Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Gnostics and Templars

  • carter stevens
    Message 1 of 71 , Feb 1, 2005
      You are correct about the Gospel of Phillip paragraph. What then do you make of the Dossier Secret family tree? The History Channel has already shown the bloodline although there is no evidence to support that it is the Saviors'. Why would Dan Brown draw this conclusion? According an interview with him, the fact that the bloodline starts with a fish is the evidence. Sounds fishy to me too when I think about it! But then what is the importance of this document at all? I would also dare to imply that Jesus would not even need to be married in order to have children, since he often broke tradition and did as he saw fit to do. Why would he follow mans' laws  when he was considered God or at least the son of God awarding him certain discretions?
      In fact, if we entertain the notion of a "virgin birth" as mentioned in the new testament, Jesus then, would have no need for sexual intercourse either. Anyone wanna tackle the subject of the virgin birth and which Mary it is? I'm just hypothesizing here so take this witha grain of salt, but it seems that not alot of people have considered these facts. thoughts? comments? lol.

      Hey Carter, welcome to the conversation. You state.....

      >>>"I agree that fiction should never be accepted as fact, however,
      The Gospel of Mary does contain the phrase "And he used to kiss her
      often on the ... Unfortunately we may never know what the last word
      was. Also I remember reading somewhere about the 3 Mary's in a work
      called the Gnostic bible which can easily be purchased off of
      gnosis. orgs' site for $22. where  it states that there were three
      Mary's in the bible... Jesus' mother, his sister, and his wife.
      Although nothing has ever been mentioned in scripture! Perhaps Dan
      Brown found this piece of info as well. Both of D. Browns' work
      appear to be anti- catholic in nature, which would suggest that
      there was a definite motive behind his writings, however
      misinformed. The mentions in Holy Blood Holy Grail are also
      consistant with the book Born in Blood which discusses the history
      of the Templars and FreeMasonry. The Dossiers Secrets is also an
      interesting piece of work and was discussed in cunjunction with
      D.Browns' book on none other than... The History Channel. Thanks...
      Thoughts? Comments?"<<<<

      I want to back George in his answer to you here when he points out
      that though there is a special emphasis on Mary in some texts, but
      this is still not a mention of any marraige or children. On the
      contrary, the docetic view that many Gnostics had would have made
      this impossible.

      I don't remember which texts are in the "Gnostic Bible", but I
      believe what you are talking about concerning the Marys is the
      Gospel of Philip where it says....

      "There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother,
      and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion.
      His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary."

      This again implies a closesness.... but it doesn't say "wife". I am
      not saying it is impossible, I am only saying that it was not
      generally a Gnostic belief nor is it stated in the Nag Hammadi the
      way Dan suggests.

      Let me also point out that Born in Blood, like Holy Blood/Holy
      Grail, and other books like "Bloodline of the Grail" are not much
      better history than Dan Brown. I can't remember off the top of my
      head whether these other books mention Gnosticism at all so I don't
      know if they have any material in them that is on topic here, but
      the can of worms is open *lol*.

      PMCV

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • nakedalchemy@aol.com
      Message 71 of 71 , Feb 9, 2005
        In a message dated 2/9/2005 1:10:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
        Speaking of forgetting things.... what I hate the most is when I am
        at the store, or somewhere, and I forget where I live and......
        wait..... Do I know you, Gary?

        PMCV
        i have driven by my house, when i had one, a few times...
        what is worse when you feel in an alternative universe and everything looks only vaguely familiar..this happens to me alot...almost like an out of body experience only you are wide awake.

        mychael