Re: A request for help...

  • grahambraithwaite
    Message 1 of 26 , May 22, 2005
      Dear Gaye,

      Many thanks for getting in touch with me, and for the kind words of
      support in your message. It's good to know that there are people out
      there who are prepared to sympathize with someone like myself who has
      had a bad time of it with mainstream religion, and I'm grateful that
      you took the time to show that.

      One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very, very
      isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea exactly
      how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
      experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a lapse
      into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored' by God
      that have so troubled me in the past.

      Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my previous
      despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times during the day
      to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and faith. I shoukld
      imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of this week, but I'll be
      cross-reference quotes and pieces of info from it for quite some time
      yet I think, so it's going to be with me for quite a while.

      I'll close here before I detain you any longer, but thank you again for
      getting in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you again. By the
      way, I'm in Yeadon near Leeds. Whereabouts in England are you?

      best regards,
      Graham
    • Graham Braithwaite
      Message 2 of 26 , May 22, 2005
        Mike,

        Thanks very much for your help. I'll have a look at the material you recommend, and I'll hopefully find therein some more of the help that I've been looking for.

        Many thanks to you again.

        Best regards,
        Graham

        On 5/22/05, Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
        Hello grahambraithwaite

        On 05/22/05, you wrote:

        > Dear Gaye,
        >
        > Many thanks for getting in touch with me, and for the kind words of
        > support in your message. It's good to know that there are people out
        > there who are prepared to sympathize with someone like myself who
        > has had a bad time of it with mainstream religion, and I'm grateful
        > that you took the time to show that.
        >
        > One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very,
        > very isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea
        > exactly how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
        > experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a
        > lapse into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored'
        > by God that have so troubled me in the past.
        >
        > Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my
        > previous despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times
        > during the day to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and
        > faith. I shoukld imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of
        > this week, but I'll be cross-reference quotes and pieces of info
        > from it for quite some time yet I think, so it's going to be with me
        > for quite a while.
        >
        > I'll close here before I detain you any longer, but thank you again
        > for getting in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you again.
        > By the way, I'm in Yeadon near Leeds. Whereabouts in England are
        > you?
        >
        > best regards,
        > Graham

        Go to the Website of this group, there is a list of recommended
        readings.  Reading the original scriptures in THE GNOSTIC BIBLE or
        THE NAJ HAMADI LIBRARY is a good exercise.

        Mike Leavitt  ac998@...

        Message 3 of 26 , May 22, 2005
          Hello grahambraithwaite

          On 05/22/05, you wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm writing this from Yorkshire in England as a new adherent of the
          > Gnostic faith, and I'm just pretty much looking for some friends to
          > help me along the way into a realisation of Gnosis.
          >
          > In a nutshell, I've reached this point via a torturous spiritual
          > journey that saw me have a previous interest in Gnosticism that was
          > torn away from me by becoming involved in, and then hopelessly
          > entangled in what were to become, for me, the harsh tentacles of
          > Evangelical and, later, Charismatic Christianity. I left the
          > Charismatic churches around ten years ago but it has taken me until
          > now to pick myself up and take my courage in both hands to try to
          > make sense of what happened to me in a way that enables me to go on
          > to start to put things together again.
          >
          > In the time that I've been out of the 'Church', I've read lots of
          > books on faith and belief and the subject matter of those has
          > gradually taken me further and further away from the standard
          > teachings of the Church to a present point where I now feel that
          > I've 'come home' to be most interested in books about the 'hidden
          > mysteries' in general and Gnosticism in particular. I've just bought
          > a book called 'Jesus and the Lost Goddess'by Tim Freke and Peter
          > Gandy, and I feel that I've reached a new awareness and insight of
          > all that might have actually been happening to me over the years, so
          > this is the reason why I'm now looking for take up correspondence in
          > this way. I just feel that I need to spend a little bit of time
          > relating the past to a few 'fellow travellers' in the hope that we
          > might touch on things in the course of those exchanges that prove to
          > be both both interesting and mutually beneficial to us all.
          >
          > I hope you'll apreciate that it's fairly difficult to condense the
          > experiences of many adult years into one brief message in this way,
          > but I nonetheless hope that one or more of you might feel disposed
          > toward dropping me a line in the hope that we can have a chat.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any help that this might turn up, and I look
          > forward to hearing from you soon.

          Participating on this list will get you a lot of discussion. Feel
          free to ask questions.

          Message 4 of 26 , May 22, 2005
            Hello grahambraithwaite

            On 05/22/05, you wrote:

            > Dear Gaye,
            >
            > Many thanks for getting in touch with me, and for the kind words of
            > support in your message. It's good to know that there are people out
            > there who are prepared to sympathize with someone like myself who
            > has had a bad time of it with mainstream religion, and I'm grateful
            > that you took the time to show that.
            >
            > One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very,
            > very isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea
            > exactly how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
            > experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a
            > lapse into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored'
            > by God that have so troubled me in the past.
            >
            > Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my
            > previous despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times
            > during the day to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and
            > faith. I shoukld imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of
            > this week, but I'll be cross-reference quotes and pieces of info
            > from it for quite some time yet I think, so it's going to be with me
            > for quite a while.
            >
            > I'll close here before I detain you any longer, but thank you again
            > for getting in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you again.
            > By the way, I'm in Yeadon near Leeds. Whereabouts in England are
            > you?
            >
            > best regards,
            > Graham

            Go to the Website of this group, there is a list of recommended
            readings. Reading the original scriptures in THE GNOSTIC BIBLE or
            THE NAJ HAMADI LIBRARY is a good exercise.

          • josie
            Message 5 of 26 , May 22, 2005
              Dear Graham,
              your summary of your spiritual path sounds very similar to mine,
              except I do not feel isolated. I have been given books on Centering,
              Meditating, etc., and that has helped me overcome my unsureness when
              praying. and I too keep referring to these books as I need to, as
              well as trying to build my library. I was raised Catholic, but I'm
              now a "Church-hopper". I go to church when I want and where I want. I
              usually walk away with a message or information that pertains to my
              life. I'm also trying to find information on working with my
              children, one daughter who is clairvoyant.
              Good luck,
              jos

              -- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "grahambraithwaite"
              <graham.braithwaite@g...> wrote:
              > Dear Gaye,
              >
              > Many thanks for getting in touch with me, and for the kind words of
              > support in your message. It's good to know that there are people
              out
              > there who are prepared to sympathize with someone like myself who
              has
              > had a bad time of it with mainstream religion, and I'm grateful
              that
              > you took the time to show that.
              >
              > One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very,
              very
              > isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea
              exactly
              > how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
              > experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a
              lapse
              > into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored' by
              God
              > that have so troubled me in the past.
              >
              > Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my
              previous
              > despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times during the
              day
              > to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and faith. I shoukld
              > imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of this week, but
              I'll be
              > cross-reference quotes and pieces of info from it for quite some
              time
              > yet I think, so it's going to be with me for quite a while.
              >
              > I'll close here before I detain you any longer, but thank you again
              for
              > getting in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you again. By
              the
              > way, I'm in Yeadon near Leeds. Whereabouts in England are you?
              >
              > best regards,
              > Graham
            • Nick Lawrance
              Message 6 of 26 , May 22, 2005
                From Graham

                and I need some real and tangible experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a lapse into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored' by God that have so troubled me in the past.
                If you want some real and tangible experiences I would suggest that you obtain the Gospel of Thomas and then do what it instructs you to do; i.e attempt to interpret/put into practice what it teaches in the 114 sayings. In fact you won't have to go through all 114, hopefully you should have experiences much sooner than that but you have to into each saying deep and I mean deep.

                Nick

                > Many thanks for getting in touch with me, and for the kind words of
                > support in your message. It's good to know that there are people out
                > there who are prepared to sympathize with someone like myself who
                > has had a bad time of it with mainstream religion, and I'm grateful
                > that you took the time to show that.
                >
                > One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very,
                > very isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea
                > exactly how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
                > experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a
                > lapse into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored'
                > by God that have so troubled me in the past.
                >
                > Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my
                > previous despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times
                > during the day to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and
                > faith. I shoukld imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of
                > this week, but I'll be cross-reference quotes and pieces of info
                > from it for quite some time yet I think, so it's going to be with me
                > for quite a while.
                >
                > I'll close here before I detain you any longer, but thank you again
                > for getting in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you again.
                > By the way, I'm in Yeadon near Leeds. Whereabouts in England are
                > you?
                >
                > best regards,
                > Graham

                Go to the Website of this group, there is a list of recommended
                readings.  Reading the original scriptures in THE GNOSTIC BIBLE or
                THE NAJ HAMADI LIBRARY is a good exercise.

                Mike Leavitt  ac998@...

              • gaye verrall
                Message 7 of 26 , May 23, 2005
                  Dear Graham,
                  Thanks for responding to me so kindly. I am in London and have been for 20 years now.
                  I too have read this book you are reading and really lapped it up. It put me in touch with a
                  lot of ideas and like yourself I made notes and did a bit of research.
                  It really did feed me for weeks. A great find.
                  Currently I am really seeking to get deeper inside and find out who or what I/we really are
                  all about. I keep asking Who is this?...Who is suffering? Who is seeeing? etc etc
                  What I found is that there is no answer, just a silence that has an encouraging depth to it.
                  The joy is, an intuitive sense of a Self perceived to be the Self in every living thing.
                  I find the past dissolving, doubt and anxiety declining....and it requires no real effort.
                  Maybe, Graham, you might find something of help to you in such questioning.
                  If not, I hope that I have not gone on too much.
                  I wish you well.
                  Take care,
                  Gaye.

                  Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
                  Hello grahambraithwaite

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 23, 2005
                    Hey Graham and Gaye, welcome to the group.

                    This book as well as the other one by these authors, The Jesus
                    Mysteries, has been a topic here before but it had kind of disappeared
                    for a bit. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the states the
                    books were pretty popular. We heard quite a few people who expressed
                    the same sentiment as you, Graham, in having found these books in a
                    time when they were falling away from evangelical movements that they
                    felt had literally harmed them in some way.

                    Graham, you stated....

                    >>>"One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very,
                    very isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea
                    exactly how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
                    experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a lapse
                    into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored' by God
                    that have so troubled me in the past."<<<

                    You may be interested to know that a feeling of isolation is almost a
                    sort of hallmark of Gnosticism. In fact, some scholors used to even
                    include this as part of the very definition of the word "Gnosticism",
                    though this has fallen out of favor with more recent critical
                    understanding of the historical movements. All the same, one of the
                    books in the Nag Hammadi library is even called "Allogenes", which
                    means the "Stranger" or "Alien". Gnostics consider the spirit to be
                    something kind of alien and isolated in the world, and the function
                    of "Gnosis" is to get past that flaw of existance.

                    >>"Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my
                    previous despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times
                    during the day to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and faith.
                    I shoukld imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of this week,
                    but I'll be cross-reference quotes and pieces of info from it for
                    quite some time yet I think, so it's going to be with me for quite a
                    while."<<<

                    Feel free to bring up your impressions of the book here in the group
                    for discussion. I think you will find that the topics the book offer
                    will be revisited here in any event. One thing you may be surprised to
                    learn as time goes on is just how different your understanding of
                    Gnosticism may become from what your first impressions may be based on
                    this book. This change may include your notions of faith, and prayer.
                    The Gnostic view of spirituality sometimes may seem so different from
                    what modern Christians are used to that they find it hard to
                    understand. This is because there are base assumptions within modern
                    Christianity that are so intrinsic that even people who have left the
                    church find it hard to view the same passages in the different light
                    that earlier Christians sometimes saw them in. The function of faith
                    as salvation is one of those differences, the destinction between the
                    Demiurge and the infinite "Source" is another, and there are many more.

                    Having said that, I would like to welcome all our new members, and to
                    give this one piece of advice as we talk about the subject of
                    Gnosticism... try not to see it from the context of modern
                    Christianity. Be aware that even though many terms that exist in
                    modern Christianity also exist in Gnosticism (e.g. Logos, "God", and
                    Father) they may have very different meanings for these traditional
                    Gnostic groups.

                    PMCV
                  • gaye verrall
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                      Hi,
                      Thanks for the welcome to the group and for all the work you put in to
                      helping to cultivate understanding of the faith.
                      Much appreciated.
                      Best wishes,
                      Gaye.

                    • David Wilson
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 24, 2005

                        Does this group ever have, weekly study sessions. to where a reference is read by eveyone and for the rest of the week it up for open discussion? or is anyone up for that?

                        The other thing I wanted to meantion, I read everyones talking about Gnostic Bibles, I haven't heard any one mention about the Nag Hammadi, dead sea scrolls, or any any other arena similiar to those which have direct relations with Gnosticism.

                        sinicerely,

                        David

                        Do You Yahoo!?
                      • Graham Braithwaite
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                          Dear PMCV,

                          Like Gaye I want to say thank you for welcoming us to the group. I've been inundated with replies from lots of very helpful and well meaning people, and I hope you'll all appreciate the fact tht my replies may be quite short due to the number of 'thank you notes' that I feel I msut write.

                          Thank you also for taking the time to write such a long e-mail with so many interesting points. I was very interested in what you had to say about my feeling of isolation, and I hope I didn't give the impression that I had become something of a 'reluctant hermit' who misses the bright lights and the nights out and generall just wants to be where the sin is! The truth is that this feeling of being somehow 'different' from others has been with me for as long as I can remember - right back even into my childhood - so although I'm well used to ploughing a lone spiritual furrow, it gives me great encouragement that there are others like me who have experienced the same kind of things.

                          As I mentioned earlier, I have many people to write to, so I hope you'll understand if I foreshorten this reply at this point, but thank you very much again for taking the time out to reply, and I hope to come across you once again in the weeks and months to come.

                          best regards.
                          Graham

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                            Greetings, everyone!

                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, David Wilson
                            <light_life_love@y...> wrote:

                            > Does this group ever have, weekly study sessions. to where a
                            reference is read by eveyone and for the rest of the week it up for
                            open discussion? or is anyone up for that?

                            David, we haven't been quite that structured into study sessions, but
                            if enough people are game, we would be happy to accommodate your
                            interest.

                            We generally entertain questions or comments anyone wants to bring to
                            the forum, including specific article or scripture references.

                            > The other thing I wanted to meantion, I read everyones talking
                            about Gnostic Bibles, I haven't heard any one mention about the Nag
                            Hammadi, dead sea scrolls, or any any other arena similiar to those
                            which have direct relations with Gnosticism.

                            > sinicerely,
                            >
                            > David

                            Well, we're not talking about a variation of the Christian orthodox
                            Bible here. Actually, "The Gnostic Bible" is just a name given by
                            the authors to a compendium of historical Gnostic literature, in
                            addition to works from related groups.

                            Speaking of Nag Hammadi texts (included in _The Gnostic Bible_), I'd
                            also recommend James M. Robinson's _The Nag Hammadi Library_. _The
                            Gnostic Scriptures_ edited by Bentley Layton also contains a
                            selection of Gnostic scriptures with excellent translations and
                            commentary.

                            For new members, as I mentioned in my last post, don't forget to
                            check out our "links" section for suggested readings. Gnostic texts,
                            online lectures, and suggested readings can also be found online at
                            the Gnosis Archive listed in "links."
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/links

                            Cari
                          • josephine0214
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                              The links are very helpful. I wrote down some books I'd like to check
                              out of the library (eventually may purchase them). Some of my
                              colleagues have mentioned Sylvia Brown's books also, another bunch i
                              need to check out!

                              please clarify this for me-The Gnostic Bible we have termed here, is
                              this the only translation of the original scrolls found near the town
                              of Nag Hammadi, or are there other translations?

                              I think a weekly study session is a great idea and would be
                              interesting;however, I know it would be too difficult for me
                              personally, with crazy schedules with children, sports, etc to
                              actually be able to specifically pinpoint a day and time for that.

                              thanks everyone!
                              peace,
                              -jos

                              > Greetings, everyone!
                              >

                              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, David Wilson
                              > <light_life_love@y...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Does this group ever have, weekly study sessions. to where a
                              > reference is read by eveyone and for the rest of the week it up for
                              > open discussion? or is anyone up for that?
                              >

                              > David, we haven't been quite that structured into study sessions,
                              but
                              > if enough people are game, we would be happy to accommodate your
                              > interest.
                              >
                              > We generally entertain questions or comments anyone wants to bring
                              > the forum, including specific article or scripture references.
                              >

                              > > The other thing I wanted to meantion, I read everyones talking
                              > about Gnostic Bibles, I haven't heard any one mention about the Nag
                              > Hammadi, dead sea scrolls, or any any other arena similiar to those
                              > which have direct relations with Gnosticism.
                              > >
                              > > sinicerely,
                              > >
                              > > David
                              > >

                              > Well, we're not talking about a variation of the Christian orthodox
                              > Bible here. Actually, "The Gnostic Bible" is just a name given by
                              > the authors to a compendium of historical Gnostic literature, in
                              > addition to works from related groups.
                              >
                              > Speaking of Nag Hammadi texts (included in _The Gnostic Bible_),
                              I'd
                              > also recommend James M. Robinson's _The Nag Hammadi Library_. _The
                              > Gnostic Scriptures_ edited by Bentley Layton also contains a
                              > selection of Gnostic scriptures with excellent translations and
                              > commentary.
                              >
                              > For new members, as I mentioned in my last post, don't forget to
                              > check out our "links" section for suggested readings. Gnostic
                              texts,
                              > online lectures, and suggested readings can also be found online at
                              > the Gnosis Archive listed in "links."
                              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/links
                              >

                              > Cari
                            • cynthia jarrell
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                I'm game!

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                  --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "josephine0214"
                                  <josephine0214@y...> wrote:

                                  > please clarify this for me-The Gnostic Bible we have termed here,
                                  is
                                  > this the only translation of the original scrolls found near the
                                  town
                                  > of Nag Hammadi, or are there other translations?

                                  No, there certainly are other translations, books and online... a few
                                  I referenced in my last post. Jos, you might want to plug "Nag
                                  Hammadi Library" in your favorite search engine and come up with
                                  other sources. Also, perhaps others might like to post additional
                                  translation sources they prefer.

                                  > I think a weekly study session is a great idea and would be
                                  > interesting;however, I know it would be too difficult for me
                                  > personally, with crazy schedules with children, sports, etc to
                                  > actually be able to specifically pinpoint a day and time for that.
                                  >
                                  > thanks everyone!
                                  > peace,
                                  > -jos

                                  David's suggestion was to post a reference for discussion once a
                                  week, allowing comments for the remainder of the week, if I
                                  understand correctly. That should provide a lot flexibility for
                                  comments, even for those with crazy schedules.

                                  Cari
                                • josephine0214
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                    thank you for the clarification! - and sure, i'm game for discussions
                                    on literature etc DAvid suggested :)
                                    jos

                                    > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "josephine0214"
                                    > <josephine0214@y...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > please clarify this for me-The Gnostic Bible we have termed here,
                                    > is
                                    > > this the only translation of the original scrolls found near the
                                    > town
                                    > > of Nag Hammadi, or are there other translations?
                                    >

                                    > No, there certainly are other translations, books and online... a
                                    few
                                    > I referenced in my last post. Jos, you might want to plug "Nag
                                    > Hammadi Library" in your favorite search engine and come up with
                                    > other sources. Also, perhaps others might like to post additional
                                    > translation sources they prefer.
                                    >

                                    > > I think a weekly study session is a great idea and would be
                                    > > interesting;however, I know it would be too difficult for me
                                    > > personally, with crazy schedules with children, sports, etc to
                                    > > actually be able to specifically pinpoint a day and time for that.
                                    > >
                                    > > thanks everyone!
                                    > > peace,
                                    > > -jos
                                    >

                                    > David's suggestion was to post a reference for discussion once a
                                    > week, allowing comments for the remainder of the week, if I
                                    > understand correctly. That should provide a lot flexibility for
                                    > comments, even for those with crazy schedules.
                                    >

                                    > Cari
                                  • janahooks
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                      Hello, Jenny and Mike. Thanks for posting the article, Jenny. I
                                      actually daydream about visiting there. :) Mike, I sure wish you
                                      fellas could come to the East to enlighten us. (But wait until we see
                                      what the demiurge has scheduled for hurricane season--our version
                                      of "sweeps".)

                                      jana

                                      My next read

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                        Hey David

                                        Well, we had tried in the past to actually work through individual
                                        texts... but it never seems to go anywhere. Part of this is simply
                                        because of how involved the conversations can be. But as Cari points
                                        out, we do like to see this kind of conversation happen here.

                                        Perhaps then you would consider bringing up the specific points of
                                        interest that you would most like to see more detailed conversation
                                        about. That goes for all the members here.... the more you bring up
                                        the more conversation there will be about it. Whether it is the
                                        confusing lingo of Gnosticism, or some philosophical point that
                                        seems difficult to grasp, or if there are some specific scriptures
                                        that have special meaning to you, your own inputs are where the
                                        topics come from so let the rest of us know.

                                        PMCV

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                          Hello David

                                          On 05/24/05, you wrote:

                                          > Does this group ever have, weekly study sessions. to where a
                                          > reference is read by eveyone and for the rest of the week it up for
                                          > open discussion? or is anyone up for that?
                                          >
                                          > The other thing I wanted to meantion, I read everyones talking about
                                          > Gnostic Bibles, I haven't heard any one mention about the Nag
                                          > Hammadi, dead sea scrolls, or any any other arena similiar to those
                                          > which have direct relations with Gnosticism.
                                          >
                                          > sinicerely,
                                          >
                                          > David

                                          You must have missed my messages then. One pairs it with the Gnostic
                                          Bible as a basic text and the other menitons the Coptic Text/English
                                          translation edition of the NAJ HAMADI LIBRARY for those who want the
                                          original Coptic text. I have read the whole thing (English only),
                                          how well I understood it is another question. I'm going to tackle
                                          the Gnostic Bible and THE GNOSTIC SCRIPTURES next. My next read
                                          though is the article on Stephan Höeller in the L. A. Weekley.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                            Hello lady_caritas

                                            On 05/24/05, you wrote:
                                            > For new members, as I mentioned in my last post, don't forget to
                                            > check out our "links" section for suggested readings. Gnostic texts,
                                            > online lectures, and suggested readings can also be found online at
                                            > the Gnosis Archive listed in "links."
                                            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/links
                                            >

                                            > Cari

                                            Thank you for the URL, it will save search time for people wanting
                                            those links.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                              Hello janahooks

                                              On 05/25/05, you wrote:

                                              > Hello, Jenny and Mike. Thanks for posting the article, Jenny. I
                                              > actually daydream about visiting there. :) Mike, I sure wish you
                                              > fellas could come to the East to enlighten us. (But wait until we
                                              > see what the demiurge has scheduled for hurricane season--our
                                              > version of "sweeps".)
                                              >
                                              > jana

                                              The closest Stephan is getting this year is the National Theosophical
                                              Conference in Wheaton, Ill., just out of Chicago.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 25, 2005

                                                > Well, we're not talking about a variation of the Christian orthodox
                                                > Bible here. Actually, "The Gnostic Bible" is just a name given by
                                                > the authors to a compendium of historical Gnostic literature, in
                                                > addition to works from related groups.

                                                I'd like to make a clarification here. I was *only* referring to the
                                                specific book, _The Gnostic Bible_ (Barnstone and Myer), in my
                                                comment above.

                                                As we have discussed many times in the past, Gnostics certainly used
                                                some of the same scripture, albeit with different interpretation,
                                                that ended up being compiled in an orthodox Bible. Gerry brought up
                                                an excellent discussion recently regarding translations and whether
                                                anyone had found a version of the Bible that had "a more
                                                favorably `Gnostic' bias":

                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                                                  So, any ideas for topics for our first weekly study session,...
                                                  anyone?

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                                                    Okay, Gich, thank you. That's a doozie. I'll begin a new thread...

                                                    BTW, members, this thread will be an addition, not a substitute, to
                                                    our usual discussions. Feel free to bring up questions and comments
                                                    in new threads, as you'd like.