Re: thank you everyone

  • George Harvey
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2005
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "josie" <josephine0214@y...> wrote:

      > a friend of mine has a Gnostic Bible.

      Hi Josie,
      Would this be "The Gnostic Bible" edited by Willis Barnstone and
      Marvin Meyer? Or is there another Gnostic Bible that I don't know
      about?

      George
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2005
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "George Harvey"
        <georgeatnsn@y...> wrote:

        > Hi Josie,
        > Would this be "The Gnostic Bible" edited by Willis Barnstone and
        > Marvin Meyer? Or is there another Gnostic Bible that I don't know
        > about?
        >
        > George

        I believe that the Barnstone/Meyer anthology is the only work
        currently bearing that name.

        I'm not sure what you had in mind as far as another book might be
        concerned, but you remind me of a question I was discussing with a
        friend recently, and I don't wish to pass up the obvious segue here
        for a group question: For readers who occasionally, or even
        frequently, look to increase their understanding of Gnostic concepts
        through comparing or contrasting passages in canonical scripture, I'm
        curious which version(s) of the Bible you prefer? Furthermore, if
        anyone cares to elaborate, what do you find most appealing or
        disappointing about said version(s)?

        Feeling that the proto-orthodox had failed to perceive the "images"
        represented by the "literal" information related in biblical
        passages, certain Gnostics sought to demonstrate their more spiritual
        interpretation of those same texts used by their mainstream
        brethren. Of course, they were at an advantage over us in that they
        had both access to and comprehension of the original sources.
        Unfortunately, most of us might say that anything short of an English
        translation would be Greek to us (even if it were written in Hebrew!).

        In past discussions here, we've mentioned a couple of books by Elaine
        Pagels dealing with Gnostic hermeneutics:

        • The Gnostic Paul: Gnostic Exegesis of the Pauline Letters
        • The Johannine Gospel in Gnostic Exegesis: Heracleon's Commentary on
        John.

        In those books, I don't see where Prof. Pagels has cited any
        particular versions as the source for the biblical passages she
        references, so I assume that the translations of those verses are her
        own. Obviously, she attempts to word them so as to make it clearer
        for us modern readers to pick up on the nuances of terms that were
        obvious to those early Gnostic exegetes, but which might be otherwise
        completely lost on the likes of us, having suffered the bias of one
        translator or another through the years.

        To rephrase my question more simply, I suppose I'm wondering if
        anyone has found a version of the Bible that has a more
        favorably "Gnostic" bias?

        In order to see distinctions between certain terms like "pneumatic"
        and "psychic" (which can be blurred in translation), I often find it
        necessary to consult my huge copy of _The Interlinear Bible_
        (Hendrickson Publishers). As helpful as it can be for verifying the
        original wording of scriptures, it IS a rather hefty volume, and not
        necessarily the first source you want to drag out when looking up a
        particular passage. Also, as large as it is, the print is actually
        smaller than the type used in my mid-sized NIV Study Bible. There
        ARE on-line versions of biblical text in Greek, but since I'm not
        always sitting at the computer, it would be nice to find something
        that had the convenience of an easily grasped study Bible, yet
        maintained a fairly accurate, non-mainstreamed translation. Am I
        living in my idealistic world again, or is such a compromise possible?

        Gerry
      • josephine0214
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2005
          Hi Gerry & George
          I'll honestly say i'm not sure about the Gnostic Bible-i assume the
          one i'll be checking out is this one you mentioned. as i mentioned-
          this is all very new to me! i'm soaking all this information in, as
          much as my feeble brain will allow :)

          I'm curious, does anyone know if the original texts found are
          preserved somewhere?

          thanks!
          peace,
          jos

          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2005
            Hello josephine0214

            On 05/23/05, you wrote:

            > Hi Gerry & George
            > I'll honestly say i'm not sure about the Gnostic Bible-i assume the
            > one i'll be checking out is this one you mentioned. as i mentioned-
            > this is all very new to me! i'm soaking all this information in, as
            > much as my feeble brain will allow :)
            >
            > I'm curious, does anyone know if the original texts found are
            > preserved somewhere?
            >
            > thanks!
            > peace,
            > jos

            THE GNOSTIC BIBLE edited by Willis Barnstone and Marvin Myer.

            If you have several thousand dollars (well at least one) you can bye
            and edition of the Naj Hammadi library with the Coptic on one side,
            and English on the other. Very handy if your Coptic is a little
            weak. :-)