I'm new here and...............

  • cynthia
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2005
      Hello and Merry Meet,
      I am new here and very curous about the Gnostic tradition. I am a
      student of Anthropology and Theology and have not had the opportunity
      to study the gnostic tradition in itself. I have some knowledge of it
      from work I have done on Jesus and his followers but only in reference.
      I have heard of the Dead Sea Scrolls and am interested to learn more.
      My spacific area of study as of yet has been women's roles in
      prechristian traditions. I grew up Catholic and but after years of
      study have chosen a wiccan path. I have followed the wheel of the year
      since 1979 and I am comfortable in my path but would lkie to know more
      about yours. If anyone could suggest a begginners book I would be very
      grateful. Thank you Cynthia
    • Nick Lawrance
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 2005

         From Cynthia

        If anyone could suggest a begginners book I would be very
        grateful.
        Welcome Cynthia, I personally found the book "Gnosticism" by Stephan A Hollier a rather well written resource on Gnosticism.
        Nick

        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2005
          Hello Nick

          On 05/23/05, you wrote:

          > From Cynthia
          >
          > If anyone could suggest a begginners book I would be very
          > grateful.
          > Welcome Cynthia, I personally found the book "Gnosticism" by
          > Stephan A Hollier a rather well written resource on Gnosticism.
          > Nick

          I have to second that or Stephan would clobber me. :-)

        • Charlene Humphrey
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2005
            Hi Cynthia..........

                 My suggestion to you would be to read Slyvia Brownes book, "The Nature of Good and Evil". I thoroughly enjoyed it and got a great deal out of it. I hope you will too if you decide to read it.

            Blessings to you..........

            Char

            cynthia <cyndojarrell@...> wrote:
            Hello and Merry Meet,
            I am new here and very curous about the Gnostic tradition. I am a
            student of Anthropology and Theology and have not had the opportunity
            to study the gnostic tradition in itself. I have some knowledge of it
            from work I have done on Jesus and his followers but only in reference.
            I have heard of the Dead Sea Scrolls and am interested to learn more.
            My spacific area of study as of yet has been women's roles in
            prechristian traditions. I grew up Catholic and but after years of
            study have chosen a wiccan path. I have followed the wheel of the year
            since 1979 and I am comfortable in my path but would lkie to know more
            about yours. If anyone could suggest a begginners book I would be very
            grateful. Thank you Cynthia

            Do You Yahoo!?
            Message 5 of 6 , May 23, 2005
              Hey Cynthia, welcome.

              Well, besides the books already mentioned, let me suggest that you
              also bring up questions and comments you may have for the group here.
              One of the pitfalls of Gnosticism has always been that it is really
              kind of complex. What I mean by that is, attempts to boil it down into
              simplified accounts have nearly always failed... so "beginner" books
              have generally stuck to outlining a basic history of the movement, and
              then some of the basic philosophies in the most general of terms. This
              is obviously very different from some of the beginning guides to Wicca
              which outline some practices and practical applications to everyday
              living.

              BTW, you in particular may be interested in the books that Graham and
              Gaye just mentioned since they do kind of give a slightly Wiccan slant
              to their understanding of "Gnosticism". While it may not always be an
              accurate account of traditional Gnostic thought, many ex-Christians
              and Wiccans have found them particularly useful as a sort of
              introduction to Gnosticism.

              And obviously, first and formost, you may wish to check out some of
              the actual Gnostic texts. Try the Apoc. of John and the Gospel of
              Philip.

              PMCV

              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "cynthia" <cyndojarrell@y...>
              Message 6 of 6 , May 23, 2005
                Hey Charlene

                Welcome to the group. I do think it may be important for you to know
                that Sylvia Browne is actually not related to the subject matter of
                this group. I know she uses the term "Gnostic" but so do lots of
                groups that are not related to each other.

                Instead, this group is about traditional Gnosticism. This is nothing
                against Sylvia, but for anyone here who may be interested in her
                teachings rather than historical Gnosticism, here is a link to a
                group that deals with them...
                member there, Charlene)

                Hope that helps anyone who is searching for something other than
                what this group offers.

                PMCV

                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Charlene Humphrey