Sophia?

  • pamela661
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
      I have heard of Sophia, but I can't exactly place her in the
      spiritual family tree, so to speak. I thought I had remembered her
      as being almost a cousin to Jesus, or perhaps the grandmother. Can
      someone please clarify?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "pamela661" <pamela661@y...>
        wrote:

        > I have heard of Sophia, but I can't exactly place her in the
        > spiritual family tree, so to speak. I thought I had remembered her
        > as being almost a cousin to Jesus, or perhaps the grandmother. Can
        > someone please clarify?
        >
        > Thanks!

        Hello, Pamela. Pertaining to your interest in historical Gnosticism,
        in our "links" section, we have some suggestions for reading,
        introductory articles, etc.

        Regarding Sophia (wisdom) specifically, this was a mythological
        figure found in various Gnostic systems.

        The Sophia myth of Valentinian schools, for instance, is approached
        in the following articles:
        http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/Sophia_Eve.htm
        http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/Valentinian_Creation.htm

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
          Hello lady_caritas

          On 03/09/05, you wrote:

          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "pamela661" <pamela661@y...>
          > wrote:
          >>

          >> I have heard of Sophia, but I can't exactly place her in the
          >> spiritual family tree, so to speak. I thought I had remembered her
          >> as being almost a cousin to Jesus, or perhaps the grandmother. Can
          >> someone please clarify?
          >>
          >> Thanks!
          >

          > Hello, Pamela. Pertaining to your interest in historical Gnosticism,
          > in our "links" section, we have some suggestions for reading,
          > introductory articles, etc.
          >
          > Regarding Sophia (wisdom) specifically, this was a mythological
          > figure found in various Gnostic systems.
          >
          > The Sophia myth of Valentinian schools, for instance, is approached
          > in the following articles:
          > http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/Sophia_Eve.htm
          > http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/Valentinian_Creation.htm
          >

          > Cari

          On the Qabalistic Tree of life, Sophia would fall at Binah, and Mary
          the Virgin at Malkuth, and their relationships would be approximately
          the same. Sorry, but the tree works on this one.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
            Hey Pamela, you asked...

            >>>"I have heard of Sophia, but I can't exactly place her in the
            spiritual family tree, so to speak. I thought I had remembered her
            as being almost a cousin to Jesus, or perhaps the grandmother. Can
            someone please clarify?"<<<

            In addition to the links that Cari provides I wanted to ask you a
            question. Which Gnostic texts have you read so far?

            PMCV
          • pamela661
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2005
              I've actually not read anything yet, I have attended some lectures
              and discussions that touched on the subject, but were not
              specifically about Sophia, so I could not really tie her in. I also
              remember a little something about Zoe, who may have possessed Eve in
              the garden when the apple was taken. I think the was the daughter
              of Sophia (not really sure about that). There was something about
              how Zoe then asked for her place back among the gods because she
              took the risk of knowledge (the apple) for Eve. That's about all I
              have so far. But I will check out the links that other people have
              left for me...

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2005
                Hey Pamela

                >>"I've actually not read anything yet, I have attended some lectures
                and discussions that touched on the subject, but were not
                specifically about Sophia, so I could not really tie her in. I also
                remember a little something about Zoe, who may have possessed Eve in
                the garden when the apple was taken. I think the was the daughter
                of Sophia (not really sure about that). There was something about
                how Zoe then asked for her place back among the gods because she
                took the risk of knowledge (the apple) for Eve. That's about all I
                have so far. But I will check out the links that other people have
                left for me..."<<<

                Well, those links may help quite a bit then. However, it seems time
                to go into the basics here as well since the outline of the Gnostic
                cosmology has been part of the general conversation of late. I will
                try to do that tonight.