A request for help...

  • grahambraithwaite
    Message 1 of 26 , May 22, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm writing this from Yorkshire in England as a new adherent of the
      Gnostic faith, and I'm just pretty much looking for some friends to
      help me along the way into a realisation of Gnosis.

      In a nutshell, I've reached this point via a torturous spiritual
      journey that saw me have a previous interest in Gnosticism that was
      torn away from me by becoming involved in, and then hopelessly
      entangled in what were to become, for me, the harsh tentacles of
      Evangelical and, later, Charismatic Christianity. I left the
      Charismatic churches around ten years ago but it has taken me until
      now to pick myself up and take my courage in both hands to try to
      make sense of what happened to me in a way that enables me to go on
      to start to put things together again.

      In the time that I've been out of the 'Church', I've read lots of
      books on faith and belief and the subject matter of those has
      gradually taken me further and further away from the standard
      teachings of the Church to a present point where I now feel that
      I've 'come home' to be most interested in books about the 'hidden
      mysteries' in general and Gnosticism in particular. I've just bought
      a book called 'Jesus and the Lost Goddess'by Tim Freke and Peter
      Gandy, and I feel that I've reached a new awareness and insight of
      all that might have actually been happening to me over the years, so
      this is the reason why I'm now looking for take up correspondence in
      this way. I just feel that I need to spend a little bit of time
      relating the past to a few 'fellow travellers' in the hope that we
      might touch on things in the course of those exchanges that prove to
      be both both interesting and mutually beneficial to us all.

      I hope you'll apreciate that it's fairly difficult to condense the
      experiences of many adult years into one brief message in this way,
      but I nonetheless hope that one or more of you might feel disposed
      toward dropping me a line in the hope that we can have a chat.

      Thanks in advance for any help that this might turn up, and I look
      forward to hearing from you soon.
    • gaye verrall
      Message 2 of 26 , May 22, 2005
        Greetings and hi to you Graham,
        I too am living in England and been drawn to Gnosticism. I am quite new to this group.
        Sad to hear that you have suffered so long but hopefully there is wisdom and
        self-knowledge that is flowering from this.
        The way is long and arduous but it is worthwhile.
        The Noble One, the Self, will see you through.
        Sophia never deserts.
        Take care,
        Gaye.

        grahambraithwaite <graham.braithwaite@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?

      • grahambraithwaite
        Message 3 of 26 , May 22, 2005
          Dear Gaye,

          Many thanks for getting in touch with me, and for the kind words of
          support in your message. It's good to know that there are people out
          there who are prepared to sympathize with someone like myself who has
          had a bad time of it with mainstream religion, and I'm grateful that
          you took the time to show that.

          One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very, very
          isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea exactly
          how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
          experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a lapse
          into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored' by God
          that have so troubled me in the past.

          Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my previous
          despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times during the day
          to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and faith. I shoukld
          imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of this week, but I'll be
          cross-reference quotes and pieces of info from it for quite some time
          yet I think, so it's going to be with me for quite a while.

          I'll close here before I detain you any longer, but thank you again for
          getting in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you again. By the
          way, I'm in Yeadon near Leeds. Whereabouts in England are you?

          best regards,
          Graham
        • Graham Braithwaite
          Message 4 of 26 , May 22, 2005
            Mike,

            Thanks very much for your help. I'll have a look at the material you recommend, and I'll hopefully find therein some more of the help that I've been looking for.

            Many thanks to you again.

            Best regards,
            Graham

            On 5/22/05, Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
            Hello grahambraithwaite

            On 05/22/05, you wrote:

            > Dear Gaye,
            >
            > Many thanks for getting in touch with me, and for the kind words of
            > support in your message. It's good to know that there are people out
            > there who are prepared to sympathize with someone like myself who
            > has had a bad time of it with mainstream religion, and I'm grateful
            > that you took the time to show that.
            >
            > One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very,
            > very isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea
            > exactly how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
            > experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a
            > lapse into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored'
            > by God that have so troubled me in the past.
            >
            > Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my
            > previous despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times
            > during the day to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and
            > faith. I shoukld imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of
            > this week, but I'll be cross-reference quotes and pieces of info
            > from it for quite some time yet I think, so it's going to be with me
            > for quite a while.
            >
            > I'll close here before I detain you any longer, but thank you again
            > for getting in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you again.
            > By the way, I'm in Yeadon near Leeds. Whereabouts in England are
            > you?
            >
            > best regards,
            > Graham

            Go to the Website of this group, there is a list of recommended
            readings.  Reading the original scriptures in THE GNOSTIC BIBLE or
            THE NAJ HAMADI LIBRARY is a good exercise.

            Mike Leavitt  ac998@...

            Message 5 of 26 , May 22, 2005
              Hello grahambraithwaite

              On 05/22/05, you wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I'm writing this from Yorkshire in England as a new adherent of the
              > Gnostic faith, and I'm just pretty much looking for some friends to
              > help me along the way into a realisation of Gnosis.
              >
              > In a nutshell, I've reached this point via a torturous spiritual
              > journey that saw me have a previous interest in Gnosticism that was
              > torn away from me by becoming involved in, and then hopelessly
              > entangled in what were to become, for me, the harsh tentacles of
              > Evangelical and, later, Charismatic Christianity. I left the
              > Charismatic churches around ten years ago but it has taken me until
              > now to pick myself up and take my courage in both hands to try to
              > make sense of what happened to me in a way that enables me to go on
              > to start to put things together again.
              >
              > In the time that I've been out of the 'Church', I've read lots of
              > books on faith and belief and the subject matter of those has
              > gradually taken me further and further away from the standard
              > teachings of the Church to a present point where I now feel that
              > I've 'come home' to be most interested in books about the 'hidden
              > mysteries' in general and Gnosticism in particular. I've just bought
              > a book called 'Jesus and the Lost Goddess'by Tim Freke and Peter
              > Gandy, and I feel that I've reached a new awareness and insight of
              > all that might have actually been happening to me over the years, so
              > this is the reason why I'm now looking for take up correspondence in
              > this way. I just feel that I need to spend a little bit of time
              > relating the past to a few 'fellow travellers' in the hope that we
              > might touch on things in the course of those exchanges that prove to
              > be both both interesting and mutually beneficial to us all.
              >
              > I hope you'll apreciate that it's fairly difficult to condense the
              > experiences of many adult years into one brief message in this way,
              > but I nonetheless hope that one or more of you might feel disposed
              > toward dropping me a line in the hope that we can have a chat.
              >
              > Thanks in advance for any help that this might turn up, and I look
              > forward to hearing from you soon.

              Participating on this list will get you a lot of discussion. Feel
              free to ask questions.

              Message 6 of 26 , May 22, 2005
                Hello grahambraithwaite

                On 05/22/05, you wrote:

                > Dear Gaye,
                >
                > Many thanks for getting in touch with me, and for the kind words of
                > support in your message. It's good to know that there are people out
                > there who are prepared to sympathize with someone like myself who
                > has had a bad time of it with mainstream religion, and I'm grateful
                > that you took the time to show that.
                >
                > One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very,
                > very isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea
                > exactly how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
                > experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a
                > lapse into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored'
                > by God that have so troubled me in the past.
                >
                > Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my
                > previous despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times
                > during the day to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and
                > faith. I shoukld imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of
                > this week, but I'll be cross-reference quotes and pieces of info
                > from it for quite some time yet I think, so it's going to be with me
                > for quite a while.
                >
                > I'll close here before I detain you any longer, but thank you again
                > for getting in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you again.
                > By the way, I'm in Yeadon near Leeds. Whereabouts in England are
                > you?
                >
                > best regards,
                > Graham

                Go to the Website of this group, there is a list of recommended
                readings. Reading the original scriptures in THE GNOSTIC BIBLE or
                THE NAJ HAMADI LIBRARY is a good exercise.

              • josie
                Message 7 of 26 , May 22, 2005
                  Dear Graham,
                  your summary of your spiritual path sounds very similar to mine,
                  except I do not feel isolated. I have been given books on Centering,
                  Meditating, etc., and that has helped me overcome my unsureness when
                  praying. and I too keep referring to these books as I need to, as
                  well as trying to build my library. I was raised Catholic, but I'm
                  now a "Church-hopper". I go to church when I want and where I want. I
                  usually walk away with a message or information that pertains to my
                  life. I'm also trying to find information on working with my
                  children, one daughter who is clairvoyant.
                  Good luck,
                  jos

                  -- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "grahambraithwaite"
                  <graham.braithwaite@g...> wrote:
                  > Dear Gaye,
                  >
                  > Many thanks for getting in touch with me, and for the kind words of
                  > support in your message. It's good to know that there are people
                  out
                  > there who are prepared to sympathize with someone like myself who
                  has
                  > had a bad time of it with mainstream religion, and I'm grateful
                  that
                  > you took the time to show that.
                  >
                  > One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very,
                  very
                  > isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea
                  exactly
                  > how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
                  > experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a
                  lapse
                  > into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored' by
                  God
                  > that have so troubled me in the past.
                  >
                  > Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my
                  previous
                  > despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times during the
                  day
                  > to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and faith. I shoukld
                  > imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of this week, but
                  I'll be
                  > cross-reference quotes and pieces of info from it for quite some
                  time
                  > yet I think, so it's going to be with me for quite a while.
                  >
                  > I'll close here before I detain you any longer, but thank you again
                  for
                  > getting in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you again. By
                  the
                  > way, I'm in Yeadon near Leeds. Whereabouts in England are you?
                  >
                  > best regards,
                  > Graham
                • Nick Lawrance
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 22, 2005
                    From Graham

                    and I need some real and tangible experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a lapse into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored' by God that have so troubled me in the past.
                    If you want some real and tangible experiences I would suggest that you obtain the Gospel of Thomas and then do what it instructs you to do; i.e attempt to interpret/put into practice what it teaches in the 114 sayings. In fact you won't have to go through all 114, hopefully you should have experiences much sooner than that but you have to into each saying deep and I mean deep.

                    Nick

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 23, 2005
                      Dear Graham,
                      Thanks for responding to me so kindly. I am in London and have been for 20 years now.
                      I too have read this book you are reading and really lapped it up. It put me in touch with a
                      lot of ideas and like yourself I made notes and did a bit of research.
                      It really did feed me for weeks. A great find.
                      Currently I am really seeking to get deeper inside and find out who or what I/we really are
                      all about. I keep asking Who is this?...Who is suffering? Who is seeeing? etc etc
                      What I found is that there is no answer, just a silence that has an encouraging depth to it.
                      The joy is, an intuitive sense of a Self perceived to be the Self in every living thing.
                      I find the past dissolving, doubt and anxiety declining....and it requires no real effort.
                      Maybe, Graham, you might find something of help to you in such questioning.
                      If not, I hope that I have not gone on too much.
                      I wish you well.
                      Take care,
                      Gaye.

                      Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
                      Hello grahambraithwaite

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 23, 2005
                        Hey Graham and Gaye, welcome to the group.

                        This book as well as the other one by these authors, The Jesus
                        Mysteries, has been a topic here before but it had kind of disappeared
                        for a bit. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the states the
                        books were pretty popular. We heard quite a few people who expressed
                        the same sentiment as you, Graham, in having found these books in a
                        time when they were falling away from evangelical movements that they
                        felt had literally harmed them in some way.

                        Graham, you stated....

                        >>>"One of the biggest problems that I'm having is that I feel very,
                        very isolated and simply don't know what to do next. I've no idea
                        exactly how I should pray anymore, and I need some real and tangible
                        experiences of something 'bigger' than me in order to prevent a lapse
                        into the kind of doubts and feelings of simply being 'ignored' by God
                        that have so troubled me in the past."<<<

                        You may be interested to know that a feeling of isolation is almost a
                        sort of hallmark of Gnosticism. In fact, some scholors used to even
                        include this as part of the very definition of the word "Gnosticism",
                        though this has fallen out of favor with more recent critical
                        understanding of the historical movements. All the same, one of the
                        books in the Nag Hammadi library is even called "Allogenes", which
                        means the "Stranger" or "Alien". Gnostics consider the spirit to be
                        something kind of alien and isolated in the world, and the function
                        of "Gnosis" is to get past that flaw of existance.

                        >>"Im being helped very much by the book that I mentioned in my
                        previous despatch, and keep nipping back into it at various times
                        during the day to get another quick 'fix' of encouragement and faith.
                        I shoukld imagine that I'll have it finished by the end of this week,
                        but I'll be cross-reference quotes and pieces of info from it for
                        quite some time yet I think, so it's going to be with me for quite a
                        while."<<<

                        Feel free to bring up your impressions of the book here in the group
                        for discussion. I think you will find that the topics the book offer
                        will be revisited here in any event. One thing you may be surprised to
                        learn as time goes on is just how different your understanding of
                        Gnosticism may become from what your first impressions may be based on
                        this book. This change may include your notions of faith, and prayer.
                        The Gnostic view of spirituality sometimes may seem so different from
                        what modern Christians are used to that they find it hard to
                        understand. This is because there are base assumptions within modern
                        Christianity that are so intrinsic that even people who have left the
                        church find it hard to view the same passages in the different light
                        that earlier Christians sometimes saw them in. The function of faith
                        as salvation is one of those differences, the destinction between the
                        Demiurge and the infinite "Source" is another, and there are many more.

                        Having said that, I would like to welcome all our new members, and to
                        give this one piece of advice as we talk about the subject of
                        Gnosticism... try not to see it from the context of modern
                        Christianity. Be aware that even though many terms that exist in
                        modern Christianity also exist in Gnosticism (e.g. Logos, "God", and
                        Father) they may have very different meanings for these traditional
                        Gnostic groups.

                        PMCV
                      • gaye verrall
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                          Hi,
                          Thanks for the welcome to the group and for all the work you put in to
                          helping to cultivate understanding of the faith.
                          Much appreciated.
                          Best wishes,
                          Gaye.

                        • David Wilson
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 24, 2005

                            Does this group ever have, weekly study sessions. to where a reference is read by eveyone and for the rest of the week it up for open discussion? or is anyone up for that?

                            The other thing I wanted to meantion, I read everyones talking about Gnostic Bibles, I haven't heard any one mention about the Nag Hammadi, dead sea scrolls, or any any other arena similiar to those which have direct relations with Gnosticism.

                            sinicerely,

                            David

                            Do You Yahoo!?
                          • Graham Braithwaite
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                              Dear PMCV,

                              Like Gaye I want to say thank you for welcoming us to the group. I've been inundated with replies from lots of very helpful and well meaning people, and I hope you'll all appreciate the fact tht my replies may be quite short due to the number of 'thank you notes' that I feel I msut write.

                              Thank you also for taking the time to write such a long e-mail with so many interesting points. I was very interested in what you had to say about my feeling of isolation, and I hope I didn't give the impression that I had become something of a 'reluctant hermit' who misses the bright lights and the nights out and generall just wants to be where the sin is! The truth is that this feeling of being somehow 'different' from others has been with me for as long as I can remember - right back even into my childhood - so although I'm well used to ploughing a lone spiritual furrow, it gives me great encouragement that there are others like me who have experienced the same kind of things.

                              As I mentioned earlier, I have many people to write to, so I hope you'll understand if I foreshorten this reply at this point, but thank you very much again for taking the time out to reply, and I hope to come across you once again in the weeks and months to come.

                              best regards.
                              Graham

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                Greetings, everyone!

                                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, David Wilson
                                <light_life_love@y...> wrote:

                                > Does this group ever have, weekly study sessions. to where a
                                reference is read by eveyone and for the rest of the week it up for
                                open discussion? or is anyone up for that?

                                David, we haven't been quite that structured into study sessions, but
                                if enough people are game, we would be happy to accommodate your
                                interest.

                                We generally entertain questions or comments anyone wants to bring to
                                the forum, including specific article or scripture references.

                                > The other thing I wanted to meantion, I read everyones talking
                                about Gnostic Bibles, I haven't heard any one mention about the Nag
                                Hammadi, dead sea scrolls, or any any other arena similiar to those
                                which have direct relations with Gnosticism.

                                > sinicerely,
                                >
                                > David

                                Well, we're not talking about a variation of the Christian orthodox
                                Bible here. Actually, "The Gnostic Bible" is just a name given by
                                the authors to a compendium of historical Gnostic literature, in
                                addition to works from related groups.

                                Speaking of Nag Hammadi texts (included in _The Gnostic Bible_), I'd
                                also recommend James M. Robinson's _The Nag Hammadi Library_. _The
                                Gnostic Scriptures_ edited by Bentley Layton also contains a
                                selection of Gnostic scriptures with excellent translations and
                                commentary.

                                For new members, as I mentioned in my last post, don't forget to
                                check out our "links" section for suggested readings. Gnostic texts,
                                online lectures, and suggested readings can also be found online at
                                the Gnosis Archive listed in "links."
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/links

                                Cari
                              • josephine0214
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                  The links are very helpful. I wrote down some books I'd like to check
                                  out of the library (eventually may purchase them). Some of my
                                  colleagues have mentioned Sylvia Brown's books also, another bunch i
                                  need to check out!

                                  please clarify this for me-The Gnostic Bible we have termed here, is
                                  this the only translation of the original scrolls found near the town
                                  of Nag Hammadi, or are there other translations?

                                  I think a weekly study session is a great idea and would be
                                  interesting;however, I know it would be too difficult for me
                                  personally, with crazy schedules with children, sports, etc to
                                  actually be able to specifically pinpoint a day and time for that.

                                  thanks everyone!
                                  peace,
                                  -jos

                                  > Greetings, everyone!
                                  >

                                  > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, David Wilson
                                  > <light_life_love@y...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Does this group ever have, weekly study sessions. to where a
                                  > reference is read by eveyone and for the rest of the week it up for
                                  > open discussion? or is anyone up for that?
                                  >

                                  > David, we haven't been quite that structured into study sessions,
                                  but
                                  > if enough people are game, we would be happy to accommodate your
                                  > interest.
                                  >
                                  > We generally entertain questions or comments anyone wants to bring
                                  > the forum, including specific article or scripture references.
                                  >

                                  > > The other thing I wanted to meantion, I read everyones talking
                                  > about Gnostic Bibles, I haven't heard any one mention about the Nag
                                  > Hammadi, dead sea scrolls, or any any other arena similiar to those
                                  > which have direct relations with Gnosticism.
                                  > >
                                  > > sinicerely,
                                  > >
                                  > > David
                                  > >

                                  > Well, we're not talking about a variation of the Christian orthodox
                                  > Bible here. Actually, "The Gnostic Bible" is just a name given by
                                  > the authors to a compendium of historical Gnostic literature, in
                                  > addition to works from related groups.
                                  >
                                  > Speaking of Nag Hammadi texts (included in _The Gnostic Bible_),
                                  I'd
                                  > also recommend James M. Robinson's _The Nag Hammadi Library_. _The
                                  > Gnostic Scriptures_ edited by Bentley Layton also contains a
                                  > selection of Gnostic scriptures with excellent translations and
                                  > commentary.
                                  >
                                  > For new members, as I mentioned in my last post, don't forget to
                                  > check out our "links" section for suggested readings. Gnostic
                                  texts,
                                  > online lectures, and suggested readings can also be found online at
                                  > the Gnosis Archive listed in "links."
                                  > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/links
                                  >

                                  > Cari
                                • cynthia jarrell
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                    I'm game!

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "josephine0214"
                                      <josephine0214@y...> wrote:

                                      > please clarify this for me-The Gnostic Bible we have termed here,
                                      is
                                      > this the only translation of the original scrolls found near the
                                      town
                                      > of Nag Hammadi, or are there other translations?

                                      No, there certainly are other translations, books and online... a few
                                      I referenced in my last post. Jos, you might want to plug "Nag
                                      Hammadi Library" in your favorite search engine and come up with
                                      other sources. Also, perhaps others might like to post additional
                                      translation sources they prefer.

                                      > I think a weekly study session is a great idea and would be
                                      > interesting;however, I know it would be too difficult for me
                                      > personally, with crazy schedules with children, sports, etc to
                                      > actually be able to specifically pinpoint a day and time for that.
                                      >
                                      > thanks everyone!
                                      > peace,
                                      > -jos

                                      David's suggestion was to post a reference for discussion once a
                                      week, allowing comments for the remainder of the week, if I
                                      understand correctly. That should provide a lot flexibility for
                                      comments, even for those with crazy schedules.

                                      Cari
                                    • josephine0214
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                        thank you for the clarification! - and sure, i'm game for discussions
                                        on literature etc DAvid suggested :)
                                        jos

                                        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "josephine0214"
                                        > <josephine0214@y...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > please clarify this for me-The Gnostic Bible we have termed here,
                                        > is
                                        > > this the only translation of the original scrolls found near the
                                        > town
                                        > > of Nag Hammadi, or are there other translations?
                                        >

                                        > No, there certainly are other translations, books and online... a
                                        few
                                        > I referenced in my last post. Jos, you might want to plug "Nag
                                        > Hammadi Library" in your favorite search engine and come up with
                                        > other sources. Also, perhaps others might like to post additional
                                        > translation sources they prefer.
                                        >

                                        > > I think a weekly study session is a great idea and would be
                                        > > interesting;however, I know it would be too difficult for me
                                        > > personally, with crazy schedules with children, sports, etc to
                                        > > actually be able to specifically pinpoint a day and time for that.
                                        > >
                                        > > thanks everyone!
                                        > > peace,
                                        > > -jos
                                        >

                                        > David's suggestion was to post a reference for discussion once a
                                        > week, allowing comments for the remainder of the week, if I
                                        > understand correctly. That should provide a lot flexibility for
                                        > comments, even for those with crazy schedules.
                                        >

                                        > Cari
                                      • janahooks
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                          Hello, Jenny and Mike. Thanks for posting the article, Jenny. I
                                          actually daydream about visiting there. :) Mike, I sure wish you
                                          fellas could come to the East to enlighten us. (But wait until we see
                                          what the demiurge has scheduled for hurricane season--our version
                                          of "sweeps".)

                                          jana

                                          My next read

                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                            Hey David

                                            Well, we had tried in the past to actually work through individual
                                            texts... but it never seems to go anywhere. Part of this is simply
                                            because of how involved the conversations can be. But as Cari points
                                            out, we do like to see this kind of conversation happen here.

                                            Perhaps then you would consider bringing up the specific points of
                                            interest that you would most like to see more detailed conversation
                                            about. That goes for all the members here.... the more you bring up
                                            the more conversation there will be about it. Whether it is the
                                            confusing lingo of Gnosticism, or some philosophical point that
                                            seems difficult to grasp, or if there are some specific scriptures
                                            that have special meaning to you, your own inputs are where the
                                            topics come from so let the rest of us know.

                                            PMCV

                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                              Hello David

                                              On 05/24/05, you wrote:

                                              > Does this group ever have, weekly study sessions. to where a
                                              > reference is read by eveyone and for the rest of the week it up for
                                              > open discussion? or is anyone up for that?
                                              >
                                              > The other thing I wanted to meantion, I read everyones talking about
                                              > Gnostic Bibles, I haven't heard any one mention about the Nag
                                              > Hammadi, dead sea scrolls, or any any other arena similiar to those
                                              > which have direct relations with Gnosticism.
                                              >
                                              > sinicerely,
                                              >
                                              > David

                                              You must have missed my messages then. One pairs it with the Gnostic
                                              Bible as a basic text and the other menitons the Coptic Text/English
                                              translation edition of the NAJ HAMADI LIBRARY for those who want the
                                              original Coptic text. I have read the whole thing (English only),
                                              how well I understood it is another question. I'm going to tackle
                                              the Gnostic Bible and THE GNOSTIC SCRIPTURES next. My next read
                                              though is the article on Stephan Höeller in the L. A. Weekley.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                                Hello lady_caritas

                                                On 05/24/05, you wrote:
                                                > For new members, as I mentioned in my last post, don't forget to
                                                > check out our "links" section for suggested readings. Gnostic texts,
                                                > online lectures, and suggested readings can also be found online at
                                                > the Gnosis Archive listed in "links."
                                                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/links
                                                >

                                                > Cari

                                                Thank you for the URL, it will save search time for people wanting
                                                those links.

                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 24, 2005
                                                  Hello janahooks

                                                  On 05/25/05, you wrote:

                                                  > Hello, Jenny and Mike. Thanks for posting the article, Jenny. I
                                                  > actually daydream about visiting there. :) Mike, I sure wish you
                                                  > fellas could come to the East to enlighten us. (But wait until we
                                                  > see what the demiurge has scheduled for hurricane season--our
                                                  > version of "sweeps".)
                                                  >
                                                  > jana

                                                  The closest Stephan is getting this year is the National Theosophical
                                                  Conference in Wheaton, Ill., just out of Chicago.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 25, 2005

                                                    > Well, we're not talking about a variation of the Christian orthodox
                                                    > Bible here. Actually, "The Gnostic Bible" is just a name given by
                                                    > the authors to a compendium of historical Gnostic literature, in
                                                    > addition to works from related groups.

                                                    I'd like to make a clarification here. I was *only* referring to the
                                                    specific book, _The Gnostic Bible_ (Barnstone and Myer), in my
                                                    comment above.

                                                    As we have discussed many times in the past, Gnostics certainly used
                                                    some of the same scripture, albeit with different interpretation,
                                                    that ended up being compiled in an orthodox Bible. Gerry brought up
                                                    an excellent discussion recently regarding translations and whether
                                                    anyone had found a version of the Bible that had "a more
                                                    favorably `Gnostic' bias":

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                                                      So, any ideas for topics for our first weekly study session,...
                                                      anyone?

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , May 27, 2005
                                                        Okay, Gich, thank you. That's a doozie. I'll begin a new thread...

                                                        BTW, members, this thread will be an addition, not a substitute, to
                                                        our usual discussions. Feel free to bring up questions and comments
                                                        in new threads, as you'd like.