Re: Pursuit of gnosis (GNOSIS and Salvation)

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 10, 2005
      Hey Gich...

      >>>"Exactly my point to PMCV when I wrote "I don't think me going
      into vector algebra will help us, because, unlike the philosophical
      system we've been discussing, there are NO ASSUMPTIONS in
      mathematics""<<

      So since there are no assumptions in mathematics then the meaning
      of "vector" is actually completely ralative? So, by "diving board"
      in your previous example you may have actually meant "dragon"? And
      the dragon and the vector are actually the same thing? What you are
      saying then is that percpetion creates reality?

      >>>""Moment of a vector" is not a concept that crops up
      regarding "longitude and lattitude"."<<<

      But I thought there were no assumptions in mathematics? So why could
      it not be about longitude and lattitude?

      >>>"The term "moment of a vector" is meaningless on its own; we can
      only talk about "moment of a vector about a particular point". I've
      started my introduction by DEFINING the "moment of a vector about
      the origin" of the coordinate system as in equation (1)."<<<

      Why is it meaningless on its own? Meaning would seem to be
      an "assumption". How did you define "moment of a vector"? I mean,
      does it include any set of numbers? But then you said a "particular
      point" so that could not be "any number", right? Or by point then
      you mean the direction? Are you saying it is "foot pounds"? I don't
      understand why it has something to do with the twist of my wrist to
      the right.

      >>>"Yes it can. Any number you can express as a decimal is OK."<<<

      Ok, but I wasn't trying to make a decimal... I just don't know how
      to put the dot in the middle for a ratio. What if I express it this
      way.... 1:.61803..... and the ratio is an irrational number. So if
      the number can be a ratio, then we could also have four coordinates
      if there is an axis on a graph? But what would be the point of that?

      You seem to be making this so complicated, can you just explain it
      to me directly?

      Do you see where I am going with this? I know, it is not kind of me
      to be so facetious. I am not trying to poke fun. But as you can see
      it is me and not you that is complicating the subject here. I am
      throwing in a mix of my own observations which are often simply not
      to the point that you are actually speaking to. Somewhere I have
      gotton some notion of twisting my wrist and feel it is core. If you
      look at this conversation, you will see that it will literally go on
      forever because I have some notions that I just cant let go of, and
      they really don't belong in the conversation... but try explaining
      that to me and it is never going to get anywhere. Imagine I then
      started incorrectly quoting some authority on the matter with the
      assumption that I understood him and contrasted this with my
      twisting of your points.... how long would THAT go on?

      You asked me for the easy version of "Gnosticism" and I gave it. You
      then started asking questions that deal with more complex aspects of
      Gnosticism which brings us back outside the easy version. You need
      to decide which one you want, easy or full, and either be happy with
      the easy or deal with the full on it's own ground. Ok, Gich? I am
      patient, and have no problem dealing with minute detail, but I don't
      want this conversation to simply go around in circles.

      You are going to have to decide whether you want this explination to
      fit your conception, or whether you want to understand what I am
      saying. Forget Harris, forget "God", take it one step at a time and
      understand the specific points I am making. Compare them to what you
      see in the Gnostic texts if you wish, but let go of the monkey
      puzzle for a moment. If you think you can do this, then lets forget
      the "moment of a vector" and I will try to get back to your
      questions concerning "Gnosticism".

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 10, 2005

        > [...]
        > Somewhere I have gotton some notion of twisting my wrist and feel
        > it is core. If you look at this conversation, you will see that it
        > will literally go on forever because I have some notions that I
        > just cant let go of, and they really don't belong in the
        > conversation....

        Well, I think the wrist twist was a smashing addition to your routine.
        On artistic merit alone, it could have gotten you a gold.

        Gerry
      • Serenity
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 11, 2005
          I am new here but have met several of you on other boards. I hope
          that you don't mind my jumping in here with my two cents worth.:-) I
          hope too, that it will serve as an introduction to my sense of Gnosis.

          > (1) Is there any divine input into receipt of this "Gnosis"?

          What I have noticed from the Concept of Gnosis, which is new to me
          terminologically but spiritually started in my teens, is that it is
          something that you need to strive for. It doesn't come to one who
          does not seek it out.

          In Luria, there is the concept of the four levels: the personality
          plane is divided into three bodies in chakra energy patterns. These,
          we can correlate with the Assiah. The personality bodies are the
          physical, emotional and mental bodies. The Intuitional, will and soul
          are in the Yetzirah. The divine bodies are on the Beriah. Though
          practiced throughout the Hindu world to this day, kundalini and the
          chakras still have a place in mystical kaballah. The only difference
          that I have seen is the Middle Pillars of Kaballah are top down (from
          the Divine to the Kingdom) and the Chakras are top up (from the root
          to the crown and out to the selves).

          To be able to see all of your bodies, it takes training. Usually,
          because you see matter, it is only the physical body that you can see
          with your eyes. Your physical body reacts to the energy bodies which
          surrounds it. It is made up of cells which are controlled by the same
          nervous system that holds the energy centers that we call the
          chakras. We can also affect the energy bodies through proper
          maintenance of the physical body though diet and exercise. We can
          touch each level by touching a different chakra on the physical body.
          The chakra that controls the physical body are the heals of the feet
          and hands.

          When you are sensitive, you can feel your emotional body. You can
          change your emotions by changing the vibrations of your emotional
          body. Your physical chakra that controls the rate of the vibration of
          emotional body is the navel chakra. By massaging this chakra and
          controling the breathing patterns that massage this chakra from the
          inside, you can learn to control and be more aware of your emotional
          body. eventually, you can learn to not only feel but see your
          emotional body.

          Your mental body vibrates at a rate that can intune you with the
          creative forces of the universe. It is with this body that we think
          and create. Reason and logic are the tools that this body uses to
          make knowledge work of us. The chakra that affects this body is what
          is called the third eye. It is in the center of the forhead. If you
          massage this area when you are exhausted mentally, you will cleanse
          the energy and refresh your thought processes. These three levels are
          the personality level of our body. They are perhaps the most visible
          bodies within our personal universes.

          The intuitive body is connected to your compassion for others. This
          first spiritual body is the source of our abstract thinking. It is
          our basis for intuition and understanding both of others and
          ourselves. This is the body of the compassionate Buddha. This is the
          body that helps us to determine what to do with the information that
          the mental body aquires. Here, too, we begin the absolute knowlege of
          temporariness. This is just a moment in time. It is what we do with
          it that matters. The heart chakra is our physical connection to this
          body. This is the body where forgiveness begins.

          Next is the will or spirit body. This is the body that we use when
          dealing with the outside world. This is a difficult body to control.
          Karma is usually initiated here. This is a very powerful energy body.
          As this energy body is accessed and utilized, personality changes may
          occur. A mild mannered person can become very steadfast and willfull
          in their positions and actions. If not properly cleansed, this body
          can entice the physical body into actions that would have been
          unthinkable before. This is where Karma fits in. This energy,
          however, helps the individual respond to the external society with
          confidence. This is a polarized body because its physical connection
          is the sex chakra. Our sexual energy is strongest in this body and
          can be utilized as power through our will or spirit.

          Our Soul body is our sense of I AM. As you step up the levels of the
          soul body, the physical performs the actions of I AM; the emotional
          level holds our feelings about I AM; the mental level explores new
          ways of being; The intuitive or compationate level helps us to
          understand and relate to our polarity as male or female; our will or
          spirit level concerns our breath and the choice or will to exist; the
          soul level relates to pride in self - not vanity but acceptance of I
          AM; the divine level places us as one with Godde's energy. Here we
          bring together our individual karmatic energy. When fully developed,
          the I Am combines with the Divine I Am and becomes one with the
          universe. The Soul really makes us one with the creation and with
          ourselves. The chakra for the soul body is the side of the neck as it
          joins the body.

          The Divine body is where we feel one with Godde and the universe.
          This is where we channel out energy that can be harmful. Here is
          where we are grateful for our life which is essential for physical
          health. This is where in life we know where we should be more in
          control and take appropriate action. This is where our will bends to
          the Divine Will. This is where we find our oneness with others and
          the Divine Oneness of Energy. This is where we connect ourselves to
          the higher bodies. Here we are aware of our energy changes, insights
          and spiritual experiences. Here we bring together our collective
          karmatic energy. Here we develop our personal idea of Godde. The
          Chakra of the Divine Body is the crown of the head.

          I know that I am blending philosophies, but I am a rather wholistic
          individual and believe in all forms of worship being equally
          respected by the Creator. That said, Divine Input comes from the
          mingling of the Divine Self with Cosmic Divinity. Gnosis comes from
          the combined experience of your other selves contemplating and
          experiencing the eternal of Cosmic Self which comes through
          meditation. That is my definition of the process of Gnosis. It may
          not be anybody else's but I believe that all Gnosis is personal and
          individual.

          > (2) Is this "Gnosis" a divine gift?

          Life is a Divine Gift. The selves are a Divine Gift. Creation is a
          Divine Gift. So, yes, Gnosis would be a Divine Gift as well. But all
          gifts must be sought to be found. I have read that there are levels
          of ability to reach Gnosis. I do not believe that they are more than
          convenient tools to distinguish possible personal journeys if one
          makes the effort.

          > (3) Does "God" have a prerogative with regard to who receives
          this
          > "Gnosis"?

          That depends on where you seek Godde. (I use this spelling to respect
          the male and femaleness more completely in my own psyche. I was
          raised the the God spelling is exclusively male so please forgive my
          selfindulgence here.) In the Gospel of Thomas, it is
          written, "Recognize what is in front of you, and what is hidden from
          you will be revealed. There is nothing hidden that will not be
          revealed." If you seek answered from Godde too high up and too far
          away, you will never see the Deity right in front of your very nose.
          If you see Godde within your very nature, then it is in deed Godde's
          perogative with regard to who receives Gnosis. If you are separated
          from Godde through blindness or ego, then no, you will not find what
          is lost aka Gnosis.

          The other questions speak more to the language of Gnostics and to
          that I am an undernovice. I have found my path and am comfortable
          with it but it fits in no category that I can find. Gnosis is the
          best term that I have found to describe my inner light.

          I have a question for you. What is it that you want to be saved from?

          In most cases, the salvation that has been granted is from our
          own "habits" for lack of a better term. Our own need to justify our
          own existances and failures at "perfection" again for lack of a
          better term. When I sought salvation it was from my responses that
          reflected the way that I was raised and the voices of my family which
          blocked out my own and Godde's inside my head. I find the longer I am
          free of those bonds the more I can feel my oneness with Creation and
          with the Divine. So, perhaps I would have to say that Gnosis is the
          Salvation from the demeaning Freudian Superego.

          Blessed be,
          Serenity
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 11, 2005
            Hello Serenity, welcome to the group. You state....

            >>>"I know that I am blending philosophies, but I am a rather wholistic
            individual and believe in all forms of worship being equally
            respected by the Creator."<<<

            Of course, if ecclecticism works for you then run with it. However, I
            do need to point something out to you. This group is not like other
            groups that have a more open focus. It is not that those open focuses
            are not good for what they do, but sometimes there needs to be a place
            to deal with much more specific and detailed topics. For that reason,
            we only deal with traditional Gnosticism here. I am personally very
            interested in Kundalini myself, but I don't really talk about it here
            since it isn't the topic.

            By the same token, in this group we define "Gnosis" in a different way
            from what has become popular for the general reader. In this group we
            try to stick to traditional Gnostic meanings for words like this.

            Lastly, I would point out that traditional Gnostics don't respect
            the "creator" much, and sometimes call him by names like "Fool"
            or "Blind God". So, what the "Creator" respects is not something that
            the historical Gnostics much cared to consider.

            However, there are not many places on the net where you can get as
            much accurate info concerning historical Gnosticism as you can here.
            If you find that subject interesting, then this is the place to
            discuss it for sure.

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 11, 2005
              Hey Gich

              >>"Theorems follow from definitions; but do we really want to discuss
              mathematics in this group?"<<<

              No, you are right, generally not. BTW, I don't mean to offend you with
              my previous post... I just felt the point needed to be made if we were
              to move on. Since you didn't answer my post I was not sure whether to
              procede.

              BTW, there is some evidence that some Gnostics may have been involved
              with the mathmatical schools of the time... such as the Pythagorians
              (and obviously the Platonic Academies), so the subject need not be
              entirely off topic either.

              PMCV
            • Serenity
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 12, 2005

                > However, there are not many places on the net where you can get as
                > much accurate info concerning historical Gnosticism as you can here.
                > If you find that subject interesting, then this is the place to
                > discuss it for sure.

                I have spent the past few months researching Gnosticism and have found
                that there are as many variations on the idea of Gnosis as there are
                about Christ in Christianity decended from the Roman tradition. I hear
                that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these days but the
                Sophian tradition is on the rise. What sort of label to you put on
                your Gnosis?

                Blessed be,
                Serenity
              • Nick Lawrance
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 12, 2005

                  From Serenity

                  I hear that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these days but the
                  Sophian tradition is on the rise.

                  What is the difference between the Valentinian tradition and the Sophian tradition. I believe Sophia plays a big role in the school of Valentinius?

                  Nick

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                    Gich, could you please explain which "Sophian gnosticism" is not part
                    of a "Christological gnosticism"?

                    Thanks,

                    > Valintinian gnosticism == Christological gnosticism
                    > Sophian gnosticism == Non-Christological gnosticism
                    > Gich

                    Salvation)

                    > From Serenity
                    >
                    > I hear that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these
                    days but the
                    > Sophian tradition is on the rise.
                    >
                    > What is the difference between the Valentinian tradition and
                    the Sophian tradition. I believe Sophia plays a big role in the
                    school of Valentinius?

                    > Nick

                    Salvation)

                    > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > > However, there are not many places on the net where you can
                    get as
                    > > much accurate info concerning historical Gnosticism as you
                    can here.
                    > > If you find that subject interesting, then this is the place
                    > > discuss it for sure.
                    >
                    > I have spent the past few months researching Gnosticism and
                    have found
                    > that there are as many variations on the idea of Gnosis as
                    there are
                    > about Christ in Christianity decended from the Roman tradition.
                    I hear
                    > that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these days but
                    the
                    > Sophian tradition is on the rise. What sort of label to you put
                    on
                    > your Gnosis?
                    >
                    > Blessed be,
                    > Serenity
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    > Children International
                    > Would you give Hope to a Child in need?
                    >
                    > · Click Here to meet a Girl
                    > And Give Her Hope
                    >
                    > · Click Here to meet a Boy
                    > And Change His Life
                    >
                    > Learn More

                    of Service.
                  • Serenity
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Lawrance"
                      <nicholson2000r@c...> wrote:
                      > What is the difference between the Valentinian tradition and the
                      Sophian tradition. I believe Sophia plays a big role in the school of
                      Valentinius?

                      Namate Nick,
                      I haven't much time today and would probably mess up the explanation
                      anyway, so I will give you a site that will explain everything. I hope
                      that you enjoy it.

                      http://www.sophian.org/

                      Blessed be,
                      Serenity
                    • Nick Lawrance
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                        From Gich
                        Valintinian gnosticism == Christological gnosticism
                        Sophian gnosticism == Non-Christological gnosticism
                        Thanks but Sophia and her relationship to Christ still seems to play a large part in the teachings of Valentinius.

                        Nick

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                          > Valintinian gnosticism == Christological gnosticism
                          > Sophian gnosticism == Non-Christological gnosticism

                          Namste Gich,
                          I think that you are confused. Non Christological Gnosticism, from my
                          understanding, is Sethian Gnosticism. It is more Hebraic although,
                          some Christological interpretation seems to have peaked in a bit in
                          the second century of the common era. Of course the strait Platonic
                          Pagans seem to be claiming Gnosticism for themselves as well. They
                          seem to be a smaller bunch and keep more to their own "clans."

                          I will try to answer your other post soon. Today is just horrific for
                          doing anything at length.

                          Blessed be,
                          Serenity
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                            Hey Serenity.....

                            >>>"I have spent the past few months researching Gnosticism and have
                            found that there are as many variations on the idea of Gnosis as there
                            are about Christ in Christianity decended from the Roman tradition. I
                            hear that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these days but the
                            Sophian tradition is on the rise. What sort of label to you put on
                            your Gnosis?"<<<

                            My "Gnosis"? Well, what I had been trying to say previously is that we
                            are not here to talk about my particular ideas or beliefs. Let me
                            point you, for a moment, to the undtroduction to our group on the
                            front page. You may be one of the people who participate via e-mail,
                            so perhaps you have not seen it. Here it is.....

                            <<<"Gnosticism" is, specifically, a category derived to express the
                            emphasis of "Gnosis" in the belief system held by any one of a number
                            of inter-related, spiritual traditions of the Late Antiquities.>>>

                            In other words, the focus of this group is historical Gnosticism.
                            Technically, no modern group is part of the category of "Gnosticism"
                            since it is an academic term kind of like "neanderthal". There are neo-
                            Valentinians (groups that attempt to recreate some of the Valentinian
                            system as much as possible, while also having other influences), but
                            there are no actual surviving Valentinians today. The Sophian group
                            you mention is also modern.

                            So, I am not here to talk about a personal system and this group is
                            not in support of any modern group.

                            So, while it is true there are many variations on the ideas
                            of "Gnosis" in modern times (including usages of the term to imply
                            everything from ESP to racial purity), for the sake of this group we
                            are talking about the way the word was used by various groups in
                            history.

                            Does that make more sense?

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                              Serenity..

                              >>>"Namste Gich,
                              I think that you are confused. Non Christological Gnosticism, from my
                              understanding, is Sethian Gnosticism. It is more Hebraic although,
                              some Christological interpretation seems to have peaked in a bit in
                              the second century of the common era. Of course the strait Platonic
                              Pagans seem to be claiming Gnosticism for themselves as well. They
                              seem to be a smaller bunch and keep more to their own "clans.""<<<<

                              I am also guessing that Gich may have meant "Sethian" since Jesus is
                              sometimes assumed to have been a later addition to Sethian texts.

                              However, the figure of "Christ" is not necessarily equated
                              with "Jesus" in Gnosticism, so I think the term "Christological"
                              could be a bit misleading here. A text neen not have Jesus in it to
                              have Christological elements in this case. The figure of the Logos
                              is important even if Jesus is not.

                              One thing you say...

                              >>>"Of course the strait Platonic Pagans seem to be claiming
                              Gnosticism for themselves as well."<<<

                              Could you expand on that? I was not exactly sure which groups you
                              mean to imply there. And to add something, Platonists were not
                              generally Christians, but they would have been very angry if you
                              called them "Pagans".

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 14, 2005

                                > Hey Cari!

                                > I didn't know there was ONE recognised "Sophian gnosticism" never
                                mind
                                > SEVERAL as is implied by your question. Any information you can
                                provide on
                                > the different versions of "Sophian gnosticism" would be much
                                appreciated.
                                > :-)

                                No, I'm not personally aware of different versions, Gich, but then
                                I'm not aware of all modern Sophian groups that might be around. I
                                just worded my question in that manner because you had denoted an
                                actual modern category of "Sophian gnosticism" and I thought you
                                might have had some modern groups in mind. Now I see you were
                                hypothesizing such a category, if I understand you correctly.
                                Generally, historical Gnosticism has been broadly categorized into
                                Valentinian and Sethian Gnosticism.

                                > Now to answer your question which was prompted by my earlier
                                comments. The
                                > way I use the term "Sophian gnosticism" is regarding a gnosticism
                                that would
                                > be "Sophia" centred rather than "Christ" centred. There will be a
                                > Christology because the "Christ" event cannot be ignored but the
                                main route
                                > to salvation will be via Sophia and her emanations. The
                                whole "idea" system
                                > forms a very coherent whole and a very workable traditional non-
                                Christian
                                > "Sophia centred" gnosticism can be described without reference to
                                Christ at
                                > all.
                                > Gich

                                Interesting conjecture, Gich; however, I am confused as to how you
                                are using the term, "Christ." If Sophia were to be the "anointed" in
                                this hypothetical system, she could theoretically be a soter. On the
                                other hand, if you're saying that Jesus, a man, need not be part of
                                the system, that's another thing.

                                Even in Valentinian mythology, there is a difference between the
                                anointed (Christ) within the Pleroma (Fullness) and the (lower) Jesus
                                born of Mary of the material realm. Also, Ptolemy's version of the
                                Gnostic myth includes a higher Jesus (second-anointed Christ) within
                                the Fullness, Achamoth's bridegroom (and NOT to be confused with the
                                Jesus of the material realm)[_The Gnostic Scriptures_, Bentley
                                Layton, p. 278 – a book with helpful annotations I would highly
                                recommend, BTW, Gich.].

                                Cari
                              • Nick Lawrance
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 15, 2005
                                  From: Serenity
                                  Namate Nick,
                                  I haven't much time today and would probably mess up the explanation
                                  anyway, so I will give you a site that will explain everything. I hope
                                  that you enjoy it.

                                  Thanks Serenity, I was confused as Indicated I thought you were refering to the aeon Sophia.

                                  Nick

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 15, 2005

                                    > Hey Cari
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for a very constructive post.

                                    You're welcome, Gich.

                                    > From the start of my studies I've found the "Christ" term
                                    confusing. I don't
                                    > know why it's there. Why not use SOTER instead? Was it introduced
                                    by the
                                    > Christian gnostics when trying to make sense of the "Jesus Christ"
                                    event? I
                                    > understand that it's a concept not necessarily connected with Jesus
                                    Christ
                                    > but in my reading [? I need to check this; I'm not sure; but I'm
                                    short of
                                    > time today and wanted to reply to you] they always seem to occur
                                    together.

                                    Confusion. (Excuse me a moment while I jump out of my chair and
                                    yell, "YES!") Okay, I'm back.

                                    Truthfully, Gich, it seems that a large source of miscommunication
                                    comes from the fact that most people first encounter these terms in a
                                    modern, traditional, orthodox context. These terms certainly occur
                                    together in a traditional context. Jesus and Christ are the same in
                                    orthodox theology in the literal person of Jesus, a.k.a. Jesus
                                    Christ. Christ in Greek (same as the Hebrew "messiah") means "the
                                    anointed". The Old Testament prophets, priests, and kings would have
                                    been anointed for their particular offices. The deliverer of the
                                    Jews would have been "the Anointed," having the characteristics of a
                                    prophet, priest, and king. "Soter" is Greek for savior. A savior
                                    would have these characteristics of the Anointed. So, effectively
                                    these terms were similar.

                                    Now, as I mentioned in my last post, the Gnostics did not view the
                                    flesh and blood Jesus and the Christ as one and the same. In
                                    adoptionist versions, the Christ descends into Jesus; however, the
                                    Christ would not suffer death, as the mortal Jesus would. And,
                                    further, in the docetic version, even Jesus only *appears* to be
                                    human. These interpretations all serve to emphasize the
                                    otherworldliness of the Gnostics.

                                    In any case, why use all these "Christian" terms? Well, because in
                                    the fluid milieu of the first few centuries, many whom we refer to
                                    as "Gnostic" thought of themselves as *Christian* (before "orthodoxy"
                                    demanded a specific dogma), with a varying, esoteric interpretation
                                    of a Christological *mythology*.

                                    > You're correct - I was suggesting "that Jesus, a man, need not be
                                    part of
                                    > the system". How do you view this?

                                    Since you were apparently speaking hypothetically of a modern,
                                    Sophian gnosticism, Gich, I'd say that a man, Jesus, as part of the
                                    system might not at all be necessary. But then, I guess I really
                                    don't know how you would envision this system.

                                    > Thanks for the reference, I'll look into it; I've got a long list
                                    of books I
                                    > want to read already ... not enough hours in the day nor days in
                                    the week.
                                    > :-) ..."Jonas, Hans (1988) "The Gnostic Religion", Boston." sounds
                                    very
                                    > useful; described as "seminal" by Harris. Do you have an opinion on
                                    this
                                    > book?

                                    Hmmm, well, Han Jonas's book is considered by many to be very useful,
                                    but outdated. He does have an existential outlook, which some find
                                    compelling. Kurt Rudolph's book, _Gnosis_, which is more recent,
                                    does fully incorporate the Nag Hammadi texts. Gich, I would highly
                                    recommend that you obtain some original Gnostic texts, with or
                                    without commentary. Robinson's _The Nag Hammadi Library and Layton's
                                    selections, _The Gnostic Scriptures_ (which I already mentioned, with
                                    annotations and outlines of mythic characters) would be very good
                                    additions to your library. In any case, it's good to immerse
                                    yourself in the actual texts and not just rely on commentary.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 16, 2005
                                      Hey Gich, sorry it took so long. I got caught up in silly things.

                                      It looks like Lady Caritas has gotton to your question as well, so
                                      let me just throw in some backing. Part of the problem is in dealing
                                      with the way christ is used in different situations. Consider this
                                      passage...

                                      "Through the Holy Spirit we are indeed begotten again, but we are
                                      begotten through Christ in the two. We are anointed through the
                                      Spirit. When we were begotten, we were united. None can see himself
                                      either in water or in a mirror without light. Nor again can you see
                                      in light without mirror or water. For this reason, it is fitting to
                                      baptize in the two, in the light and the water. Now the light is the
                                      chrism."

                                      As you know, "Christ" simply means "anointed". So, who is the christ
                                      here? This author has just pointed out that become anointed.

                                      Later passage....

                                      "Jesus appeared [...] Jordan - the fullness of the Kingdom of
                                      Heaven. He who was begotten before everything, was begotten anew. He
                                      who was once anointed, was anointed anew. He who was redeemed, in
                                      turn redeemed (others)."

                                      The Christ manifest in Jesus, is anointed in Jesus "anew", and the
                                      same thing happens to us? In other words, the Christ manifests in
                                      one with the anointing...

                                      "The chrism is superior to baptism, for it is from the word "Chrism"
                                      that we have been called "Christians," certainly not because of the
                                      word "baptism". And it is because of the chrism that "the Christ"
                                      has his name. For the Father anointed the Son, and the Son anointed
                                      the apostles, and the apostles anointed us. He who has been anointed
                                      possesses everything. He possesses the resurrection, the light, the
                                      cross, the Holy Spirit."

                                      Philip does go on to equate Jesus with the "Christ", but you can see
                                      that this would be obvious. Other cases are a bit different though.

                                      In Allogenes we see the anointing.... but no Jesus.

                                      >>>"And the all-glorious One, Youel, anointed me again and she gave
                                      power to me."<<<

                                      And here is a point of interest. Jesus is only mentioned off-hand in
                                      the "Gospel of the Egyptians", as a sort of suit put on by Seth, the
                                      true savior, but "Christ" is integrated in the text. It possible
                                      that the Christian element (of Jesus' name) may be a later addition
                                      (as we know happened to "Eugnostos the Blessed") to the tradition,
                                      while "Christ" is not likely so.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 17, 2005
                                        Hello pmcvflag

                                        On 04/17/05, you wrote:

                                        > "Jesus appeared [...] Jordan - the fullness of the Kingdom of
                                        > Heaven. He who was begotten before everything, was begotten anew. He
                                        > who was once anointed, was anointed anew. He who was redeemed, in
                                        > turn redeemed (others)."

                                        This could as well be read that Jesus and Christ were one at birth and
                                        just renewed at the jordan, and not adoptionist at all. Of course it
                                        is but one statement out of Phillip's Gospel, and it is Valentinian.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 18, 2005
                                          Hey Mike

                                          >>>"This could as well be read that Jesus and Christ were one at birth
                                          and just renewed at the jordan, and not adoptionist at all. Of course
                                          it is but one statement out of Phillip's Gospel, and it is
                                          Valentinian."<<<

                                          Oh, sure.... which is why I pointed out that in the end Philip does
                                          equate the two as well. But even in teh equation there are
                                          destinctions. Obviously in other texts the case is different, and
                                          there are many ways in which the "Christ" motif and the "Jesus" motif
                                          is dealt with. Maybe you could point out which ones are most
                                          interesting to you?

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 19, 2005
                                            Hello pmcvflag

                                            On 04/19/05, you wrote:

                                            > Hey Mike

                                            > and just renewed at the jordan, and not adoptionist at all. Of
                                            > course it is but one statement out of Phillip's Gospel, and it is
                                            > Valentinian."<<<
                                            >
                                            > Oh, sure.... which is why I pointed out that in the end Philip does
                                            > equate the two as well. But even in teh equation there are
                                            > destinctions. Obviously in other texts the case is different, and
                                            > there are many ways in which the "Christ" motif and the "Jesus"
                                            > motif is dealt with. Maybe you could point out which ones are most
                                            > interesting to you?
                                            >
                                            > PMCV

                                            In the docetist text the Acts Of John, Christ actually talks
                                            extensively to John while Jesus is being crucified, "what they say of
                                            me I suffered, I did not suffer, what they do not say of me, that I
                                            suffered" (paraphrased).