Re: Apophatic Theology

    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 15, 2005
      Hey Mike....

      >>"Frankly I go back and forth between thinking these kind of
      distinctions about infinity are meaningless, and thinking they are a
      great exercise to lift the mind from the mundane to the meaningful.
      A good example is Plotinus One. Because it is one and only one it
      does not exist, while the Unknown Father is not even one. How
      meaningful is this kind of distinction? That makes the Unknown
      Father One less a platonic idea(l) of One. Is it nothing, no that is
      a Platonic Idea(l) too, so it can't be that either. HeHe. :-) ;-)
      As usual the Gospel of Truth is probably my favorite text."<<

      Plotinus is one that came up in the other conversation as well, but
      let me take it back a little further...... Plato.

      As we know, Plato's unmoved mover is in no way this sort of infinite
      thing. Plato simply does not speculate that far. Platonists like
      Celsus accuse these "Christians" of misunderstanding Platonic
      thought. Do you think the historical Gnostics saw this as a
      destinction? Were they confused or did they knowingly take these
      ideas into new realms? Do you think this speculation was important
      to them?

      I know we all talked before about the forms of infinity (and even
      how Cantor's Set Theory had something in common with these esoteric
      outlines). But it always strikes me how many people really resist
      the implications of this notion of absolute indescribability. And
      yet, the Gnostic texts attempt it.... why?

      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 16, 2005
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 01/16/05, you wrote:

        > I know we all talked before about the forms of infinity (and even
        > how Cantor's Set Theory had something in common with these esoteric
        > outlines). But it always strikes me how many people really resist
        > the implications of this notion of absolute indescribability. And
        > yet, the Gnostic texts attempt it.... why?

        In taking Plotinus One back further to not even One, the Gnostics were
        trying to present ultimate reality, and to make you think. IMO at
        least. The hope being this would lead to greater revelation. As I
        said before though, I am not so sure how really useful all of this
        was or is.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 16, 2005
          > Hello pmcvflag
          >
          > On 01/16/05, you wrote:
          >

          > > I know we all talked before about the forms of infinity (and even
          > > how Cantor's Set Theory had something in common with these
          esoteric
          > > outlines). But it always strikes me how many people really resist
          > > the implications of this notion of absolute indescribability. And
          > > yet, the Gnostic texts attempt it.... why?
          >
          > In taking Plotinus One back further to not even One, the Gnostics
          were
          > trying to present ultimate reality, and to make you think. IMO at
          > least. The hope being this would lead to greater revelation. As I
          > said before though, I am not so sure how really useful all of this
          > was or is.
          >
          > Regards
          > --
          > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

          One upshot, Mike, is that it forces me to accept personal
          responsibility for some things, since an infinite ultimate
          reality, "absolute indescribability," is a far cry from a literal,
          anthropomorphic being to hold my hand. And, literally or
          figuratively, I really don't want to count on blind faith in a flawed
          demiurge to solve all my problems. *ahem*

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 16, 2005
            Hello lady_caritas

            On 01/16/05, you wrote:

            >> Hello pmcvflag
            >>
            >> On 01/16/05, you wrote:
            >>

            >> I know we all talked before about the forms of infinity (and even
            >> how Cantor's Set Theory had something in common with these
            > esoteric
            >> > outlines). But it always strikes me how many people really resist
            >> > the implications of this notion of absolute indescribability. And
            >> > yet, the Gnostic texts attempt it.... why?
            >>
            >> In taking Plotinus One back further to not even One, the Gnostics
            > were
            >> trying to present ultimate reality, and to make you think. IMO at
            >> least. The hope being this would lead to greater revelation. As I
            >> said before though, I am not so sure how really useful all of this
            >> was or is.
            >>
            >> Regards
            >> --
            >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
            >

            > One upshot, Mike, is that it forces me to accept personal
            > responsibility for some things, since an infinite ultimate reality,
            > "absolute indescribability," is a far cry from a literal,
            > anthropomorphic being to hold my hand. And, literally or
            > figuratively, I really don't want to count on blind faith in a
            > flawed demiurge to solve all my problems. *ahem*
            >

            > Cari

            Good point, it's just how far you take this, Plotinus One would have
            the same effect, I would think.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 16, 2005
              > One upshot, Mike, is that it forces me to accept personal
              > responsibility for some things, since an infinite ultimate
              > reality, "absolute indescribability," is a far cry from a literal,
              > anthropomorphic being to hold my hand. And, literally or
              > figuratively, I really don't want to count on blind faith in a
              flawed
              > demiurge to solve all my problems. *ahem*
              >

              > Cari

              Great point, Lady Cari. I think another thing I have noticed that is
              actually related to what you have noticed (in that it is a move away
              from materialistic "spirituality") is that the apophatic speculation
              pushes the bar up a few notches concerning just how far the material
              extends into most concepts of spirituality.

              I mean, even those who think they are beyond nathropomorphic ideas
              of deity often still think of spirituality in very egocentric terms.
              People generally still believe that the spirit is a personal
              function, subjective and interpretive. Sometimes that is about
              floating in astral realms, or psychological growth, etc.. Or, as we
              all know there are many who feel that the mystical experience is THE
              definitive process of spirituality. I can think of few concepts that
              really challenge a person to look beyond these things.

              Of course, the fact that modern science is conceptualizing in a
              direction that points to these notions of a beyond conceptualization
              removes an element of pistic doctrin and I sure that would have been
              an attraction to the historical Gnostics considering the respect
              that most of these people had for the scientific thinking of their
              time... but I think the logical aspect and the effect on thinking
              itself might have been more important. The logic involved seems
              practically incontrovertaible, so what better way to evoke the
              Logos? *lol* :)

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 16, 2005

                > > One upshot, Mike, is that it forces me to accept personal
                > > responsibility for some things, since an infinite ultimate
                > > reality, "absolute indescribability," is a far cry from a
                literal,
                > > anthropomorphic being to hold my hand. And, literally or
                > > figuratively, I really don't want to count on blind faith in a
                > flawed
                > > demiurge to solve all my problems. *ahem*
                > >

                > > Cari
                >

                > Great point, Lady Cari. I think another thing I have noticed that
                is
                > actually related to what you have noticed (in that it is a move
                away
                > from materialistic "spirituality") is that the apophatic
                speculation
                > pushes the bar up a few notches concerning just how far the
                material
                > extends into most concepts of spirituality.
                >
                > I mean, even those who think they are beyond nathropomorphic ideas
                > of deity often still think of spirituality in very egocentric
                terms.
                > People generally still believe that the spirit is a personal
                > function, subjective and interpretive. Sometimes that is about
                > floating in astral realms, or psychological growth, etc.. Or, as we
                > all know there are many who feel that the mystical experience is
                THE
                > definitive process of spirituality. I can think of few concepts
                that
                > really challenge a person to look beyond these things.
                >
                > Of course, the fact that modern science is conceptualizing in a
                > direction that points to these notions of a beyond
                conceptualization
                > removes an element of pistic doctrin and I sure that would have
                been
                > an attraction to the historical Gnostics considering the respect
                > that most of these people had for the scientific thinking of their
                > time... but I think the logical aspect and the effect on thinking
                > itself might have been more important. The logic involved seems
                > practically incontrovertaible, so what better way to evoke the
                > Logos? *lol* :)
                >
                > PMCV

                Well, yes. It's possible that there could oftentimes be a perception
                of a god of some sort dependent on the needs of the person involved.
                It *does* become very personal. Some might conjure up a father or
                mother figure. Others might push limits, sending a deity way out
                into eternity, ending up with a disinterested, non-interfering,
                deistic type of god. Also, there are some people who
                consider "notions of a beyond conceptualization" that you mention who
                nonetheless retain a materialistic worldview. In their minds, this
                unknown is a material unknown. Others might ask how then one can
                know this unknown is only material.

                I would imagine considering an absolute ineffability outside of
                temporal concepts of eternity could be scary for lots of people...
                because when you do, there is no footing, no familiar grounding.
                Preconceptions are continually being discovered and tested.
                Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way even when the going gets
                rough because any other path would be fake and a copout for me. Even
                apophatic theology in relation to trying to understand the gods of
                various religions doesn't go far enough for me. It's not the same as
                the ultimately absolute apophatic concept of the Gnostics. By
                allowing for the unknowable absolute (in both thinking and
                nonthinking mode), I discover things about myself that might be
                uncomfortable but in turn end up contributing to my journey to
                wholeness while I'm here on earth. I just can't help but be
                practical in that way. ;-)

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 16, 2005
                  > Well, yes. It's possible that there could oftentimes be a
                  perception
                  > of a god of some sort dependent on the needs of the person
                  involved.
                  > It *does* become very personal. Some might conjure up a father or
                  > mother figure. Others might push limits, sending a deity way out
                  > into eternity, ending up with a disinterested, non-interfering,
                  > deistic type of god. Also, there are some people who
                  > consider "notions of a beyond conceptualization" that you mention
                  who
                  > nonetheless retain a materialistic worldview. In their minds,
                  this
                  > unknown is a material unknown. Others might ask how then one can
                  > know this unknown is only material.
                  >
                  > I would imagine considering an absolute ineffability outside of
                  > temporal concepts of eternity could be scary for lots of people...
                  > because when you do, there is no footing, no familiar grounding.
                  > Preconceptions are continually being discovered and tested.
                  > Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way even when the going
                  gets
                  > rough because any other path would be fake and a copout for me.
                  Even
                  > apophatic theology in relation to trying to understand the gods of
                  > various religions doesn't go far enough for me. It's not the same
                  as
                  > the ultimately absolute apophatic concept of the Gnostics. By
                  > allowing for the unknowable absolute (in both thinking and
                  > nonthinking mode), I discover things about myself that might be
                  > uncomfortable but in turn end up contributing to my journey to
                  > wholeness while I'm here on earth. I just can't help but be
                  > practical in that way. ;-)
                  >

                  > Cari

                  Excellent, as always, Lady Cari. Better stated than mine, actually.

                  PMCV
                • janahooks
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                    > I would imagine considering an absolute ineffability outside of
                    > temporal concepts of eternity could be scary for lots of people...
                    > because when you do, there is no footing, no familiar grounding.
                    > Preconceptions are continually being discovered and tested.
                    > Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way even when the going
                    gets
                    > rough because any other path would be fake and a copout for me.
                    Even
                    > apophatic theology in relation to trying to understand the gods of
                    > various religions doesn't go far enough for me. It's not the same
                    as
                    > the ultimately absolute apophatic concept of the Gnostics. By
                    > allowing for the unknowable absolute (in both thinking and
                    > nonthinking mode), I discover things about myself that might be
                    > uncomfortable but in turn end up contributing to my journey to
                    > wholeness while I'm here on earth. I just can't help but be
                    > practical in that way. ;-)
                    >

                    > Cari

                    I think I may be on the verge of an "aha" moment (or "duh"). Once
                    again, Cari, could you direct me toward a text that is helpful along
                    these lines? You've probably done this before for me and it just
                    didn't take....:)
                    Thanks in advance,
                    jana
                  • nakedalchemy@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                      In a message dated 1/16/2005 10:55:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
                      I mean, even those who think they are beyond nathropomorphic ideas
                      of deity often still think of spirituality in very egocentric terms.
                      People generally still believe that the spirit is a personal
                      function, subjective and interpretive. Sometimes that is about
                      floating in astral realms, or psychological growth, etc.. Or, as we
                      all know there are many who feel that the mystical experience is THE
                      definitive process of spirituality. I can think of few concepts that
                      really challenge a person to look beyond these things.

                      Hmmm? I have mostly thought that I am in spirit and spirit is in  me, but I have never considered it being limited to me, in fact, it is what I mean when I say Spirituality is connection, that everything is connected to everything, and the simple realization of this is what brings on the logic of what spirituality entails...one doesn't necessarily need to have a mystical experience, but it is nice and helpful(although I have found it to be a hindrance too in compounding the message of gnosis). A mystical experience, for one, sometimes happens like a acid trip, way too overwhelming and not always clear. I would not comprehensively recommend it, but then, we have little say so, it would seem, if it does occur.
                      Gnosis, although akin to such a thing is without description, it is a "knowing" sometimes a feeling mingled in with conceptualizations, but, basically, once described, it is never of the same potency, or, rather...well, Like when I go to write a poem and try to get my thoughts into words, and the poem turns out not to be anything like I intended it to be. It may be a good poem, it may be full of all sorts of cool meaning and depth, but it still isn't the same thing as when I first imagined it.(Sometimes I write things that don't even seem to be of my own persona doing it at all).

                      Of course, the fact that modern science is conceptualizing in a
                      direction that points to these notions of a beyond conceptualization
                      removes an element of pistic doctrin and I sure that would have been
                      an attraction to the historical Gnostics considering the respect
                      that most of these people had for the scientific thinking of their
                      time... but I think the logical aspect and the effect on thinking
                      itself might have been more important. The logic involved seems
                      practically incontrovertaible, so what better way to evoke the
                      Logos? *lol* :)

                      when we dissect something we remove the mystique from it and see that its organs have functions, that, the thing that was once alive is just a carcass, it takes the romance out if it, so we go with reason and logic from thereon.
                      but, if we have never personnaly dissected anything, the mystique remains...CSI on TV spoils everything by being so in your face with precisely this. Instead of faith we have cold science, but science cannot and is not in the business of explaining supernatural phenomena beyond what can be proven. It attempts to and is sometimes confronted with unknown variables, but just by being unknown does not make it illogical, it just hasn't yet come to light.
                      I think the Gnostics wanted to work both sides of the fence here, and why not, it gives a broader view.

                      mychael

                      PMCV

                    • nakedalchemy@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                        In a message dated 1/17/2005 1:25:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
[...]

                        Cari..as I agree here, also, if the Unknow God is that unknown, then, I wont try to know it since no matter how much I would try, I wouldn't anyway. Just inconceivable and try and leave it at that.
                        But, my nature is insistent, too, so damn curious, I will be arrogant enough to confront mu understanding or misunderstanding, as the case may be, that I will go ahead and make the attempt.
                        One thing I have noticed in the TEXTS is that mention is made of the Ineffable, but so many more gloss over it, too. Some may make the attempt, as I do, but knowing it can't be done.., well, they tend to go back to what they know, and they know that these other gods they can describe are not the "one"..so sticking with the knowable gods is a much easier task.
                        I feel the Trimorphic Prottennoia is a beautiful example, they describe the Three Thoughts as having existence rather than describe or attempt to describe from What these  THOUGHTS came from.
                        It is these Three THOUGHTS that do the speaking. each connected to the other, distinct but ONE..A great concept for the original understanding of a TRINITY and incidentally understood as Feminine, The First THOUGHT being Barbelo, whom is the First Father(A FEMALE being a male), the Second Thought is the VOICE, and is the Female, the Mother, and the Third Thought is the Logos, now male and the Son...and EACH THOUGHT DESCENDS, and has its own story, you might say, spoken in the first person by each.
                        I love it!
                        So, that which is scary to many is that which we cannot know, so why bother, is what I say.
                        Howvere, that which we can know, it is our journey to find out as much as we can about it, them, whatever, the more we know, the more we understand what we know, and the more we understand, the greater our capacity for reaching beyond ourselves by reaching into ourselves.

                        mychael
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > I would imagine considering an absolute ineffability outside of
                          > > temporal concepts of eternity could be scary for lots of
                          people...
                          > > because when you do, there is no footing, no familiar grounding.
                          > > Preconceptions are continually being discovered and tested.
                          > > Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way even when the going
                          > gets
                          > > rough because any other path would be fake and a copout for me.
                          > Even
                          > > apophatic theology in relation to trying to understand the gods
                          of
                          > > various religions doesn't go far enough for me. It's not the
                          same
                          > as
                          > > the ultimately absolute apophatic concept of the Gnostics. By
                          > > allowing for the unknowable absolute (in both thinking and
                          > > nonthinking mode), I discover things about myself that might be
                          > > uncomfortable but in turn end up contributing to my journey to
                          > > wholeness while I'm here on earth. I just can't help but be
                          > > practical in that way. ;-)
                          > >

                          > > Cari
                          >
                          > I think I may be on the verge of an "aha" moment (or "duh"). Once
                          > again, Cari, could you direct me toward a text that is helpful
                          along
                          > these lines? You've probably done this before for me and it just
                          > didn't take....:)
                          > Thanks in advance,
                          > jana

                          jana, not being inside your head or heart, I'll not venture to guess
                          that I'd be successful in complementing your impending "aha" or "duh"
                          moment. ;-)

                          However, for starters, I can direct you to some Sethian scripture
                          that describes the ascent of the soul toward Gnosis. Both _The
                          Foreigner_ (or _Allogenes_) and Zostrianos involve intellectual
                          abstractions and mystical aspects. The Foreigner describes a
                          lifetime of deliberation (study, contemplation) in preparation. _The
                          Foreigner_ is concerned mainly with ascent, and _Zostrianos_ also
                          discusses the descent. Zostrianos is heavily metaphorical compared
                          to _The Foreigner_, but both works describe a process, a journey
                          through abstract aeons. Particularly relevant to our subject is the
                          apophatic description of the unrecognizable in _The Foreigner_
                          (similar to that found in _The Secret Book According to John_),
                          involving, ironically, a rational recognition that *complete*
                          rational understanding or description of the ineffable first
                          principle isn't humanly possible.

                          Here's a passage from _The Foreigner_ (Bentley Layton trans.)
                          preceding this apophatic depiction that describes part of this
                          person's experience with an added mystical component:

                          "Now, I was listening to them say these things {instructions of holy
                          powers}, and within me was stillness of silence. I listened to
                          blessedness, through which I understood myself as I really am. And I
                          withdrew to vitality, which I sought to understand; and I accompanied
                          it into itself, and stood at rest--not firmly, but in stillness. And
                          I beheld an indivisible, eternal, intellectual movement--belonging to
                          all the powers; formless; and unlimited by bestowal of limit. And
                          when I wished to stand firmly at rest I withdrew to reality, which I
                          found to be standing at rest and still, after an image and a
                          resemblance of the (image) which I was wearing. Through a
                          manifestation of the undivided and the still, I became full of
                          manifestation. (And) through a first manifestation of the
                          unrecognizable, I [understood] it (the unrecognizable), at the same
                          time [that] I was uncomprehending of it. And from the latter I
                          received power, having gotten eternal strength from [it]."

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, nakedalchemy@a... wrote:

> [...]
                            > whom is the First Father(A FEMALE being a male), the Second Thought
                            is the
                            > VOICE, and is the Female, the Mother, and the Third Thought is the
                            Logos, now
                            > male and the Son...and EACH THOUGHT DESCENDS, and has its own
                            story, you might
                            > say, spoken in the first person by each.
                            > I love it!
                            > So, that which is scary to many is that which we cannot know, so
                            why bother,
                            > is what I say.
                            > Howvere, that which we can know, it is our journey to find out as
                            much as we
                            > can about it, them, whatever, the more we know, the more we
                            understand what
                            > we know, and the more we understand, the greater our capacity for
                            reaching
                            > beyond ourselves by reaching into ourselves.

                            Thank you, mychael. I hope jana finds your words helpful, too.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005

> [...]
                              the
                              > Logos, now
                              > > male and the Son...and EACH THOUGHT DESCENDS, and has its own
                              > story, you might
                              > > say, spoken in the first person by each.
                              > > I love it!
                              > > So, that which is scary to many is that which we cannot know, so
                              > why bother,
                              > > is what I say.
                              > > Howvere, that which we can know, it is our journey to find out as
                              > much as we
                              > > can about it, them, whatever, the more we know, the more we
                              > understand what
                              > > we know, and the more we understand, the greater our capacity for
                              > reaching
                              > > beyond ourselves by reaching into ourselves.
                              > >
                              > > mychael
                              >

                              > Thank you, mychael. I hope jana finds your words helpful, too.

                              Also,... *recognition* of the unknown in the first place seems to be
                              of utmost importance in this process.

                              Cari
                            • janahooks
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                                Thank you, Cari and Mychael. And Cari, I thought it was interesting
                                that you said *recognize* the Unrecognizable One--I think I have only
                                been *acknowledging* several concepts. I wish I could pull my
                                thoughts together into an actual question, but I don't think that's
                                going to happen. Ha--the unrecognizable question. ;)

                                jana
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                                  wrote:

                                  > Thank you, Cari and Mychael. And Cari, I thought it was
                                  interesting
                                  > that you said *recognize* the Unrecognizable One--I think I have
                                  only
                                  > been *acknowledging* several concepts. I wish I could pull my
                                  > thoughts together into an actual question, but I don't think that's
                                  > going to happen. Ha--the unrecognizable question. ;)
                                  >
                                  > jana

                                  Ha! Didn't mean to provide a koan there, jana. lol

                                  Maybe I should have said it was important to recognize the image or
                                  concept, since we indeed only perceive through images in this realm.

                                  Cari
                                • nakedalchemy@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                                    In a message dated 1/17/2005 6:03:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
                                    Also,...  *recognition* of the unknown in the first place seems to be
                                    of utmost importance in this process.

                                    Cari
                                    yeppers...i,e, just knowing there is ofr isnt an unknon is quite enough to know
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                                      Hello lady_caritas

                                      On 01/18/05, you wrote:

                                      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >>

                                      >> Thank you, Cari and Mychael. And Cari, I thought it was
                                      > interesting
                                      >> that you said *recognize* the Unrecognizable One--I think I have
                                      > only
                                      >> been *acknowledging* several concepts. I wish I could pull my
                                      >> thoughts together into an actual question, but I don't think that's
                                      >> going to happen. Ha--the unrecognizable question. ;)
                                      >>
                                      >> jana
                                      >

                                      > Ha! Didn't mean to provide a koan there, jana. lol
                                      >
                                      > Maybe I should have said it was important to recognize the image or
                                      > concept, since we indeed only perceive through images in this realm.
                                      >

                                      > Cari

                                      Ah yes, as it says in the Gospel of Philip, explicitly.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                                        > Hello lady_caritas
                                        >
                                        > On 01/18/05, you wrote:
                                        >

                                        > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > >>

                                        > >> Thank you, Cari and Mychael. And Cari, I thought it was
                                        > > interesting
                                        > >> that you said *recognize* the Unrecognizable One--I think I have
                                        > > only
                                        > >> been *acknowledging* several concepts. I wish I could pull my
                                        > >> thoughts together into an actual question, but I don't think
                                        that's
                                        > >> going to happen. Ha--the unrecognizable question. ;)
                                        > >>
                                        > >> jana
                                        > >

                                        > > Ha! Didn't mean to provide a koan there, jana. lol
                                        > >
                                        > > Maybe I should have said it was important to recognize the image
                                        or
                                        > > concept, since we indeed only perceive through images in this
                                        realm.

                                        > > Cari
                                        >
                                        > Ah yes, as it says in the Gospel of Philip, explicitly.
                                        >
                                        > Regards
                                        > --
                                        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                                        Yes, it does indeed, Mike.

                                        "Truth did not come to the world nakedly; rather, it came in
                                        prototypes and images: the world will not accept it in any other
                                        form."

                                        And one of my favorites,

                                        "And, furthermore, when that person leaves this world, he or she has
                                        already received the truth in the form of images, and the world has
                                        already become the eternal realm. For, to this person the eternal
                                        realm is fullness and, as such, is manifest to him or her alone--
                                        hidden not in darkness and night but hidden in perfect day and holy
                                        light."

                                        Cari

                                        "
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                                          Mychael

                                          >>>"Hmmm? I have mostly thought that I am in spirit and spirit is
                                          in me, but I have never considered it being limited to me, in fact,
                                          it is what I mean when I say Spirituality is connection, that
                                          everything is connected to everything, and the simple realization of
                                          this is what brings on the logic of what spirituality entails...one
                                          doesn't necessarily need to have a mystical experience, but it is
                                          nice and helpful(although I have found it to be a hindrance too in
                                          compounding the message of gnosis). A mystical experience, for one,
                                          sometimes happens like a acid trip, way too overwhelming and not
                                          always clear. I would not comprehensively recommend it, but then, we
                                          have little say so, it would seem, if it does occur.<<<"

                                          I think you very nicely outline the problem with equating the
                                          mystical experience with "gnosis".

                                          >>>"Gnosis, although akin to such a thing is without description, it
                                          is a "knowing" sometimes a feeling mingled in with
                                          conceptualizations, but, basically, once described, it is never of
                                          the same potency."<<<

                                          I am not sure I agree with that, but I am not sure if I understood
                                          you correctly. The usage of the word "gnosis" in both the Platonic
                                          texts and the Gnostic is not so vague. On the contrary it often in
                                          very obvious contexts that we see it come up.

                                          Remember when we were using the allegory of math to
                                          describe "gnosis"? Since that was in the other group let me recount
                                          it here for the people who were not there......

                                          A person can understand the formulas for a very complex physics
                                          problem but have no understanding of how it is practically used or
                                          why the math even exists. They may even have the statistics to plug
                                          into the problem that represent real world actions. This is pure
                                          data, simply an academic knowing. We have all met those who are
                                          mathematicians for the plain love of numbers. This is obviously not
                                          gnosis, it is "pliroforo".

                                          On the other hand, there are the engineers and technicians who know
                                          exactly what the numbers are for. It is their job to actually USE
                                          those numbers to equate to real world practical experience. Often
                                          times they have no understanding as to why the numbers work, or
                                          where they came from, only that they do work. When you ask them how
                                          they know when to use which methods in a problem, you will
                                          surprisingly often here them say that they simply felt it in thier
                                          gut. This is also not gnosis, it is "xero".

                                          However, sometimes these two forms of "knowing", xero and pliroforo,
                                          come together. They cross the lines and meld into a situation where
                                          the person can really say they "know" the subject as if it was the
                                          back of their hand. You know the experience, you know the
                                          intellectual context, you know it inside and out... you
                                          have "gnosis" of it.

                                          It is interesting that so many people today are so bent on removing
                                          the academic end so that they equate gnosis with xero, but that is
                                          exactly what seems to be the popular usage today.

                                          Ok, Mychael, I know that you are already aware of all that. But let
                                          me point out then that I don't see what you mean by saying that once
                                          you can describe it it looses potence. When Archemedes supposedly
                                          ran naked from his bath after obtaining "gnosis" of the problem of
                                          mass, he was surely very excited to be able to describe it. After
                                          all, as the saying goes.... one who can't describe it doesn't really
                                          know it. Perhaps this is where the attacks from the polemicist
                                          against the Gnostics comes from when they say 'these Gnostics
                                          believe that you are not spiritually mature until you can write your
                                          own gospel' (paraphrase). I think that a deep knowing like this
                                          produces an excitement, a WISH to communicate it, and that
                                          includes "gnosis" as it pertainst to spirit as well.

                                          What do you think?

                                          PMCV
                                        • nakedalchemy@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 18, 2005
                                            In a message dated 1/17/2005 11:47:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
                                            Ok, Mychael, I know that you are already aware of all that. But let
                                            me point out then that I don't see what you mean by saying that once
                                            you can describe it it looses potence. When Archemedes supposedly
                                            ran naked from his bath after obtaining "gnosis" of the problem of
                                            mass, he was surely very excited to be able to describe it. After
                                            all, as the saying goes.... one who can't describe it doesn't really
                                            know it. Perhaps this is where the attacks from the polemicist
                                            against the Gnostics comes from when they say 'these Gnostics
                                            believe that you are not spiritually mature until you can write your
                                            own gospel' (paraphrase). I think that a deep knowing like this
                                            produces an excitement, a WISH to communicate it, and that
                                            includes "gnosis" as it pertainst to spirit as well.

                                            What do you think?

                                            PMCV

                                            perhaps "potency" is the wrong word to use here...I simply meant oftentimes it is not easy to put down in words--for others--exactly what you experienced, while it still can be true that you do know whereof you speak. Not all of us are Archemedes, and not all of us have the skills to describe things accurately...this is all I meant.

                                            mychael
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 21, 2005
                                              Hey Gich

                                              Pliroforo is facts and data, pure intellectual knowledge.
                                              Xero is intuited and experiential knowledge.