Re: Gnosticism and Theosophy

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
      Hello gich

      On 01/23/05, you wrote:

      > Could someone outline the main differences between Gnosticism and
      > Theosophy
      >
      > many thanks
      >
      > gich

      That would take a book. The main thing is Theosophy sees the creator
      as basically good, and evil as a product of renegade spirits and
      people. Reincarnation for them is evolutionary, for the gnostic it
      is essentially a punishment because we did not attain enlightenment in
      this life, and my no means is it necessarily universal. Some
      theosophical off-chutes like Max Heindel see the Old Testament god as
      restrictive, and to be rebelled against, the rebellion having been
      made possible by a Lucifer spirit in the guise of a snake (sound
      familiar?), but that is the exception not the rule, and Heindel has a
      bunch of other bad baggage, IE. racism. Theosophy is really
      westernized Buddhism, Gnosticism was a western and middle-eastern form
      of Platonism. I know I'm missing something big, but despite my years
      of study in Theosophy it won't come to me.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
        Hello gich

        On 01/23/05, you wrote:

        > Could someone outline the main differences between Gnosticism and
        > Theosophy
        >
        > many thanks
        >
        > gich

        Oh now I remember. Karma is fundamental to theosophy, I fail to find
        the concept in Gnosticism.

      • nakedalchemy@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
          In a message dated 1/23/2005 5:03:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, gich2@... writes:
          Could someone outline the main differences between Gnosticism and Theosophy

          many thanks

          gich
          lol, you want the footwork done for you...
          I wont outline as it would take too much time, but I will say this..Theosophy includes elements of gnosticism but it is not directly gnostic. theosophy is a later offshoot, you might say, wrapped in doctrine and Blavatsky's own mythical journeying and closely associated with "spiritualism"
          Interesting in and of itself, Theosophy displays much in the way of knowledge and esoteric cosmology, etc...but, for myself, once owning, but no longer, the Secret Doctrine, long ago...I have grown way beyond its limited structuring and can say, only the essence of it remains in my forward walk of discovery.
          Not much help,huh?

          mychael
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
            Hey Mike, you would know this better than I. I seem to recall
            Blavatsky mentioning "Gnostics" in Isis U.. Am I misremembering
            this? If not, do you recall her stance on this? Just a curiousity
            sparked by the question. No need to research, I just thought you
            might have something off the top of your head.

          • nakedalchemy@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
              In a message dated 1/24/2005 7:46:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, gich2@... writes:
              You write regarding Theosophists: "Reincarnation for them is evolutionary".
              Same with the Mormons I believe?
              Do you know of any other similarities?
              gich
              slightly off topic, but topical is the now rift again between Creationists, who call themselves something else, Intelligent..something---and evolution, again in the news..as some want to ban evolutionary theory from schools. My guess, in retaliation against many wanting God out of the classroooms.
              But, as I see it I find no problem with evolution and creation theory...possibly humans began, long before becoming human, as amoeba, whatever....and then, by Divine intervention(albeit from our gnostic POV, the Demiurge).
              Of course there are also so-called leaps in evolution especially where it involves humans.
              just an interesting side-note.

              mychael
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
                Hello pmcvflag

                On 01/24/05, you wrote:

                > Hey Mike, you would know this better than I. I seem to recall
                > Blavatsky mentioning "Gnostics" in Isis U.. Am I misremembering
                > this? If not, do you recall her stance on this? Just a curiousity
                > sparked by the question. No need to research, I just thought you
                > might have something off the top of your head.
                >
                > PMCV

                Definitely, and she speaks highly of them. Of course back then only
                one codex of Gnostic books (the one with Pistis Sophia in it -- the
                Asque Codex?) was available, so her comments were more limited than
                they would have been today. Of course the Church Fathers rebuttals
                were also available.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
                  Hello gich

                  On 01/24/05, you wrote:

                  > Hey Mike!
                  > You write regarding Theosophists: "Reincarnation for them is
                  > evolutionary". Same with the Mormons I believe? Do you know of any
                  > other similarities? gich

                  Actually there are many, but I don't remember all the ones Stephan
                  laid out and I'm no expert on the LDS. Lance, our priest in Salt
                  Lake City was a mormon, and could tell you more than I, but he is not
                  on this list. If you are really interested, http://www.gnosis.org
                  has a link to his email address, Servant Gnostic or something.