Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Topics

Expand Messages
  • lady_caritas
    Hello, all. Just thought I d pop in with a request for discussion topics of interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2 starting
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello, all.

      Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
      interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
      starting tomorrow, Friday.

      Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

      Thank you.


      Cari
    • Nick Lawrance
      Hello, all. Just thought I d pop in with a request for discussion topics of interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2 starting
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        Hello, all.

        Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
        interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
        starting tomorrow, Friday.

        Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

        Thank you.


        Cari

        .....................................
         
        I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'
         
        Nick
        ----- Original Message -----
        Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 3:43 PM
        Subject: [Gnosticism2] Topics

        Hello, all.

        Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
        interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
        starting tomorrow, Friday.

        Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

        Thank you.


        Cari



      • lady_caritas
        ... #2 ... through one s efforts. ... Say, thanks, Nick. I ll post tomorrow. And other members, keep those ideas coming... Cari
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Lawrance"
          <nicholson2000r@c...> wrote:
          > Hello, all.
          >
          > Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
          > interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session
          #2
          > starting tomorrow, Friday.
          >
          > Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          >
          > Cari
          > .....................................
          >
          > I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or
          through one's 'efforts.'
          >
          > Nick


          Say, thanks, Nick. I'll post tomorrow.

          And other members, keep those ideas coming...


          Cari
        • cynthia jarrell
          Start from the beginning..... a brief history..... mythology of... ... #2 ... through one s efforts. ... Say, thanks, Nick. I ll post tomorrow. And other
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            Start from the beginning.....
               a brief history.....
               mythology of...

            lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Lawrance"
            <nicholson2000r@c...> wrote:
            > Hello, all.
            >
            > Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
            > interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session
            #2
            > starting tomorrow, Friday.
            >
            > Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            >
            > Cari
            > .....................................
            >
            > I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or
            through one's 'efforts.'
            >
            > Nick


            Say, thanks, Nick.  I'll post tomorrow.

            And other members, keep those ideas coming...


            Cari



            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • lady_caritas
            ... Hello, Cynthia. Yes, there are many here new to Gnosticism, so discussing a brief introduction might be in order this week. I ll post the new topic this
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, cynthia jarrell
              <cyndojarrell@y...> wrote:
              > Start from the beginning.....
              > a brief history.....
              > mythology of...
              >


              Hello, Cynthia. Yes, there are many here new to Gnosticism, so
              discussing a brief introduction might be in order this week. I'll
              post the new topic this morning.

              Nick, I'll temporarily put your question on hold for a future session,
              or feel free to start your own thread with this topic. It's good to
              have a lot of ideas. So, members, keep posting ideas here for future
              weekly discussion topics.

              Cari
            • George Harvey
              Hi Cari, At some point I would be interested in seeing a discussion of the Cathers and whether or not they were Gnostics. George
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Cari,

                At some point I would be interested in seeing a discussion of the
                Cathers and whether or not they were Gnostics.

                George
              • lady_caritas
                ... Sounds good, George. We ll definitely keep that one in mind. Cari
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "George Harvey" <georgeatnsn@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Cari,
                  >
                  > At some point I would be interested in seeing a discussion of the
                  > Cathers and whether or not they were Gnostics.
                  >
                  > George


                  Sounds good, George. We'll definitely keep that one in mind.

                  Cari
                • Nick Lawrance
                  From Gich ... ................................................................................................ Using the Gospel of Thomas sayings: Grace =
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
                  • 0 Attachment

                    From Gich

                     

                    >>Hey Nick! I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                    ................................................................................................

                    Using the Gospel of Thomas sayings:

                     

                    Grace =  (62) Jesus said: I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries.

                     

                    >> Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly, would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'

                     

                    Now that's where the debate comes in for:

                    Effort = (58) Jesus said, "Blessed is the person who has labored and found life."

                     

                    Nick

                    ----- Original Message -----
                    Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 7:49 AM
                    Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                    Hey Nick!

                    >>>I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'<<<

                    I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                    Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly, would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'

                    Gich

                     

                    ----- Original Message -----
                    Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:05 PM
                    Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                    Hello, all.

                    Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
                    interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
                    starting tomorrow, Friday.

                    Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

                    Thank you.


                    Cari

                    .....................................
                     
                    I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'
                     
                    Nick
                    ----- Original Message -----
                    Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 3:43 PM
                    Subject: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                    Hello, all.

                    Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
                    interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
                    starting tomorrow, Friday.

                    Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

                    Thank you.


                    Cari



                  • Nick Lawrance
                    Hey Nick! ... What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy? ... What does this mean? blessed? found life? Gich
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 5, 2005
                    • 0 Attachment

                      Hey Nick!

                      >>> I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries <<<

                      What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy?

                      >>> Blessed is the person who has labored and found life <<<

                      What does this mean? blessed? found life?

                      Gich

                      .......................................................

                       

                      I am sure you obviously grasp the surface meanings but he whole purpose of Thomas in my opinion is that you investigate the deeper meaning of these sayings for yourself, there meant to be puzzled over not handed to one on a plate.

                       

                      Nick

                      ----- Original Message -----
                      Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 8:40 AM
                      Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                      Hey Nick!

                      >>> I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries <<<

                      What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy?

                      >>> Blessed is the person who has labored and found life <<<

                      What does this mean? blessed? found life?

                      Gich

                       

                       

                      ----- Original Message -----
                      Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 8:49 PM
                      Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                      From Gich

                       

                      >>Hey Nick! I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                      ................................................................................................

                      Using the Gospel of Thomas sayings:

                       

                      Grace =  (62) Jesus said: I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries.

                       

                      >> Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly, would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'

                       

                      Now that's where the debate comes in for:

                      Effort = (58) Jesus said, "Blessed is the person who has labored and found life."

                       

                      Nick

                      ----- Original Message -----
                      Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 7:49 AM
                      Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                      Hey Nick!

                      >>>I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'<<<

                      I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                      Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly, would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'

                      Gich

                       

                      ----- Original Message -----
                      Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:05 PM
                      Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                      Hello, all.

                      Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
                      interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
                      starting tomorrow, Friday.

                      Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

                      Thank you.


                      Cari

                      .....................................
                       
                      I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'
                       
                      Nick
                      ----- Original Message -----
                      Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 3:43 PM
                      Subject: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                      Hello, all.

                      Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
                      interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
                      starting tomorrow, Friday.

                      Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

                      Thank you.


                      Cari



                    • Gerry
                      ... In a Gnosticism forum, I like to think that we re operating under the general assumption that salvation comes via Gnosis. Are you suggesting now that
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 5, 2005
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "gich morgan" <gich2@b...> wrote:
                        >
                        >
                        > Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that
                        > nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly,
                        > would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'
                        >
                        > Gich
                        >



                        In a Gnosticism forum, I like to think that we're operating under the
                        general assumption that salvation comes via Gnosis. Are you
                        suggesting now that babies are Gnostic? Were you suggesting in an
                        earlier post that lepers are Gnostic?

                        My mother recently contracted a tree-cutting company to get rid of
                        some old pines in her yard. When the guy initially came to give her
                        an estimate for the job, he "seemed spiritual" to her when he offered
                        her a religious book and attempted to proselytize for his church.
                        Was HE a Gnostic because he gave the appearance of being a spiritual
                        person, even though it took him four weeks to finish the job that he
                        *promised* would be done in two days?

                        I think you are confusing "spiritual" with "pneumatic." I'm not
                        talking about the literal meaning, but the contextual significance.
                        Once again, there is a difference between how terms can be used by
                        exoteric and esoteric communities . . . and yes, Gich, your
                        understanding seems to be more in line with "the mainstream," no
                        matter how much you proclaim otherwise.

                        Gerry
                      • Nick Lawrance
                        Gich You suggested discussing whether salvation is by Grace or through one s efforts and you later brought the Gospel of Thomas into the discussion and now
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 9, 2005
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Gich
                           
                          You suggested discussing whether salvation is by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts' and you later brought the Gospel of Thomas into the discussion and now say we cannot discuss it?!? This reminds me of Wittgenstein's famous observation: 'a nothing would do as well as a something about which nothing can be said'!

                           

                          ...........................................

                          The way you replied to me you were not asking for a discusion, you were asking for 'answers' and I seriously do not believe you can not understand the surface meaning of the sayings; if you can't understand the surface meanings whats the point in going into the deeper meaning?

                           

                          Nick

                          ----- Original Message -----
                          Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:33 AM
                          Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                          Hey Nick!

                          You offered this as a discussion topic. The conversation so far has gone as follows:

                          Nick: I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'

                          Gich: I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                          Nick: Using the Gospel of Thomas sayings: Grace =  (62) Jesus said: I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries. Effort = (58) Jesus said, "Blessed is the person who has labored and found life."

                          Gich: What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy? ... blessed? found life?

                          Nick: I am sure you obviously grasp the surface meanings but he whole purpose of Thomas in my opinion is that you investigate the deeper meaning of these sayings for yourself, there meant to be puzzled over not handed to one on a plate.

                          Gich - this post: You suggested discussing whether salvation is by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts' and you later brought the Gospel of Thomas into the discussion and now say we cannot discuss it?!? This reminds me of Wittgenstein's famous observation: 'a nothing would do as well as a something about which nothing can be said'!

                          Gich

                           

                          ----- Original Message -----
                          Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 4:26 PM
                          Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                          Hey Nick!

                          >>> I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries <<<

                          What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy?

                          >>> Blessed is the person who has labored and found life <<<

                          What does this mean? blessed? found life?

                          Gich

                          .......................................................

                           

                          I am sure you obviously grasp the surface meanings but he whole purpose of Thomas in my opinion is that you investigate the deeper meaning of these sayings for yourself, there meant to be puzzled over not handed to one on a plate.

                           

                          Nick

                          ----- Original Message -----
                          Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 8:40 AM
                          Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                          Hey Nick!

                          >>> I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries <<<

                          What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy?

                          >>> Blessed is the person who has labored and found life <<<

                          What does this mean? blessed? found life?

                          Gich

                           

                           

                          ----- Original Message -----
                          Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 8:49 PM
                          Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                          From Gich

                           

                          >>Hey Nick! I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                          ................................................................................................

                          Using the Gospel of Thomas sayings:

                           

                          Grace =  (62) Jesus said: I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries.

                           

                          >> Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly, would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'

                           

                          Now that's where the debate comes in for:

                          Effort = (58) Jesus said, "Blessed is the person who has labored and found life."

                           

                          Nick

                          ----- Original Message -----
                          Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 7:49 AM
                          Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                          Hey Nick!

                          >>>I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'<<<

                          I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                          Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly, would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'

                          Gich

                           

                          ----- Original Message -----
                          Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:05 PM
                          Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                          Hello, all.

                          Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
                          interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
                          starting tomorrow, Friday.

                          Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

                          Thank you.


                          Cari

                          .....................................
                           
                          I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'
                           
                          Nick
                          ----- Original Message -----
                          Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 3:43 PM
                          Subject: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                          Hello, all.

                          Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
                          interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
                          starting tomorrow, Friday.

                          Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

                          Thank you.


                          Cari



                        • Nick Lawrance
                          From Gich No Nick I was asking for definitions of the terms YOU introduced. I have defined all the terms I have ever used and I wanted you to do the same.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 9, 2005
                          • 0 Attachment
                            From Gich
                            No Nick I was asking for definitions of the terms YOU introduced. I have defined all the terms I have ever used and I wanted you to do the same. Without clear definitions it's not possible to have a meaningful discussion about anything.
                            ..........................................
                            I am sorry you think that I have been attacking you but I get the feeling that you are just playing games with me. You say you want definitions when you know and I know that you understand exactly what Thomas means at least on the surface level as you have already indicated in your understanding of Gnosticism. If you were a complete beginner I could understand but your not. I am sorry but I just can not buy the idea that you don't understand the terms that I am talking about.
                             
                            Nick
                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 9:42 PM
                            Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                            No Nick I was asking for definitions of the terms YOU introduced. I have defined all the terms I have ever used and I wanted you to do the same. Without clear definitions it's not possible to have a meaningful discussion about anything.
                            Gich
                             
                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 7:34 PM
                            Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                            Gich
                             
                            You suggested discussing whether salvation is by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts' and you later brought the Gospel of Thomas into the discussion and now say we cannot discuss it?!? This reminds me of Wittgenstein's famous observation: 'a nothing would do as well as a something about which nothing can be said'!

                             

                            ...........................................

                            The way you replied to me you were not asking for a discusion, you were asking for 'answers' and I seriously do not believe you can not understand the surface meaning of the sayings; if you can't understand the surface meanings whats the point in going into the deeper meaning?

                             

                            Nick

                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:33 AM
                            Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                            Hey Nick!

                            You offered this as a discussion topic. The conversation so far has gone as follows:

                            Nick: I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'

                            Gich: I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                            Nick: Using the Gospel of Thomas sayings: Grace =  (62) Jesus said: I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries. Effort = (58) Jesus said, "Blessed is the person who has labored and found life."

                            Gich: What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy? ... blessed? found life?

                            Nick: I am sure you obviously grasp the surface meanings but he whole purpose of Thomas in my opinion is that you investigate the deeper meaning of these sayings for yourself, there meant to be puzzled over not handed to one on a plate.

                            Gich - this post: You suggested discussing whether salvation is by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts' and you later brought the Gospel of Thomas into the discussion and now say we cannot discuss it?!? This reminds me of Wittgenstein's famous observation: 'a nothing would do as well as a something about which nothing can be said'!

                            Gich

                             

                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 4:26 PM
                            Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                            Hey Nick!

                            >>> I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries <<<

                            What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy?

                            >>> Blessed is the person who has labored and found life <<<

                            What does this mean? blessed? found life?

                            Gich

                            .......................................................

                             

                            I am sure you obviously grasp the surface meanings but he whole purpose of Thomas in my opinion is that you investigate the deeper meaning of these sayings for yourself, there meant to be puzzled over not handed to one on a plate.

                             

                            Nick

                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 8:40 AM
                            Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                            Hey Nick!

                            >>> I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries <<<

                            What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy?

                            >>> Blessed is the person who has labored and found life <<<

                            What does this mean? blessed? found life?

                            Gich

                             

                             

                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 8:49 PM
                            Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                            From Gich

                             

                            >>Hey Nick! I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                            ................................................................................................

                            Using the Gospel of Thomas sayings:

                             

                            Grace =  (62) Jesus said: I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries.

                             

                            >> Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly, would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'

                             

                            Now that's where the debate comes in for:

                            Effort = (58) Jesus said, "Blessed is the person who has labored and found life."

                             

                            Nick

                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 7:49 AM
                            Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                            Hey Nick!

                            >>>I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'<<<

                            I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

                            Given that salvation goes to the "spiritual" it seems to me that nothing can be more spiritual than babies and so they, certainly, would be saved. Hence salvation cannot be through one's 'efforts.'

                            Gich

                             

                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:05 PM
                            Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                            Hello, all.

                            Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
                            interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
                            starting tomorrow, Friday.

                            Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

                            Thank you.


                            Cari

                            .....................................
                             
                            I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'
                             
                            Nick
                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 3:43 PM
                            Subject: [Gnosticism2] Topics

                            Hello, all.

                            Just thought I'd pop in with a request for discussion topics of
                            interest to YOU, in case anyone would like a Weekly Study Session #2
                            starting tomorrow, Friday.

                            Feel free to post suggestions here or email the moderators.

                            Thank you.


                            Cari



                          • Gerry
                            ... You really don t see how that description appears demiurgic? Gerry
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                            • 0 Attachment
                              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "gich morgan" <gich2@b...> wrote:
                              >
                              >
                              > But I view "gnosis" as God's prerogative that he gifts to "the
                              > spiritual". I don't know whether babies, lepers or the guy from the
                              > tree-cutting company would be considered "spiritual" by God; but he
                              > would decide; not me, you or any other person.
                              >
                              > Gich
                              >


                              You really don't see how that description appears demiurgic?


                              Gerry
                            • Gerry
                              ... feeling that you are just playing games with me. You say you want definitions when you know and I know that you understand exactly what Thomas means at
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                              • 0 Attachment
                                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Lawrance"
                                <nicholson2000r@c...> wrote:
                                >
                                > I am sorry you think that I have been attacking you but I get the
                                feeling that you are just playing games with me. You say you want
                                definitions when you know and I know that you understand exactly what
                                Thomas means at least on the surface level as you have already
                                indicated in your understanding of Gnosticism. If you were a complete
                                beginner I could understand but your not. I am sorry but I just can
                                not buy the idea that you don't understand the terms that I am
                                talking about.
                                >
                                > Nick



                                Don't take it personally, Nick. I'm still not sure that Gich isn't
                                playing games with all of us, but then again, I'm also not sure that
                                he doesn't suffer from Asperger's Syndrome. The latter would explain
                                a lot, and while there would certainly be no need for him to be
                                embarrassed by such a condition, I'm not sure how anyone here could
                                be of help to him. At some level, it may be possible to present some
                                of the material in such a way as to convey (in fairly concrete terms)
                                some of the subtle nuances that are being missed. At the same time
                                though, if this subject is nothing more than a fixation for him, then
                                we may as well be discussing train schedules or dinosaurs.

                                Gerry
                              • janahooks
                                Gerry, ... explain ... could ... some ... terms) ... time ... then ... In one of your posts, you bulleted a couple of items that you were comparing. Visual
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Gerry,

                                  ... but then again, I'm also not sure that
                                  > he doesn't suffer from Asperger's Syndrome. The latter would
                                  explain
                                  > a lot, and while there would certainly be no need for him to be
                                  > embarrassed by such a condition, I'm not sure how anyone here
                                  could
                                  > be of help to him. At some level, it may be possible to present
                                  some
                                  > of the material in such a way as to convey (in fairly concrete
                                  terms)
                                  > some of the subtle nuances that are being missed. At the same
                                  time
                                  > though, if this subject is nothing more than a fixation for him,
                                  then
                                  > we may as well be discussing train schedules or dinosaurs.

                                  In one of your posts, you bulleted a couple of items that you were
                                  comparing. Visual organization might help, and Gich, I am not being
                                  patronizing. I am a visual learner swimming in an endless sea of
                                  Times New Roman and no pictures. :( Gerry, I've had three students
                                  with Asperger's, and I feel like I ask them more questions about
                                  their fixation than they ask me. ;) My theory is that Gich is
                                  writing a movie script, with a role based on pmcv. Heh.

                                  jana
                                • Gerry
                                  ... being ... Hey Jana. I have Zero experience in this area, so thanks for any insights you can offer. The site I was looking at earlier simply mentioned a
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Gerry,
                                    >
                                    > ... but then again, I'm also not sure that
                                    > > he doesn't suffer from Asperger's Syndrome. The latter would
                                    > explain
                                    > > a lot, and while there would certainly be no need for him to be
                                    > > embarrassed by such a condition, I'm not sure how anyone here
                                    > could
                                    > > be of help to him. At some level, it may be possible to present
                                    > some
                                    > > of the material in such a way as to convey (in fairly concrete
                                    > terms)
                                    > > some of the subtle nuances that are being missed. At the same
                                    > time
                                    > > though, if this subject is nothing more than a fixation for him,
                                    > then
                                    > > we may as well be discussing train schedules or dinosaurs.
                                    >
                                    > In one of your posts, you bulleted a couple of items that you were
                                    > comparing. Visual organization might help, and Gich, I am not
                                    being
                                    > patronizing. I am a visual learner swimming in an endless sea of
                                    > Times New Roman and no pictures. :( Gerry, I've had three students
                                    > with Asperger's, and I feel like I ask them more questions about
                                    > their fixation than they ask me. ;) My theory is that Gich is
                                    > writing a movie script, with a role based on pmcv. Heh.
                                    >
                                    > jana



                                    Hey Jana.

                                    I have Zero experience in this area, so thanks for any insights you
                                    can offer. The site I was looking at earlier simply mentioned a
                                    series of steps that help to delineate, in a demonstrably concrete
                                    fashion, whatever emotional subtleties may be lost on someone who has
                                    difficulty reading between the lines. I'll have to find the site
                                    again, but right now, I had stayed up last night to adjust to a new
                                    sleep schedule so I can accommodate two new jobs. I was just about
                                    to turn in when I saw your post.

                                    The problem with this material, as Nick pointed out, there is only so
                                    much that a person can show another. It's not quite like one of
                                    those graphic posters where you can tell a person how to squint just
                                    right and where to focus so that he can see the picture in the
                                    abstract hodgepodge.

                                    At this point though, I would be happy if he would see that . . .

                                    "accidental" does NOT equal "purposeful."

                                    I'm a conceptual-minded person myself, regardless of how much I may
                                    appear to be a stickler for details here and there. No matter how
                                    much I try to look at this from either perspective though, I just
                                    can't see how someone makes that leap from Error to Divine Plan.

                                    Gerry
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.