Re: Zoroaster

    Message 1 of 71 , Feb 8, 2005
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, carter stevens
      <cherrycreamon@y...> wrote:

      >>>Concerning Zoroastrianism and Gnosticism, there is probably more
      that they have in common, I just don't have the reading material on
      hand. I could of course look it up on line, but to do so and then
      print out copies to use for reference in order to illustrate my
      point, would of course take some time. That is why I have avoided
      doing so thus far! Laziness I suppose. Most of what I've spoken about
      is from memory, which is why there are some errors.<<<

      Yes, I was sure there must have been a good reason for that.

      >>>Concerning the Golden Rule... Sure, I've seen similar statements
      about loving your neighbor and so forth, but Zoroasters' statement
      seems to be almost identical to Jesus'. . . <<<

      Say, Carter, since you seemed to be keen in your previous posts on
      establishing a connection here (short of actually cracking open a
      book or otherwise researching the topic), I'm curious as to why you
      see the statements attributed to Zoroaster and Jesus as being MORE
      nearly identical than other examples of the Golden Rule? I'm sure
      you're not basing your point of comparison on the literal wording of
      modern translations since neither Jesus nor Zoroaster (if either
      actually existed) would have spoken English.

      Personally, I'm struck by how very similar the sentiment is between
      ALL of these verses, whether we're talking about the Talmud, the
      Mahabharata, the Udana-Varga, or the Analects of Confucius. I
      suppose I'd like to think that the Ethic of Reciprocity is something
      that has occurred to civilized peoples everywhere, even if we
      recognize it more in theory than in practice.

      Gerry
    • nakedalchemy@aol.com
      Message 71 of 71 , Feb 9, 2005
        In a message dated 2/9/2005 1:10:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
        Speaking of forgetting things.... what I hate the most is when I am
        at the store, or somewhere, and I forget where I live and......
        wait..... Do I know you, Gary?

        PMCV
        i have driven by my house, when i had one, a few times...
        what is worse when you feel in an alternative universe and everything looks only vaguely familiar..this happens to me alot...almost like an out of body experience only you are wide awake.

        mychael