Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Baptism

  • nakedalchemy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12 1:09 AM
      In a message dated 1/12/2005 12:12:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
      In other words, the functions of the rituals is to gain that
      allegorical meaning and spiritual process of the message rather than
      washing away sins to make amends to some angry Demiurge lest he
      smite us.
      yes, the function of ritual is supposedly to aid in awakening and be a transitional aspect, marking the transition from one state to another, of awareness. When we dont get the message it implies ritually, we are merely faking it for whatever reasons...to be included, to not be left out, to let others think we are what we are not..it comes back to haunt eventually.
      it is a cleansing,but not of sins etc, of old thought, or is supposed to be.

      mychael
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 12 6:12 PM
        Cari....

        >>"The quote I typed from *Bentley Layton* did mention that
        though."<<

        Oops, nope, that is right.... it was Layton not Turner. I got mixed
        around a little there for a moment. *blush*.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 12 6:33 PM
          To add to what you say here Mychael, I think ritual can also serve
          as a mnemonic, or to enhance a particular mood (whether it be the
          sense of superiority in the entrance and black robes of a judge at a
          trial, or the act of wearing the little black dress to enhance that
          feeling of sexy confidence.. it has a ritual function.) OUr whole
          lives are filled with rituals we don't even think about, but they do
          effect us.

          However, as Mychael points out the function of ritual in the
          initiatory process is a bit more specific and integral. In fact some
          rituals go so far as to be intended to actually induce the
          change/experience/understanding, not just to enhance a mood or help
          us remember. Gnosticism is an initiatory system, by definition.

          PMCV

        • nakedalchemy@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 12 11:23 PM
            In a message dated 1/12/2005 9:36:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
            However, as Mychael points out the function of ritual in the
            initiatory process is a bit more specific and integral. In fact some
            rituals go so far as to be intended to actually induce the
            change/experience/understanding, not just to enhance a mood or help
            us remember. Gnosticism is an initiatory system, by definition.

            PMCV
            I agree, and some ritual has shown to do this for certain individuals...it became an "out of mind, but in the mind experience" and opened their eyes, if only enough to continue onward onto the path they chose that they were initiated in, and ye,s this is what it is, Gnostic thought is an initiation system,perhaps full of all the outer acoutrements of ritual, prayer etc, but the initiatory process, for me, is an ever evolving one, and I don't like to take things for granted and  settle myself there.
            I may be stuck in a present state of mind about something until which time something else clicks, another "aha" moment, and I will investigate it both internally and externally intellectually.

            mychael