Re: Manicheanism & Augustine

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
      Hello Tsharpmin7@...

      On 03/03/05, you wrote:

      > hi Mike... you wrote:
      >
      > "What became Christianity would not have happened without Paul and
      > Augustine, not that James version was Christianity, and probably
      > closer to the original version. I come close to hating Augustine
      > like you hate Paul. He brought the worst elements of Manacheanism
      > into Christianity, but went further with Original Sin. You want to
      > blame someone for the real mess that is Christianity, Augustine
      > makes Paul look postitively benign. Who did Calvin go back to?
      > Augustine."

      Basicallly the dark and pessamistic world view, of which original sin
      was his coup de ta (sp?). Negative ideas aout sex is another one.
      True, he twisted Manacheanism, it was not so negative as him,
      recognizing there was the good trapped in the world along with the
      bad. This old world comes of full of sin and evil for Augustine, a
      perversion of Manachean precepts.

    • Tsharpmin7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
        thanks, Mike...  maybe its the times and culture he was exposed to.
        i know very little about Augustine, but its not all that surprising to me
        that any man should be focused in or obsessed with the poverty,
        squalor, disease, corruption, etc., Augustine was probably well
        acquainted with.  besides, he certainly wasn't the first to
        misunderstand and ultimately distort a philosophy, as you've
        suggested he had.  and i'm lately beginning to wonder if sophistry
        isn't the normal operating procedure of most religious and political
        movements, especially as they devolve to the dogmatic state as
        opposed to the original active/perceptive state.

        i read a recent biography about Francis of Assisi while i was in the
        hospital and was struck by how swiftly many aspects of his life
        became distorted and mythologized; the sophistry manifesting as
        intentional additions and substractions of his life motivated,
        possibly, by "well intentioned" desires to strengthen the faith and
        substantiate points of doctrine/dogma.  and isn't sophistry, after all,
        one of the favorite tools of the propagandist?

        your friend,

        Crispin Sainte III