thank you everyone

  • josie
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2005
      thanks for the warm welcoming!

      I think the Gospel of Mary will be my "summer reading" so it may take
      awhile. I am one of those that likes to keep physically busy and i
      have a hard time settling for a long period of time to read (thank
      goodness I won't be taking any more UMO courses until the fall!). But
      I am very drawn to learn all I can about Mary, as well as the many
      changes that are occurring within many people (spiritually).

      Does anyone else have any experiences or thoughts on this? I try to
      keep an open mind and not be judgemental. It's relieving to know i'm
      not the only person going thru spiritual changes and digging for
      information. Growing up roman catholic, i was taught from the nuns
      about the stories of the Bible, but I did not have the connection
      until about 10 years ago of the importance.

      a friend of mine has a Gnostic Bible.he introduced me to this, which
      i'm thankful.
      to the ladies that responded so quickly,thanks for your support!

      I worked in the public schools grades k-6, mostly sp.ed., which i
      enjoyed thoroughly, but i can nurture and allow the children to
      become creative in Headstart, where No child left behind doesnt allow
      for that anymore!

      it is so frustrating for the teachers and children! my 10 yr old
      daughter's teacher called yesterday when she was out sick, asking for
      her to come in! since so many kids have been out sick, he has had to
      repeat the direct teaching of what is to be tested on and known to
      pass onto the next year. I ended up sending her, sore
      throat/headache/runny nose and all! i believe tomorrow she'll stay
      home to get better though. I offered i could teach her at home, if he
      gave me the directions. he was going to, but that would take time to
      compile what she needed to have. I understand his predicament. how
      crazy this has become. I feel for anyone who is a teacher and has to
      cope with this!

      I keep telling my children that when they become adults in a few
      years, they will have the power to change all of this unneccessary
      mess within the schools;the laws & justice system, etc. I firmly
      believe there is a change going to happen soon, and those of us with
      faith are connecting for a reason.
      peace
      jos
    • George Harvey
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2005
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "josie" <josephine0214@y...> wrote:

        > a friend of mine has a Gnostic Bible.

        Hi Josie,
        Would this be "The Gnostic Bible" edited by Willis Barnstone and
        Marvin Meyer? Or is there another Gnostic Bible that I don't know
        about?

        George
        Message 3 of 5 , May 19, 2005
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "George Harvey"
          <georgeatnsn@y...> wrote:

          > Hi Josie,
          > Would this be "The Gnostic Bible" edited by Willis Barnstone and
          > Marvin Meyer? Or is there another Gnostic Bible that I don't know
          > about?
          >
          > George

          I believe that the Barnstone/Meyer anthology is the only work
          currently bearing that name.

          I'm not sure what you had in mind as far as another book might be
          concerned, but you remind me of a question I was discussing with a
          friend recently, and I don't wish to pass up the obvious segue here
          for a group question: For readers who occasionally, or even
          frequently, look to increase their understanding of Gnostic concepts
          through comparing or contrasting passages in canonical scripture, I'm
          curious which version(s) of the Bible you prefer? Furthermore, if
          anyone cares to elaborate, what do you find most appealing or
          disappointing about said version(s)?

          Feeling that the proto-orthodox had failed to perceive the "images"
          represented by the "literal" information related in biblical
          passages, certain Gnostics sought to demonstrate their more spiritual
          interpretation of those same texts used by their mainstream
          brethren. Of course, they were at an advantage over us in that they
          had both access to and comprehension of the original sources.
          Unfortunately, most of us might say that anything short of an English
          translation would be Greek to us (even if it were written in Hebrew!).

          In past discussions here, we've mentioned a couple of books by Elaine
          Pagels dealing with Gnostic hermeneutics:

          • The Gnostic Paul: Gnostic Exegesis of the Pauline Letters
          • The Johannine Gospel in Gnostic Exegesis: Heracleon's Commentary on
          John.

          In those books, I don't see where Prof. Pagels has cited any
          particular versions as the source for the biblical passages she
          references, so I assume that the translations of those verses are her
          own. Obviously, she attempts to word them so as to make it clearer
          for us modern readers to pick up on the nuances of terms that were
          obvious to those early Gnostic exegetes, but which might be otherwise
          completely lost on the likes of us, having suffered the bias of one
          translator or another through the years.

          To rephrase my question more simply, I suppose I'm wondering if
          anyone has found a version of the Bible that has a more
          favorably "Gnostic" bias?

          In order to see distinctions between certain terms like "pneumatic"
          and "psychic" (which can be blurred in translation), I often find it
          necessary to consult my huge copy of _The Interlinear Bible_
          (Hendrickson Publishers). As helpful as it can be for verifying the
          original wording of scriptures, it IS a rather hefty volume, and not
          necessarily the first source you want to drag out when looking up a
          particular passage. Also, as large as it is, the print is actually
          smaller than the type used in my mid-sized NIV Study Bible. There
          ARE on-line versions of biblical text in Greek, but since I'm not
          always sitting at the computer, it would be nice to find something
          that had the convenience of an easily grasped study Bible, yet
          maintained a fairly accurate, non-mainstreamed translation. Am I
          living in my idealistic world again, or is such a compromise possible?

          Gerry
        • josephine0214
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2005
            Hi Gerry & George
            I'll honestly say i'm not sure about the Gnostic Bible-i assume the
            one i'll be checking out is this one you mentioned. as i mentioned-
            this is all very new to me! i'm soaking all this information in, as
            much as my feeble brain will allow :)

            I'm curious, does anyone know if the original texts found are
            preserved somewhere?

            thanks!
            peace,
            jos

            Message 5 of 5 , May 23, 2005
              Hello josephine0214

              On 05/23/05, you wrote:

              > Hi Gerry & George
              > I'll honestly say i'm not sure about the Gnostic Bible-i assume the
              > one i'll be checking out is this one you mentioned. as i mentioned-
              > this is all very new to me! i'm soaking all this information in, as
              > much as my feeble brain will allow :)
              >
              > I'm curious, does anyone know if the original texts found are
              > preserved somewhere?
              >
              > thanks!
              > peace,
              > jos

              THE GNOSTIC BIBLE edited by Willis Barnstone and Marvin Myer.

              If you have several thousand dollars (well at least one) you can bye
              and edition of the Naj Hammadi library with the Coptic on one side,
              and English on the other. Very handy if your Coptic is a little
              weak. :-)