Re: Pursuit of gnosis (GNOSIS and Salvation)

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 8, 2005
      Hello gich

      On 04/08/05, you wrote:

      > I mean this in the kindest way possible and I have no desire to
      > upset you in any way, but: surely there's a simpler way to discuss
      > this?
      >
      > Gich

      Actually, the field of opposites is kind of the whole point.

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 8, 2005
        Hey Gich....

        >>>"All I'm trying to do is to establish the role of "GNOSIS" in
        salvation. I thought it was clear but your "identify with" post
        seems to exclude it."<<<

        No, it doesn't exclude it, Gich, because the larger part of Gnosis
        is realizing that identity. Part of the meaning of the word "Gnosis,
        is to outline what it is that you identify with, namely, the higher
        spirit. It may look like the two things are somehow unconnected to
        you, but as Mike just answered to you (thanks for joining in, Mike)
        it is really very connected.

        >>>"I mean this in the kindest way possible and I have no desire to
        upset you in any way, but: surely there's a simpler way to discuss
        this?"<<<

        It depends, there is the short answer and the long answer. You have
        already heard the short answer, here it is again....

        .... Gnosis is a special kind of spiritual knowing based on
        initiatory progression, which is meant to express realization of who
        a person is and how they connected to a spiritual reality.
        Gnosticism is a category of specific religions that believe that
        this Gnosis is the means of climbing to the spiritual source to
        which they are connected (salvation).....

        There you have it, the short version. Now, imagine you were asked to
        explain the laws of thermodynamics in just as short a response. How
        accurate would your explination be? This is all about how indepth
        you want the answer to be, or not be.

        Let's try a little experiment, Gich. I would like you to try to
        explain to me exactly how to calculate the moment of a vector. I'm
        listening....

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 10, 2005
          MOMENT OF A VECTOR

          >>>"I assume you know what a Cartesian coordinate system is; if not
          I can define it later. Consider a Cartesian coordinate system with
          origin O."<<<<

          But what if we were talking about longitude and lattitude instead?
          And what if we didn't start from "0" on that system?

          >>>"Consider a point P in this system with position vector [r] =
          (r1,r2,r3) together with a general vector [f] =(f1,f2,f3) located at
          P. The items r1, r2, r3; f1, f2, f3 are just ordinary numbers."<<<

          So the number can't be a ratio? Something like 1.61803.... ?

          >>>"EXAMPLE. Suppose you weigh 150 pounds and are standing on the
          end of a diving board 10 feet long. Let us locate the origin of the
          Cartesian coordinate system at the base of the diving board with the
          x-axis along the length of the diving board and the z-axis pointing
          vertically upwards. The y-axis will then be along the bank of the
          swimming pool. In this case the numbers r1, r2, r3; f1, f2, f3 will
          be: r1=10, r2=0, r3=0; f1=0, f2=0, f3=-150."<<<

          But this does not make sense, I don't weigh 150 lbs. And is it the
          diving baord that I spin towards the right or is it my wrist?

          >>>"Then using equation (1) we get: [M] = (0*-150-0*0,0*0-10*-
          150,10*0-0*0) =(0, 1500, 0)

          This is a vector of magnitude 1500 foot-pounds directed along the
          positive y-axis of the coordinate system; i.e. directed along the
          bank of the pool. The magnitude of this vector is 1500 foot-
          pounds."<<<

          But what is the "moment of a vector"? I wasn't asking for foot
          pounds.

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 10, 2005
            Hello gich

            On 04/10/05, you wrote:

            > Hey PMCV

            > If this were a real situation I would just ask you to obtain an
            > introductory book that covers vector algebra or elementary
            > mechanics; and then study from chapter 1 to the point where the
            > "moment of a vector" is discussed. After this, anything you don't
            > understand I would endeavour to explain.
            >
            > Leaving that to one side, I don't think me going into vector algebra
            > will help us, because, unlike the philosophical system we've been
            > discussing, there are NO ASSUMPTIONS in mathematics. However, since
            > you seem to think it may be useful, I'll take up your challenge to
            > see where it leads.
            >
            > MOMENT OF A VECTOR
            >
            > I assume you know what a Cartesian coordinate system is; if not I
            > can define it later.
            >
            > Consider a Cartesian coordinate system with origin O.
            >
            > Consider a point P in this system with position vector [r] =
            > (r1,r2,r3) together with a general vector [f] =(f1,f2,f3) located at
            > P. The items r1, r2, r3; f1, f2, f3 are just ordinary numbers.
            >
            > The moment [M] about the origin O of the vector [f] is defined as
            > the vector:
            >
            > [M] = (r2*f3-r3*f2,r3*f1-r1*f3,r1*f2-r2*f1) ..... equation (1).
            >
            > where '*' means ordinary multiplication of two numbers.
            >
            > EXAMPLE. Suppose you weigh 150 pounds and are standing on the end of
            > a diving board 10 feet long. Let us locate the origin of the
            > Cartesian coordinate system at the base of the diving board with the
            > x-axis along the length of the diving board and the z-axis pointing
            > vertically upwards. The y-axis will then be along the bank of the
            > swimming pool. In this case the numbers r1, r2, r3; f1, f2, f3 will
            > be: r1=10, r2=0, r3=0; f1=0, f2=0, f3=-150.
            >
            > Then using equation (1) we get: [M] =
            > (0*-150-0*0,0*0-10*-150,10*0-0*0) = (0, 1500, 0)
            >
            > This is a vector of magnitude 1500 foot-pounds directed along the
            > positive y-axis of the coordinate system; i.e. directed along the
            > bank of the pool. The magnitude of this vector is 1500 foot-pounds.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Gich

            Brilliant. Anyway it sounds good, I don't know enough to critique it,
            but the attempt is still brilliant. Now where?

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 10, 2005
              Hello pmcvflag

              On 04/10/05, you wrote:

              > MOMENT OF A VECTOR

              > I can define it later. Consider a Cartesian coordinate system with
              > origin O."<<<<
              >
              > But what if we were talking about longitude and lattitude instead?
              > And what if we didn't start from "0" on that system?

              > (r1,r2,r3) together with a general vector [f] =(f1,f2,f3) located at
              > P. The items r1, r2, r3; f1, f2, f3 are just ordinary numbers."<<<
              >
              > So the number can't be a ratio? Something like 1.61803.... ?

              > end of a diving board 10 feet long. Let us locate the origin of the
              > Cartesian coordinate system at the base of the diving board with the
              > x-axis along the length of the diving board and the z-axis pointing
              > vertically upwards. The y-axis will then be along the bank of the
              > swimming pool. In this case the numbers r1, r2, r3; f1, f2, f3 will
              > be: r1=10, r2=0, r3=0; f1=0, f2=0, f3=-150."<<<
              >
              > But this does not make sense, I don't weigh 150 lbs. And is it the
              > diving baord that I spin towards the right or is it my wrist?

              > 150,10*0-0*0) =(0, 1500, 0)
              >
              > This is a vector of magnitude 1500 foot-pounds directed along the
              > positive y-axis of the coordinate system; i.e. directed along the
              > bank of the pool. The magnitude of this vector is 1500 foot-
              > pounds."<<<
              >
              > But what is the "moment of a vector"? I wasn't asking for foot
              > pounds.
              >
              > PMCV

              Vector, vector, where for art thou vector?

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 10, 2005
                Hey Gich...

                >>>"Exactly my point to PMCV when I wrote "I don't think me going
                into vector algebra will help us, because, unlike the philosophical
                system we've been discussing, there are NO ASSUMPTIONS in
                mathematics""<<

                So since there are no assumptions in mathematics then the meaning
                of "vector" is actually completely ralative? So, by "diving board"
                in your previous example you may have actually meant "dragon"? And
                the dragon and the vector are actually the same thing? What you are
                saying then is that percpetion creates reality?

                >>>""Moment of a vector" is not a concept that crops up
                regarding "longitude and lattitude"."<<<

                But I thought there were no assumptions in mathematics? So why could
                it not be about longitude and lattitude?

                >>>"The term "moment of a vector" is meaningless on its own; we can
                only talk about "moment of a vector about a particular point". I've
                started my introduction by DEFINING the "moment of a vector about
                the origin" of the coordinate system as in equation (1)."<<<

                Why is it meaningless on its own? Meaning would seem to be
                an "assumption". How did you define "moment of a vector"? I mean,
                does it include any set of numbers? But then you said a "particular
                point" so that could not be "any number", right? Or by point then
                you mean the direction? Are you saying it is "foot pounds"? I don't
                understand why it has something to do with the twist of my wrist to
                the right.

                >>>"Yes it can. Any number you can express as a decimal is OK."<<<

                Ok, but I wasn't trying to make a decimal... I just don't know how
                to put the dot in the middle for a ratio. What if I express it this
                way.... 1:.61803..... and the ratio is an irrational number. So if
                the number can be a ratio, then we could also have four coordinates
                if there is an axis on a graph? But what would be the point of that?

                You seem to be making this so complicated, can you just explain it
                to me directly?

                Do you see where I am going with this? I know, it is not kind of me
                to be so facetious. I am not trying to poke fun. But as you can see
                it is me and not you that is complicating the subject here. I am
                throwing in a mix of my own observations which are often simply not
                to the point that you are actually speaking to. Somewhere I have
                gotton some notion of twisting my wrist and feel it is core. If you
                look at this conversation, you will see that it will literally go on
                forever because I have some notions that I just cant let go of, and
                they really don't belong in the conversation... but try explaining
                that to me and it is never going to get anywhere. Imagine I then
                started incorrectly quoting some authority on the matter with the
                assumption that I understood him and contrasted this with my
                twisting of your points.... how long would THAT go on?

                You asked me for the easy version of "Gnosticism" and I gave it. You
                then started asking questions that deal with more complex aspects of
                Gnosticism which brings us back outside the easy version. You need
                to decide which one you want, easy or full, and either be happy with
                the easy or deal with the full on it's own ground. Ok, Gich? I am
                patient, and have no problem dealing with minute detail, but I don't
                want this conversation to simply go around in circles.

                You are going to have to decide whether you want this explination to
                fit your conception, or whether you want to understand what I am
                saying. Forget Harris, forget "God", take it one step at a time and
                understand the specific points I am making. Compare them to what you
                see in the Gnostic texts if you wish, but let go of the monkey
                puzzle for a moment. If you think you can do this, then lets forget
                the "moment of a vector" and I will try to get back to your
                questions concerning "Gnosticism".

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 10, 2005

                  > [...]
                  > Somewhere I have gotton some notion of twisting my wrist and feel
                  > it is core. If you look at this conversation, you will see that it
                  > will literally go on forever because I have some notions that I
                  > just cant let go of, and they really don't belong in the
                  > conversation....

                  Well, I think the wrist twist was a smashing addition to your routine.
                  On artistic merit alone, it could have gotten you a gold.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 10, 2005
                    Hello gich

                    On 04/10/05, you wrote:

                    > Hey Mike!
                    > Exactly my point to PMCV when I wrote "I don't think me going into
                    > vector algebra will help us, because, unlike the philosophical
                    > system we've been discussing, there are NO ASSUMPTIONS in
                    > mathematics" Gich

                    What about the "theorems" of geometry?

                  • Serenity
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 11, 2005
                      I am new here but have met several of you on other boards. I hope
                      that you don't mind my jumping in here with my two cents worth.:-) I
                      hope too, that it will serve as an introduction to my sense of Gnosis.

                      > (1) Is there any divine input into receipt of this "Gnosis"?

                      What I have noticed from the Concept of Gnosis, which is new to me
                      terminologically but spiritually started in my teens, is that it is
                      something that you need to strive for. It doesn't come to one who
                      does not seek it out.

                      In Luria, there is the concept of the four levels: the personality
                      plane is divided into three bodies in chakra energy patterns. These,
                      we can correlate with the Assiah. The personality bodies are the
                      physical, emotional and mental bodies. The Intuitional, will and soul
                      are in the Yetzirah. The divine bodies are on the Beriah. Though
                      practiced throughout the Hindu world to this day, kundalini and the
                      chakras still have a place in mystical kaballah. The only difference
                      that I have seen is the Middle Pillars of Kaballah are top down (from
                      the Divine to the Kingdom) and the Chakras are top up (from the root
                      to the crown and out to the selves).

                      To be able to see all of your bodies, it takes training. Usually,
                      because you see matter, it is only the physical body that you can see
                      with your eyes. Your physical body reacts to the energy bodies which
                      surrounds it. It is made up of cells which are controlled by the same
                      nervous system that holds the energy centers that we call the
                      chakras. We can also affect the energy bodies through proper
                      maintenance of the physical body though diet and exercise. We can
                      touch each level by touching a different chakra on the physical body.
                      The chakra that controls the physical body are the heals of the feet
                      and hands.

                      When you are sensitive, you can feel your emotional body. You can
                      change your emotions by changing the vibrations of your emotional
                      body. Your physical chakra that controls the rate of the vibration of
                      emotional body is the navel chakra. By massaging this chakra and
                      controling the breathing patterns that massage this chakra from the
                      inside, you can learn to control and be more aware of your emotional
                      body. eventually, you can learn to not only feel but see your
                      emotional body.

                      Your mental body vibrates at a rate that can intune you with the
                      creative forces of the universe. It is with this body that we think
                      and create. Reason and logic are the tools that this body uses to
                      make knowledge work of us. The chakra that affects this body is what
                      is called the third eye. It is in the center of the forhead. If you
                      massage this area when you are exhausted mentally, you will cleanse
                      the energy and refresh your thought processes. These three levels are
                      the personality level of our body. They are perhaps the most visible
                      bodies within our personal universes.

                      The intuitive body is connected to your compassion for others. This
                      first spiritual body is the source of our abstract thinking. It is
                      our basis for intuition and understanding both of others and
                      ourselves. This is the body of the compassionate Buddha. This is the
                      body that helps us to determine what to do with the information that
                      the mental body aquires. Here, too, we begin the absolute knowlege of
                      temporariness. This is just a moment in time. It is what we do with
                      it that matters. The heart chakra is our physical connection to this
                      body. This is the body where forgiveness begins.

                      Next is the will or spirit body. This is the body that we use when
                      dealing with the outside world. This is a difficult body to control.
                      Karma is usually initiated here. This is a very powerful energy body.
                      As this energy body is accessed and utilized, personality changes may
                      occur. A mild mannered person can become very steadfast and willfull
                      in their positions and actions. If not properly cleansed, this body
                      can entice the physical body into actions that would have been
                      unthinkable before. This is where Karma fits in. This energy,
                      however, helps the individual respond to the external society with
                      confidence. This is a polarized body because its physical connection
                      is the sex chakra. Our sexual energy is strongest in this body and
                      can be utilized as power through our will or spirit.

                      Our Soul body is our sense of I AM. As you step up the levels of the
                      soul body, the physical performs the actions of I AM; the emotional
                      level holds our feelings about I AM; the mental level explores new
                      ways of being; The intuitive or compationate level helps us to
                      understand and relate to our polarity as male or female; our will or
                      spirit level concerns our breath and the choice or will to exist; the
                      soul level relates to pride in self - not vanity but acceptance of I
                      AM; the divine level places us as one with Godde's energy. Here we
                      bring together our individual karmatic energy. When fully developed,
                      the I Am combines with the Divine I Am and becomes one with the
                      universe. The Soul really makes us one with the creation and with
                      ourselves. The chakra for the soul body is the side of the neck as it
                      joins the body.

                      The Divine body is where we feel one with Godde and the universe.
                      This is where we channel out energy that can be harmful. Here is
                      where we are grateful for our life which is essential for physical
                      health. This is where in life we know where we should be more in
                      control and take appropriate action. This is where our will bends to
                      the Divine Will. This is where we find our oneness with others and
                      the Divine Oneness of Energy. This is where we connect ourselves to
                      the higher bodies. Here we are aware of our energy changes, insights
                      and spiritual experiences. Here we bring together our collective
                      karmatic energy. Here we develop our personal idea of Godde. The
                      Chakra of the Divine Body is the crown of the head.

                      I know that I am blending philosophies, but I am a rather wholistic
                      individual and believe in all forms of worship being equally
                      respected by the Creator. That said, Divine Input comes from the
                      mingling of the Divine Self with Cosmic Divinity. Gnosis comes from
                      the combined experience of your other selves contemplating and
                      experiencing the eternal of Cosmic Self which comes through
                      meditation. That is my definition of the process of Gnosis. It may
                      not be anybody else's but I believe that all Gnosis is personal and
                      individual.

                      > (2) Is this "Gnosis" a divine gift?

                      Life is a Divine Gift. The selves are a Divine Gift. Creation is a
                      Divine Gift. So, yes, Gnosis would be a Divine Gift as well. But all
                      gifts must be sought to be found. I have read that there are levels
                      of ability to reach Gnosis. I do not believe that they are more than
                      convenient tools to distinguish possible personal journeys if one
                      makes the effort.

                      > (3) Does "God" have a prerogative with regard to who receives
                      this
                      > "Gnosis"?

                      That depends on where you seek Godde. (I use this spelling to respect
                      the male and femaleness more completely in my own psyche. I was
                      raised the the God spelling is exclusively male so please forgive my
                      selfindulgence here.) In the Gospel of Thomas, it is
                      written, "Recognize what is in front of you, and what is hidden from
                      you will be revealed. There is nothing hidden that will not be
                      revealed." If you seek answered from Godde too high up and too far
                      away, you will never see the Deity right in front of your very nose.
                      If you see Godde within your very nature, then it is in deed Godde's
                      perogative with regard to who receives Gnosis. If you are separated
                      from Godde through blindness or ego, then no, you will not find what
                      is lost aka Gnosis.

                      The other questions speak more to the language of Gnostics and to
                      that I am an undernovice. I have found my path and am comfortable
                      with it but it fits in no category that I can find. Gnosis is the
                      best term that I have found to describe my inner light.

                      I have a question for you. What is it that you want to be saved from?

                      In most cases, the salvation that has been granted is from our
                      own "habits" for lack of a better term. Our own need to justify our
                      own existances and failures at "perfection" again for lack of a
                      better term. When I sought salvation it was from my responses that
                      reflected the way that I was raised and the voices of my family which
                      blocked out my own and Godde's inside my head. I find the longer I am
                      free of those bonds the more I can feel my oneness with Creation and
                      with the Divine. So, perhaps I would have to say that Gnosis is the
                      Salvation from the demeaning Freudian Superego.

                      Blessed be,
                      Serenity
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 11, 2005
                        Hello Serenity, welcome to the group. You state....

                        >>>"I know that I am blending philosophies, but I am a rather wholistic
                        individual and believe in all forms of worship being equally
                        respected by the Creator."<<<

                        Of course, if ecclecticism works for you then run with it. However, I
                        do need to point something out to you. This group is not like other
                        groups that have a more open focus. It is not that those open focuses
                        are not good for what they do, but sometimes there needs to be a place
                        to deal with much more specific and detailed topics. For that reason,
                        we only deal with traditional Gnosticism here. I am personally very
                        interested in Kundalini myself, but I don't really talk about it here
                        since it isn't the topic.

                        By the same token, in this group we define "Gnosis" in a different way
                        from what has become popular for the general reader. In this group we
                        try to stick to traditional Gnostic meanings for words like this.

                        Lastly, I would point out that traditional Gnostics don't respect
                        the "creator" much, and sometimes call him by names like "Fool"
                        or "Blind God". So, what the "Creator" respects is not something that
                        the historical Gnostics much cared to consider.

                        However, there are not many places on the net where you can get as
                        much accurate info concerning historical Gnosticism as you can here.
                        If you find that subject interesting, then this is the place to
                        discuss it for sure.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 11, 2005
                          Hey Gich

                          >>"Theorems follow from definitions; but do we really want to discuss
                          mathematics in this group?"<<<

                          No, you are right, generally not. BTW, I don't mean to offend you with
                          my previous post... I just felt the point needed to be made if we were
                          to move on. Since you didn't answer my post I was not sure whether to
                          procede.

                          BTW, there is some evidence that some Gnostics may have been involved
                          with the mathmatical schools of the time... such as the Pythagorians
                          (and obviously the Platonic Academies), so the subject need not be
                          entirely off topic either.

                          PMCV
                        • Serenity
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 12, 2005

                            > However, there are not many places on the net where you can get as
                            > much accurate info concerning historical Gnosticism as you can here.
                            > If you find that subject interesting, then this is the place to
                            > discuss it for sure.

                            I have spent the past few months researching Gnosticism and have found
                            that there are as many variations on the idea of Gnosis as there are
                            about Christ in Christianity decended from the Roman tradition. I hear
                            that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these days but the
                            Sophian tradition is on the rise. What sort of label to you put on
                            your Gnosis?

                            Blessed be,
                            Serenity
                          • Nick Lawrance
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 12, 2005

                              From Serenity

                              I hear that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these days but the
                              Sophian tradition is on the rise.

                              What is the difference between the Valentinian tradition and the Sophian tradition. I believe Sophia plays a big role in the school of Valentinius?

                              Nick

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                                Gich, could you please explain which "Sophian gnosticism" is not part
                                of a "Christological gnosticism"?

                                Thanks,

                                > Valintinian gnosticism == Christological gnosticism
                                > Sophian gnosticism == Non-Christological gnosticism
                                > Gich

                                Salvation)

                                > From Serenity
                                >
                                > I hear that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these
                                days but the
                                > Sophian tradition is on the rise.
                                >
                                > What is the difference between the Valentinian tradition and
                                the Sophian tradition. I believe Sophia plays a big role in the
                                school of Valentinius?

                                > Nick

                                Salvation)

                                > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@y...>
                                wrote:

                                > > However, there are not many places on the net where you can
                                get as
                                > > much accurate info concerning historical Gnosticism as you
                                can here.
                                > > If you find that subject interesting, then this is the place
                                > > discuss it for sure.
                                >
                                > I have spent the past few months researching Gnosticism and
                                have found
                                > that there are as many variations on the idea of Gnosis as
                                there are
                                > about Christ in Christianity decended from the Roman tradition.
                                I hear
                                > that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these days but
                                the
                                > Sophian tradition is on the rise. What sort of label to you put
                                on
                                > your Gnosis?
                                >
                                > Blessed be,
                                > Serenity
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                > Children International
                                > Would you give Hope to a Child in need?
                                >
                                > · Click Here to meet a Girl
                                > And Give Her Hope
                                >
                                > · Click Here to meet a Boy
                                > And Change His Life
                                >
                                > Learn More

                                of Service.
                              • Serenity
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                                  --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Lawrance"
                                  <nicholson2000r@c...> wrote:
                                  > What is the difference between the Valentinian tradition and the
                                  Sophian tradition. I believe Sophia plays a big role in the school of
                                  Valentinius?

                                  Namate Nick,
                                  I haven't much time today and would probably mess up the explanation
                                  anyway, so I will give you a site that will explain everything. I hope
                                  that you enjoy it.

                                  http://www.sophian.org/

                                  Blessed be,
                                  Serenity
                                • Nick Lawrance
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                                    From Gich
                                    Valintinian gnosticism == Christological gnosticism
                                    Sophian gnosticism == Non-Christological gnosticism
                                    Thanks but Sophia and her relationship to Christ still seems to play a large part in the teachings of Valentinius.

                                    Nick

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                                      > Valintinian gnosticism == Christological gnosticism
                                      > Sophian gnosticism == Non-Christological gnosticism

                                      Namste Gich,
                                      I think that you are confused. Non Christological Gnosticism, from my
                                      understanding, is Sethian Gnosticism. It is more Hebraic although,
                                      some Christological interpretation seems to have peaked in a bit in
                                      the second century of the common era. Of course the strait Platonic
                                      Pagans seem to be claiming Gnosticism for themselves as well. They
                                      seem to be a smaller bunch and keep more to their own "clans."

                                      I will try to answer your other post soon. Today is just horrific for
                                      doing anything at length.

                                      Blessed be,
                                      Serenity
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                                        Hey Serenity.....

                                        >>>"I have spent the past few months researching Gnosticism and have
                                        found that there are as many variations on the idea of Gnosis as there
                                        are about Christ in Christianity decended from the Roman tradition. I
                                        hear that the Valintinian tradition is quite popular these days but the
                                        Sophian tradition is on the rise. What sort of label to you put on
                                        your Gnosis?"<<<

                                        My "Gnosis"? Well, what I had been trying to say previously is that we
                                        are not here to talk about my particular ideas or beliefs. Let me
                                        point you, for a moment, to the undtroduction to our group on the
                                        front page. You may be one of the people who participate via e-mail,
                                        so perhaps you have not seen it. Here it is.....

                                        <<<"Gnosticism" is, specifically, a category derived to express the
                                        emphasis of "Gnosis" in the belief system held by any one of a number
                                        of inter-related, spiritual traditions of the Late Antiquities.>>>

                                        In other words, the focus of this group is historical Gnosticism.
                                        Technically, no modern group is part of the category of "Gnosticism"
                                        since it is an academic term kind of like "neanderthal". There are neo-
                                        Valentinians (groups that attempt to recreate some of the Valentinian
                                        system as much as possible, while also having other influences), but
                                        there are no actual surviving Valentinians today. The Sophian group
                                        you mention is also modern.

                                        So, I am not here to talk about a personal system and this group is
                                        not in support of any modern group.

                                        So, while it is true there are many variations on the ideas
                                        of "Gnosis" in modern times (including usages of the term to imply
                                        everything from ESP to racial purity), for the sake of this group we
                                        are talking about the way the word was used by various groups in
                                        history.

                                        Does that make more sense?

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 13, 2005
                                          Serenity..

                                          >>>"Namste Gich,
                                          I think that you are confused. Non Christological Gnosticism, from my
                                          understanding, is Sethian Gnosticism. It is more Hebraic although,
                                          some Christological interpretation seems to have peaked in a bit in
                                          the second century of the common era. Of course the strait Platonic
                                          Pagans seem to be claiming Gnosticism for themselves as well. They
                                          seem to be a smaller bunch and keep more to their own "clans.""<<<<

                                          I am also guessing that Gich may have meant "Sethian" since Jesus is
                                          sometimes assumed to have been a later addition to Sethian texts.

                                          However, the figure of "Christ" is not necessarily equated
                                          with "Jesus" in Gnosticism, so I think the term "Christological"
                                          could be a bit misleading here. A text neen not have Jesus in it to
                                          have Christological elements in this case. The figure of the Logos
                                          is important even if Jesus is not.

                                          One thing you say...

                                          >>>"Of course the strait Platonic Pagans seem to be claiming
                                          Gnosticism for themselves as well."<<<

                                          Could you expand on that? I was not exactly sure which groups you
                                          mean to imply there. And to add something, Platonists were not
                                          generally Christians, but they would have been very angry if you
                                          called them "Pagans".

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 14, 2005

                                            > Hey Cari!

                                            > I didn't know there was ONE recognised "Sophian gnosticism" never
                                            mind
                                            > SEVERAL as is implied by your question. Any information you can
                                            provide on
                                            > the different versions of "Sophian gnosticism" would be much
                                            appreciated.
                                            > :-)

                                            No, I'm not personally aware of different versions, Gich, but then
                                            I'm not aware of all modern Sophian groups that might be around. I
                                            just worded my question in that manner because you had denoted an
                                            actual modern category of "Sophian gnosticism" and I thought you
                                            might have had some modern groups in mind. Now I see you were
                                            hypothesizing such a category, if I understand you correctly.
                                            Generally, historical Gnosticism has been broadly categorized into
                                            Valentinian and Sethian Gnosticism.

                                            > Now to answer your question which was prompted by my earlier
                                            comments. The
                                            > way I use the term "Sophian gnosticism" is regarding a gnosticism
                                            that would
                                            > be "Sophia" centred rather than "Christ" centred. There will be a
                                            > Christology because the "Christ" event cannot be ignored but the
                                            main route
                                            > to salvation will be via Sophia and her emanations. The
                                            whole "idea" system
                                            > forms a very coherent whole and a very workable traditional non-
                                            Christian
                                            > "Sophia centred" gnosticism can be described without reference to
                                            Christ at
                                            > all.
                                            > Gich

                                            Interesting conjecture, Gich; however, I am confused as to how you
                                            are using the term, "Christ." If Sophia were to be the "anointed" in
                                            this hypothetical system, she could theoretically be a soter. On the
                                            other hand, if you're saying that Jesus, a man, need not be part of
                                            the system, that's another thing.

                                            Even in Valentinian mythology, there is a difference between the
                                            anointed (Christ) within the Pleroma (Fullness) and the (lower) Jesus
                                            born of Mary of the material realm. Also, Ptolemy's version of the
                                            Gnostic myth includes a higher Jesus (second-anointed Christ) within
                                            the Fullness, Achamoth's bridegroom (and NOT to be confused with the
                                            Jesus of the material realm)[_The Gnostic Scriptures_, Bentley
                                            Layton, p. 278 – a book with helpful annotations I would highly
                                            recommend, BTW, Gich.].

                                            Cari
                                          • Nick Lawrance
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 15, 2005
                                              From: Serenity
                                              Namate Nick,
                                              I haven't much time today and would probably mess up the explanation
                                              anyway, so I will give you a site that will explain everything. I hope
                                              that you enjoy it.

                                              Thanks Serenity, I was confused as Indicated I thought you were refering to the aeon Sophia.

                                              Nick

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 15, 2005

                                                > Hey Cari
                                                >
                                                > Thanks for a very constructive post.

                                                You're welcome, Gich.

                                                > From the start of my studies I've found the "Christ" term
                                                confusing. I don't
                                                > know why it's there. Why not use SOTER instead? Was it introduced
                                                by the
                                                > Christian gnostics when trying to make sense of the "Jesus Christ"
                                                event? I
                                                > understand that it's a concept not necessarily connected with Jesus
                                                Christ
                                                > but in my reading [? I need to check this; I'm not sure; but I'm
                                                short of
                                                > time today and wanted to reply to you] they always seem to occur
                                                together.

                                                Confusion. (Excuse me a moment while I jump out of my chair and
                                                yell, "YES!") Okay, I'm back.

                                                Truthfully, Gich, it seems that a large source of miscommunication
                                                comes from the fact that most people first encounter these terms in a
                                                modern, traditional, orthodox context. These terms certainly occur
                                                together in a traditional context. Jesus and Christ are the same in
                                                orthodox theology in the literal person of Jesus, a.k.a. Jesus
                                                Christ. Christ in Greek (same as the Hebrew "messiah") means "the
                                                anointed". The Old Testament prophets, priests, and kings would have
                                                been anointed for their particular offices. The deliverer of the
                                                Jews would have been "the Anointed," having the characteristics of a
                                                prophet, priest, and king. "Soter" is Greek for savior. A savior
                                                would have these characteristics of the Anointed. So, effectively
                                                these terms were similar.

                                                Now, as I mentioned in my last post, the Gnostics did not view the
                                                flesh and blood Jesus and the Christ as one and the same. In
                                                adoptionist versions, the Christ descends into Jesus; however, the
                                                Christ would not suffer death, as the mortal Jesus would. And,
                                                further, in the docetic version, even Jesus only *appears* to be
                                                human. These interpretations all serve to emphasize the
                                                otherworldliness of the Gnostics.

                                                In any case, why use all these "Christian" terms? Well, because in
                                                the fluid milieu of the first few centuries, many whom we refer to
                                                as "Gnostic" thought of themselves as *Christian* (before "orthodoxy"
                                                demanded a specific dogma), with a varying, esoteric interpretation
                                                of a Christological *mythology*.

                                                > You're correct - I was suggesting "that Jesus, a man, need not be
                                                part of
                                                > the system". How do you view this?

                                                Since you were apparently speaking hypothetically of a modern,
                                                Sophian gnosticism, Gich, I'd say that a man, Jesus, as part of the
                                                system might not at all be necessary. But then, I guess I really
                                                don't know how you would envision this system.

                                                > Thanks for the reference, I'll look into it; I've got a long list
                                                of books I
                                                > want to read already ... not enough hours in the day nor days in
                                                the week.
                                                > :-) ..."Jonas, Hans (1988) "The Gnostic Religion", Boston." sounds
                                                very
                                                > useful; described as "seminal" by Harris. Do you have an opinion on
                                                this
                                                > book?

                                                Hmmm, well, Han Jonas's book is considered by many to be very useful,
                                                but outdated. He does have an existential outlook, which some find
                                                compelling. Kurt Rudolph's book, _Gnosis_, which is more recent,
                                                does fully incorporate the Nag Hammadi texts. Gich, I would highly
                                                recommend that you obtain some original Gnostic texts, with or
                                                without commentary. Robinson's _The Nag Hammadi Library and Layton's
                                                selections, _The Gnostic Scriptures_ (which I already mentioned, with
                                                annotations and outlines of mythic characters) would be very good
                                                additions to your library. In any case, it's good to immerse
                                                yourself in the actual texts and not just rely on commentary.

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 16, 2005
                                                  Hey Gich, sorry it took so long. I got caught up in silly things.

                                                  It looks like Lady Caritas has gotton to your question as well, so
                                                  let me just throw in some backing. Part of the problem is in dealing
                                                  with the way christ is used in different situations. Consider this
                                                  passage...

                                                  "Through the Holy Spirit we are indeed begotten again, but we are
                                                  begotten through Christ in the two. We are anointed through the
                                                  Spirit. When we were begotten, we were united. None can see himself
                                                  either in water or in a mirror without light. Nor again can you see
                                                  in light without mirror or water. For this reason, it is fitting to
                                                  baptize in the two, in the light and the water. Now the light is the
                                                  chrism."

                                                  As you know, "Christ" simply means "anointed". So, who is the christ
                                                  here? This author has just pointed out that become anointed.

                                                  Later passage....

                                                  "Jesus appeared [...] Jordan - the fullness of the Kingdom of
                                                  Heaven. He who was begotten before everything, was begotten anew. He
                                                  who was once anointed, was anointed anew. He who was redeemed, in
                                                  turn redeemed (others)."

                                                  The Christ manifest in Jesus, is anointed in Jesus "anew", and the
                                                  same thing happens to us? In other words, the Christ manifests in
                                                  one with the anointing...

                                                  "The chrism is superior to baptism, for it is from the word "Chrism"
                                                  that we have been called "Christians," certainly not because of the
                                                  word "baptism". And it is because of the chrism that "the Christ"
                                                  has his name. For the Father anointed the Son, and the Son anointed
                                                  the apostles, and the apostles anointed us. He who has been anointed
                                                  possesses everything. He possesses the resurrection, the light, the
                                                  cross, the Holy Spirit."

                                                  Philip does go on to equate Jesus with the "Christ", but you can see
                                                  that this would be obvious. Other cases are a bit different though.

                                                  In Allogenes we see the anointing.... but no Jesus.

                                                  >>>"And the all-glorious One, Youel, anointed me again and she gave
                                                  power to me."<<<

                                                  And here is a point of interest. Jesus is only mentioned off-hand in
                                                  the "Gospel of the Egyptians", as a sort of suit put on by Seth, the
                                                  true savior, but "Christ" is integrated in the text. It possible
                                                  that the Christian element (of Jesus' name) may be a later addition
                                                  (as we know happened to "Eugnostos the Blessed") to the tradition,
                                                  while "Christ" is not likely so.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 17, 2005
                                                    Hello pmcvflag

                                                    On 04/17/05, you wrote:

                                                    > "Jesus appeared [...] Jordan - the fullness of the Kingdom of
                                                    > Heaven. He who was begotten before everything, was begotten anew. He
                                                    > who was once anointed, was anointed anew. He who was redeemed, in
                                                    > turn redeemed (others)."

                                                    This could as well be read that Jesus and Christ were one at birth and
                                                    just renewed at the jordan, and not adoptionist at all. Of course it
                                                    is but one statement out of Phillip's Gospel, and it is Valentinian.

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 18, 2005
                                                      Hey Mike

                                                      >>>"This could as well be read that Jesus and Christ were one at birth
                                                      and just renewed at the jordan, and not adoptionist at all. Of course
                                                      it is but one statement out of Phillip's Gospel, and it is
                                                      Valentinian."<<<

                                                      Oh, sure.... which is why I pointed out that in the end Philip does
                                                      equate the two as well. But even in teh equation there are
                                                      destinctions. Obviously in other texts the case is different, and
                                                      there are many ways in which the "Christ" motif and the "Jesus" motif
                                                      is dealt with. Maybe you could point out which ones are most
                                                      interesting to you?

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Apr 19, 2005
                                                        Hello pmcvflag

                                                        On 04/19/05, you wrote:

                                                        > Hey Mike

                                                        > and just renewed at the jordan, and not adoptionist at all. Of
                                                        > course it is but one statement out of Phillip's Gospel, and it is
                                                        > Valentinian."<<<
                                                        >
                                                        > Oh, sure.... which is why I pointed out that in the end Philip does
                                                        > equate the two as well. But even in teh equation there are
                                                        > destinctions. Obviously in other texts the case is different, and
                                                        > there are many ways in which the "Christ" motif and the "Jesus"
                                                        > motif is dealt with. Maybe you could point out which ones are most
                                                        > interesting to you?
                                                        >
                                                        > PMCV

                                                        In the docetist text the Acts Of John, Christ actually talks
                                                        extensively to John while Jesus is being crucified, "what they say of
                                                        me I suffered, I did not suffer, what they do not say of me, that I
                                                        suffered" (paraphrased).