Re: I'm new here and...............

    Message 1 of 6 , May 23, 2005
      Hello Nick

      On 05/23/05, you wrote:

      > From Cynthia
      >
      > If anyone could suggest a begginners book I would be very
      > grateful.
      > Welcome Cynthia, I personally found the book "Gnosticism" by
      > Stephan A Hollier a rather well written resource on Gnosticism.
      > Nick

      I have to second that or Stephan would clobber me. :-)

    • Charlene Humphrey
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 2005
        Hi Cynthia..........

             My suggestion to you would be to read Slyvia Brownes book, "The Nature of Good and Evil". I thoroughly enjoyed it and got a great deal out of it. I hope you will too if you decide to read it.

        Blessings to you..........

        Char

        cynthia <cyndojarrell@...> wrote:
        Hello and Merry Meet,
        I am new here and very curous about the Gnostic tradition. I am a
        student of Anthropology and Theology and have not had the opportunity
        to study the gnostic tradition in itself. I have some knowledge of it
        from work I have done on Jesus and his followers but only in reference.
        I have heard of the Dead Sea Scrolls and am interested to learn more.
        My spacific area of study as of yet has been women's roles in
        prechristian traditions. I grew up Catholic and but after years of
        study have chosen a wiccan path. I have followed the wheel of the year
        since 1979 and I am comfortable in my path but would lkie to know more
        about yours. If anyone could suggest a begginners book I would be very
        grateful. Thank you Cynthia

        Do You Yahoo!?
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2005
          Hey Cynthia, welcome.

          Well, besides the books already mentioned, let me suggest that you
          also bring up questions and comments you may have for the group here.
          One of the pitfalls of Gnosticism has always been that it is really
          kind of complex. What I mean by that is, attempts to boil it down into
          simplified accounts have nearly always failed... so "beginner" books
          have generally stuck to outlining a basic history of the movement, and
          then some of the basic philosophies in the most general of terms. This
          is obviously very different from some of the beginning guides to Wicca
          which outline some practices and practical applications to everyday
          living.

          BTW, you in particular may be interested in the books that Graham and
          Gaye just mentioned since they do kind of give a slightly Wiccan slant
          to their understanding of "Gnosticism". While it may not always be an
          accurate account of traditional Gnostic thought, many ex-Christians
          and Wiccans have found them particularly useful as a sort of
          introduction to Gnosticism.

          And obviously, first and formost, you may wish to check out some of
          the actual Gnostic texts. Try the Apoc. of John and the Gospel of
          Philip.

          PMCV

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "cynthia" <cyndojarrell@y...>
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2005
            Hey Charlene

            Welcome to the group. I do think it may be important for you to know
            that Sylvia Browne is actually not related to the subject matter of
            this group. I know she uses the term "Gnostic" but so do lots of
            groups that are not related to each other.

            Instead, this group is about traditional Gnosticism. This is nothing
            against Sylvia, but for anyone here who may be interested in her
            teachings rather than historical Gnosticism, here is a link to a
            group that deals with them...
            member there, Charlene)

            Hope that helps anyone who is searching for something other than
            what this group offers.

            PMCV

            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Charlene Humphrey