Re: [Gnosticism2] I'm new here and...............

  • Charlene Humphrey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 23, 2005
      Hi Cynthia..........

           My suggestion to you would be to read Slyvia Brownes book, "The Nature of Good and Evil". I thoroughly enjoyed it and got a great deal out of it. I hope you will too if you decide to read it.

      Blessings to you..........

      Char

      cynthia <cyndojarrell@...> wrote:
      Hello and Merry Meet,
      I am new here and very curous about the Gnostic tradition. I am a
      student of Anthropology and Theology and have not had the opportunity
      to study the gnostic tradition in itself. I have some knowledge of it
      from work I have done on Jesus and his followers but only in reference.
      I have heard of the Dead Sea Scrolls and am interested to learn more.
      My spacific area of study as of yet has been women's roles in
      prechristian traditions. I grew up Catholic and but after years of
      study have chosen a wiccan path. I have followed the wheel of the year
      since 1979 and I am comfortable in my path but would lkie to know more
      about yours. If anyone could suggest a begginners book I would be very
      grateful. Thank you Cynthia

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 2005
        Hey Cynthia, welcome.

        Well, besides the books already mentioned, let me suggest that you
        also bring up questions and comments you may have for the group here.
        One of the pitfalls of Gnosticism has always been that it is really
        kind of complex. What I mean by that is, attempts to boil it down into
        simplified accounts have nearly always failed... so "beginner" books
        have generally stuck to outlining a basic history of the movement, and
        then some of the basic philosophies in the most general of terms. This
        is obviously very different from some of the beginning guides to Wicca
        which outline some practices and practical applications to everyday
        living.

        BTW, you in particular may be interested in the books that Graham and
        Gaye just mentioned since they do kind of give a slightly Wiccan slant
        to their understanding of "Gnosticism". While it may not always be an
        accurate account of traditional Gnostic thought, many ex-Christians
        and Wiccans have found them particularly useful as a sort of
        introduction to Gnosticism.

        And obviously, first and formost, you may wish to check out some of
        the actual Gnostic texts. Try the Apoc. of John and the Gospel of
        Philip.

        PMCV

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "cynthia" <cyndojarrell@y...>
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2005
          Hey Charlene

          Welcome to the group. I do think it may be important for you to know
          that Sylvia Browne is actually not related to the subject matter of
          this group. I know she uses the term "Gnostic" but so do lots of
          groups that are not related to each other.

          Instead, this group is about traditional Gnosticism. This is nothing
          against Sylvia, but for anyone here who may be interested in her
          teachings rather than historical Gnosticism, here is a link to a
          group that deals with them...
          member there, Charlene)

          Hope that helps anyone who is searching for something other than
          what this group offers.

          PMCV

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Charlene Humphrey