Hoeller's (fairly) new book

  • mercyboxfan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2005
      Have you guys read Dr Hoeller's new book Gnosticsim: New Light on the
      Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing? Whew, what a long title, lol.

      If so, what do you think of it? Is it worth my reading it?

      I know alot of you guys are not big fans of the Dr.

      Also, just wanted to say hi to Jerry and pmcv.

      Good to be chatting with you guys again...I have had serious problems
      with yahoo groups in the past, but have a new computer now and I hope I
      wont get booted off and on lie I did.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2005
        Hello mercyboxfan

        On 04/23/05, you wrote:

        > Have you guys read Dr Hoeller's new book Gnosticsim: New Light on
        > the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing? Whew, what a long title,
        > lol.
        >
        > If so, what do you think of it? Is it worth my reading it?
        >
        > I know alot of you guys are not big fans of the Dr.
        >
        > Also, just wanted to say hi to Jerry and pmcv.
        >
        > Good to be chatting with you guys again...I have had serious
        > problems with yahoo groups in the past, but have a new computer now
        > and I hope I wont get booted off and on lie I did.

        Dr Hoeller is my bishop, and a lot of the quibbling is about his
        Jungian orientation. If you take that into account his book is
        great, I read it not long ago. A lot of good info. I have read all
        his books, so what is in one vs another blurrs, except the one on
        freedom and libertarianism, which is more political.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2005
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "mercyboxfan" <mercyboxfan@y...>
          wrote:

          > Have you guys read Dr Hoeller's new book Gnosticsim: New Light on the
          > Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing? Whew, what a long title, lol.
          >
          > If so, what do you think of it? Is it worth my reading it?
          >
          > I know alot of you guys are not big fans of the Dr.
          >
          > Also, just wanted to say hi to Jerry and pmcv.
          >
          > Good to be chatting with you guys again...I have had serious problems
          > with yahoo groups in the past, but have a new computer now and I hope
          > I wont get booted off and on lie I did.

          Hey Anne.

          I certainly wouldn't say that a lot of people here aren't fans of
          Hoeller. On the contrary, many of us are big supporters, and his
          essays have long appeared at the top of our Links section as
          recommended reading for anyone new to the subject. Mention has even
          been made from time to time of the audio files of his lectures at The
          Gnosis Archive. As Mike points out, concerns about the "Jungian
          orientation" might have been cause for an occasional remark regarding a
          critical approach, but I should think we might exercise such caution
          when reading material by ANY author. Well, I'd like to THINK that
          everyone might read so cautiously, but I suppose I really should know
          better by now. ;-)

          As for that particular book, I intentionally didn't bother to recommend
          it the last time I offered a suggested reading list to a new
          member . . . simply because I hadn't finished it yet, and I wanted any
          review I might offer to be more than a speculative impression. Seems
          like I was only a couple chapters into it at the time, and just like an
          entire stack of books I have lying around here that I have STARTED to
          read, it remains unfinished. That really IS embarrassing, especially
          considering how short and accessible it is! Unfortunately, it seems
          that Time is still my biggest enemy, and that situation isn't improving
          in the least. Other half-finished projects, Life's little things, and
          big things continue to pull me in directions I'd rather not have to
          go. Maybe one day I'll learn to go with the flow . . . or at least to
          stop fighting the current so much.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2005
            Hello Gerry

            On 05/01/05, you wrote:

            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "mercyboxfan" <mercyboxfan@y...>
            > wrote:
            >>

            >> Have you guys read Dr Hoeller's new book Gnosticsim: New Light on
            >> the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing? Whew, what a long title,
            >> lol.
            >>
            >> If so, what do you think of it? Is it worth my reading it?
            >>
            >> I know alot of you guys are not big fans of the Dr.
            >>
            >> Also, just wanted to say hi to Jerry and pmcv.
            >>
            >> Good to be chatting with you guys again...I have had serious
            >> problems with yahoo groups in the past, but have a new computer now
            >> and I hope I wont get booted off and on lie I did.
            >

            > Hey Anne.
            >
            > I certainly wouldn't say that a lot of people here aren't fans of
            > Hoeller. On the contrary, many of us are big supporters, and his
            > essays have long appeared at the top of our Links section as
            > recommended reading for anyone new to the subject. Mention has even
            > been made from time to time of the audio files of his lectures at
            > The Gnosis Archive. As Mike points out, concerns about the "Jungian
            > orientation" might have been cause for an occasional remark
            > regarding a critical approach, but I should think we might exercise
            > such caution when reading material by ANY author. Well, I'd like to
            > THINK that everyone might read so cautiously, but I suppose I really
            > should know better by now. ;-)
            >
            > As for that particular book, I intentionally didn't bother to
            > recommend it the last time I offered a suggested reading list to a
            > new member . . . simply because I hadn't finished it yet, and I
            > wanted any review I might offer to be more than a speculative
            > impression. Seems like I was only a couple chapters into it at the
            > time, and just like an entire stack of books I have lying around
            > here that I have STARTED to read, it remains unfinished. That really
            > IS embarrassing, especially considering how short and accessible it
            > is! Unfortunately, it seems that Time is still my biggest enemy, and
            > that situation isn't improving in the least. Other half-finished
            > projects, Life's little things, and big things continue to pull me
            > in directions I'd rather not have to go. Maybe one day I'll learn to
            > go with the flow . . . or at least to stop fighting the current so
            > much.
            >
            > Gerry

            I hope you finish the book, it didn't even take me long to do it, as I
            would like to see your review of it.