Re: FREE WILL

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2005

      > . . . Roger Scruton . . . writes in "An Intelligent persons Guide
      > to Philosophy" (1996):
      >
      > QUOTE
      >
      > It is obvious that we are free. The onus is on people who deny free
      > will to show that there is none rather than on us to prove that we
      > have free will.
      >
      > UNQUOTE

      That wouldn't be very different from saying the following:

      "It is obvious that God exists. The burden of proof lies with those
      who deny His existence."

      I know that many "negatives" can actually be proven, but when it comes
      to the non-existential sort, well, good luck with THAT, Gich.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2005
        > Thanks a lot Gerry!
        >
        > I'm working through Scruton's book: " Modern Philosophy: A Survey"
        > [600+ pages]
        >
        > When I've read the chapter on God I'll let you know what he
        > says. :-)
        >
        > Gich

        Gich, I'm sorry that you once again failed to understand my meaning
        there. I'm really not interested in Screwton's book. I was appalled
        enough to hear that he would actually suggest that someone attempt
        to "prove a negative"——of the type in question.