Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: The Dieing God

  • nakedalchemy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 28, 2005
      In a message dated 1/28/2005 1:17:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Mychael

      >>>"I think many of the gnostics saw paganism with the same disdain
      they had for orthodox Christians."<<<

      Just a curious trivia that I can't remember if I mentioned here
      before, but Celsus refers to the Christians as "pagans".

      Anyway, the word "distain" seems rather strong.

      PMCV
      yes, I recall reading that as well...disdain is a harsh word...would you prefer..at odds with?yet,much in common in many ways .
      One thing for sure, the Gnostics did not last much longer than 300 years after Christianity took itshold. Paganism went underground but began, historically, much earlier than Biblical accounts of God. Paganism never died off, but resurfaces here and there and even now, neo-pagans are the largest growing tracts of people who have lost their other "faith"
      The threads of Gnostic thought may have continued in certain philosophies over time until very recently the discovery of the Nag Hammadi texts came to light again.

      mychael