Re: Gnostics and Templars

    Message 1 of 71 , Feb 1, 2005
      Say, Carter, before I offer my thoughts and comments, what have you
      got planned for Friday night? I'm just curious about your location.
      If I didn't live on the opposite coast, I'd be eager to take
      advantage of the lectures offered at the EG–LA. You've got a golden
      opportunity there. Did I get the correct night on that schedule,
      Mike?

      Anyway, you wrote:

      >> I agree that fiction should never be accepted as fact, however,
      The Gospel of Mary does contain the phrase "And he used to kiss her
      often on the ... Unfortunately we may never know what the last word
      was. <<

      True, we may never know. Basically, any way we choose to fill in
      those dots would be speculation, and what does that serve. Isn't it
      helpful enough to see from the context that Mary is being portrayed
      in that passage as somehow different (in a positive way) from the
      male apostles? My point is . . . I can think of all kinds of places
      where a man might kiss a woman without impregnating her, or even
      having to be married to her (unless I missed something in Health
      class). ;-)

      Then you wrote:

      >> Also I remember reading somewhere about the 3 Mary's in a work
      called the Gnostic bible which can easily be purchased off of gnosis.
      orgs' site for $22. where it states that there were three Mary's in
      the bible... Jesus' mother, his sister, and his wife. Although
      nothing has ever been mentioned in scripture! <<

      I think that some further clarification may be needed here. Since
      PMCV already provided the scriptural reference (Gospel of Philip) you
      seem to have had in mind, I'm not quite sure what you meant by
      nothing ever being "mentioned in scripture." Did you mean, "in
      canonical scripture"? While those books have their place, you may
      come to find that looking to them while pursuing Gnosticism can be
      like comparing apples to oranges. More importantly, since the
      citation in question was for a word that meant "companion"
      or "partner," it should be noted that the same passage in The Gnostic
      Bible does NOT mention Jesus having a "wife":

      "Three Marys walked with the lord:
      His mother, his sister, and Mary of Magdala,
      his companion.
      His sister and mother and companion were Mary."
      ——pp. 267-8.

      In that respect, not only is it not mentioned in scripture that Jesus
      had a wife, but neither is it mentioned in The Gnostic Bible . . . an
      anthology, I might add, that only came out just over a year ago. I
      don't want anyone getting the idea that this was a singular,
      canonized collection of scriptures that Gnostics were holding to
      their hearts centuries ago. If we exercise a little caution when
      quoting these sources, we may be able to at least "contain" the
      alternative history wildfire.

      Gerry
    • nakedalchemy@aol.com
      Message 71 of 71 , Feb 9, 2005
        In a message dated 2/9/2005 1:10:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
        Speaking of forgetting things.... what I hate the most is when I am
        at the store, or somewhere, and I forget where I live and......
        wait..... Do I know you, Gary?

        PMCV
        i have driven by my house, when i had one, a few times...
        what is worse when you feel in an alternative universe and everything looks only vaguely familiar..this happens to me alot...almost like an out of body experience only you are wide awake.

        mychael