Re: Upanishads, Buddhism and Gnosticism

  • Tsharpmin7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2005
      hi gich... thanks for sharing that.  very interesting.  i used to think it would be
      nice if all i had to do for salvation was quit being such a bad boy and say and
      believe all the right (orthodox) things.  fortunately i don't seem to have it in me
      to do that.

      your friend,

      Crispin Sainte III

      I was browsing in a local bookstore recently and came across a reference to
      the Upanishads in a small book on Buddhism. The following is stated:

      "Buddha disagreed with the underlying philosophy of these texts
      [Upanishads], but he was in sympathy with their message that salvation must
      be sought within, and could only come through a deep understanding of one's
      nature."

      As I understand it, the Upanishads are the main body of the sacred writings
      of Hinduism and were written around 600-300 BCE.

      So, the very gnostic principle that "salvation must be sought within, and
      can only come through a deep understanding of one's nature" is common to
      Hinduism; and the Buddha "was in sympathy" with this idea. I just thought
      I'd share this with the group.

      Gich