Weekly Study Session #2: A Brief Summary of Gnosticism

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
      This week we'll give those who are unfamiliar with Gnosticism a chance
      to get their feet wet, in addition to giving those who have some
      acquaintance with the subject a chance to review and/or critique.

      Stephan A. Hoeller has written "A Brief Summary of Gnosticism":
      http://www.gnosis.org/gnintro.htm

      Feel free to make comments on this piece, if you'd like. You can also
      find other complementary introductory articles in our links section:

      For a little history, see Lance Owens's article:
      http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlintro.html

      As always, references to scripture, original source material, are
      welcome in your comments, if you wish.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2005
        > This week we'll give those who are unfamiliar with Gnosticism a
        chance
        > to get their feet wet, in addition to giving those who have some
        > acquaintance with the subject a chance to review and/or critique.
        >
        > Stephan A. Hoeller has written "A Brief Summary of Gnosticism":
        > http://www.gnosis.org/gnintro.htm
        >
        > Feel free to make comments on this piece, if you'd like. You can
        also
        > find other complementary introductory articles in our links section:
        >
        > For a little history, see Lance Owens's article:
        > http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlintro.html
        >
        > As always, references to scripture, original source material, are
        > welcome in your comments, if you wish.
        >

        > Cari

        Well, I didn't see any comments coming through for our Weekly Study
        Session #2.

        So, I'll assume that some of you at least have read through some of
        the summary material and have a basic feel for things. One of the
        concepts that probably became apparent is the Gnostic emphasis on
        Gnosis as salvific.

        George is interested in discussing the Cathars – Gnostic or not?

        I'll link the first post of a past thread wherein we discussed this
        back in 2003:

        George, this is an involved topic, requiring some knowledge of the
        Cathars as well as the Gnostics.

        Would you be able to break this topic down a bit more with one or
        more specific references for discussions? David had originally
        suggested "weekly study sessions. to where a reference is read by
        everyone and for the rest of the week is up for open discussion."
        That seems to be a more manageable goal, and I'm thinking we might
        want to offer more specific weekly topics (or a series of weekly
        topics gradually addressing a larger, more general topic) in order to
        garner more interest from members.

        Thanks.

        Cari
      • George Harvey
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12, 2005
          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > This week we'll give those who are unfamiliar with Gnosticism a
          > chance
          > > to get their feet wet, in addition to giving those who have some
          > > acquaintance with the subject a chance to review and/or critique.
          > >
          > > Stephan A. Hoeller has written "A Brief Summary of Gnosticism":
          > > http://www.gnosis.org/gnintro.htm
          > >
          > > Feel free to make comments on this piece, if you'd like. You
          can
          > also
          > > find other complementary introductory articles in our links
          section:

          > > For a little history, see Lance Owens's article:
          > > http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlintro.html
          > >
          > > As always, references to scripture, original source material,
          are
          > > welcome in your comments, if you wish.
          > >

          > > Cari
          >

          > Well, I didn't see any comments coming through for our Weekly
          Study
          > Session #2.
          >
          > So, I'll assume that some of you at least have read through some
          of
          > the summary material and have a basic feel for things. One of the
          > concepts that probably became apparent is the Gnostic emphasis on
          > Gnosis as salvific.
          >
          > George is interested in discussing the Cathars – Gnostic or not?
          >
          > I'll link the first post of a past thread wherein we discussed
          this
          > back in 2003:
          >
          > George, this is an involved topic, requiring some knowledge of the
          > Cathars as well as the Gnostics.
          >
          > Would you be able to break this topic down a bit more with one or
          > more specific references for discussions? David had originally
          > suggested "weekly study sessions. to where a reference is read by
          > everyone and for the rest of the week is up for open discussion."
          > That seems to be a more manageable goal, and I'm thinking we might
          > want to offer more specific weekly topics (or a series of weekly
          > topics gradually addressing a larger, more general topic) in order
          > garner more interest from members.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Cari

          Hi Cari,
          I asked for this topic because some such as "The Gnostic Bible" I am
          now reading list the Cathars as Gnostic and others do not. I don't
          have an opinion and was hoping to learn from the discussion. To
          answer your question, I don't know enough about the Cathars to break
          down the subject. If you or someone else wants to do so that is fine
          with me.

          George