by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts' and you later brought the Gospel of Thomas into the discussion and now say we cannot discuss it?!? This reminds me of Wittgenstein's famous observation: 'a nothing would do as well as a something about which nothing can be said'!

              The way you replied to me you were not asking for a discusion, you were asking for 'answers' and I seriously do not believe you can not understand the surface meaning of the sayings; if you can't understand the surface meanings whats the point in going into the deeper meaning?

              Nick

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2005
                From Gich
                No Nick I was asking for definitions of the terms YOU introduced. I have defined all the terms I have ever used and I wanted you to do the same. Without clear definitions it's not possible to have a meaningful discussion about anything.
                I am sorry you think that I have been attacking you but I get the feeling that you are just playing games with me. You say you want definitions when you know and I know that you understand exactly what Thomas means at least on the surface level as you have already indicated in your understanding of Gnosticism. If you were a complete beginner I could understand but your not. I am sorry but I just can not buy the idea that you don't understand the terms that I am talking about.

                Nick

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005

                  > But I view "gnosis" as God's prerogative that he gifts to "the
                  > spiritual". I don't know whether babies, lepers or the guy from the
                  > tree-cutting company would be considered "spiritual" by God; but he
                  > would decide; not me, you or any other person.
                  >
                  > Gich

                  You really don't see how that description appears demiurgic?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Lawrance"
                    <nicholson2000r@c...> wrote:

                    > I am sorry you think that I have been attacking you but I get the
                    feeling that you are just playing games with me. You say you want
                    definitions when you know and I know that you understand exactly what
                    Thomas means at least on the surface level as you have already
                    indicated in your understanding of Gnosticism. If you were a complete
                    beginner I could understand but your not. I am sorry but I just can
                    not buy the idea that you don't understand the terms that I am
                    talking about.

                    > Nick

                    Don't take it personally, Nick. I'm still not sure that Gich isn't
                    playing games with all of us, but then again, I'm also not sure that
                    he doesn't suffer from Asperger's Syndrome. The latter would explain
                    a lot, and while there would certainly be no need for him to be
                    embarrassed by such a condition, I'm not sure how anyone here could
                    be of help to him. At some level, it may be possible to present some
                    of the material in such a way as to convey (in fairly concrete terms)
                    some of the subtle nuances that are being missed. At the same time
                    though, if this subject is nothing more than a fixation for him, then
                    we may as well be discussing train schedules or dinosaurs.

                    Gerry
                  • janahooks
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                      Gerry,

                      ... but then again, I'm also not sure that
                      > he doesn't suffer from Asperger's Syndrome. The latter would
                      explain
                      > a lot, and while there would certainly be no need for him to be
                      > embarrassed by such a condition, I'm not sure how anyone here
                      could
                      > be of help to him. At some level, it may be possible to present
                      some
                      > of the material in such a way as to convey (in fairly concrete
                      terms)
                      > some of the subtle nuances that are being missed. At the same
                      time
                      > though, if this subject is nothing more than a fixation for him,
                      then
                      > we may as well be discussing train schedules or dinosaurs.

                      In one of your posts, you bulleted a couple of items that you were
                      comparing. Visual organization might help, and Gich, I am not being
                      patronizing. I am a visual learner swimming in an endless sea of
                      Times New Roman and no pictures. :( Gerry, I've had three students
                      with Asperger's, and I feel like I ask them more questions about
                      their fixation than they ask me. ;) My theory is that Gich is
                      writing a movie script, with a role based on pmcv. Heh.

                      jana
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Gerry,
                        >
                        > ... but then again, I'm also not sure that
                        > > he doesn't suffer from Asperger's Syndrome. The latter would
                        > explain
                        > > a lot, and while there would certainly be no need for him to be
                        > > embarrassed by such a condition, I'm not sure how anyone here
                        > could
                        > > be of help to him. At some level, it may be possible to present
                        > some
                        > > of the material in such a way as to convey (in fairly concrete
                        > terms)
                        > > some of the subtle nuances that are being missed. At the same
                        > time
                        > > though, if this subject is nothing more than a fixation for him,
                        > then
                        > > we may as well be discussing train schedules or dinosaurs.
                        >
                        > In one of your posts, you bulleted a couple of items that you were
                        > comparing. Visual organization might help, and Gich, I am not
                        being
                        > patronizing. I am a visual learner swimming in an endless sea of
                        > Times New Roman and no pictures. :( Gerry, I've had three students
                        > with Asperger's, and I feel like I ask them more questions about
                        > their fixation than they ask me. ;) My theory is that Gich is
                        > writing a movie script, with a role based on pmcv. Heh.
                        >
                        > jana

                        Hey Jana.

                        I have Zero experience in this area, so thanks for any insights you
                        can offer. The site I was looking at earlier simply mentioned a
                        series of steps that help to delineate, in a demonstrably concrete
                        fashion, whatever emotional subtleties may be lost on someone who has
                        difficulty reading between the lines. I'll have to find the site
                        again, but right now, I had stayed up last night to adjust to a new
                        sleep schedule so I can accommodate two new jobs. I was just about
                        to turn in when I saw your post.

                        The problem with this material, as Nick pointed out, there is only so
                        much that a person can show another. It's not quite like one of
                        those graphic posters where you can tell a person how to squint just
                        right and where to focus so that he can see the picture in the
                        abstract hodgepodge.

                        At this point though, I would be happy if he would see that . . .

                        "accidental" does NOT equal "purposeful."

                        I'm a conceptual-minded person myself, regardless of how much I may
                        appear to be a stickler for details here and there. No matter how
                        much I try to look at this from either perspective though, I just
                        can't see how someone makes that leap from Error to Divine Plan.