Bible paraphrase of Mandaean rite

  • jemelzwa
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2004
      Here is the Biblical paraphrase of the Mandaean rite, or apart of
      it. I couldn't post it one peice, but I will send the whole thing on
      an attachment.

      This was created by reading each verse from the Masbuta rite with
      lexio divine or looking up the key words of the verses in Strong's
      Concordance to find the closest Bible verses to the Masbuta's, and
      then modifying the personal or temporal contest to that of the
      Mandaeic equivalent.

      Then Yahya folded his pandama over his face,threw incense on the
      fire and recited (something like:)

      Incense of sweet spices, pure and
      fragrant! Yea, for YeHo-Kabar,
      strong and
      mighty,
      who was great in council and mighty in
      deed,

      walked in his Light and came in his glory as the
      messenger
      to prepare
      his way in a cloud with power and great
      glory.

      Incense of sweet spices, pure and fragrant! Yea, for the
      great mighty YeHo-
      Shamin,
      the I AM from the heavens; who is beyond understanding
      and contains things too wonderful to
      know;
      for the Light and for the Glory that
      existed from the
      beginning,
      and for the Son
      who proceeded forth from the Father, for the Word sent forth from
      God,
      and for the Spirit of Truth, who was
      established from the Foundations of the
      Cosmos.
      Incense of sweet spices, pure and fragrant! Yea, for YeHo-
      Zadok-Madda-d-Hayyah,
      who is good and upright, instructing sinners in the way they should
      go;

      in whom was Life, the Light of men, who interprets
      silence and gives
      hope,
      who receives the prayers of the
      saints with incense from the angel before
      God.
      Incense of sweet spices, pure and fragrant!
      Yea, for the Son of Man, Hebel, Shethel,
      Anosh,
      Up-Right in the Clouds of Heaven, who was given all authority,
      glory and sovereign
      power;

      whose dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass
      away,
      and whose Kingdom is one
      that will never be
      destroyed.

      Incense of sweet spices, pure and fragrant! Yea, for the lives of
      our ancestors and of the
      saints
      and of the souls under the Altar who were slain for the word
      of God and for the witness they
      held. They
      testified and a door was opened to them which no one is able to
      shut.
      Let us pray for each other from the
      earth and from the
      heavens.
      All sweet oders perish;
      vapors vanish into the
      wind;
      but the
      perfume of YeHoWaH the great Life lasts until the aeon of
      aeons
      upon those who love His Name, in
      Spirit and in
      Truth.

      Yahya-Yuhanna said something like:
      "In the name of YeHoWaH! May the Light of Life break forth as the
      morning,
      and my health spring forth
      speedily, and my righteousness go before
      me,
      and my ears hear the Voice of
      Truth, and my speech be a spring of
      Life;
      for the Glory of YeHoWaH, the great
      Life, shall be my
      reward.

      We have acknowledged, and Glory is due to your name O Most-
      High.
      I come, reconciled with my
      brethren, bringing my offering to the One-Who-
      Is,
      and to the implanted Word, and to
      that most-worthy hidden
      Treasure
      in order to
      praise and extol and honor and bless
      thee.
      Yet who
      can utter your mighty acts? Who can show forth all your
      praise?
      You are magnified, You are
      glorified, and You are
      exalted!
      For lo You
      are come and there are none apart from
      thee.
      The waters saw thee,
      O God, the waters saw thee; they were
      afraid:
      the depths also were
      troubled.

      Upon seeing thee, the sea fled: the Jordan was driven
      back.
      The isles saw
      and feared: the ends of the Earth were
      afraid.
      Chariots were
      overthrown and fell on their faces. Cedars of Lebanon were
      rent;
      mountains skipped like rams, and the
      little hills like
      lambs.
      They opened and
      gave
      praise.

      In the wilderness do the cattle
      shed their young on account of the voice of Him-Who-
      Is.
      The heights arise and speak in your
      honor.

      What ailed thee O thou sea, that you were driven
      back?
      Ye
      mountains, that ye skipped like rams; and ye little hills like
      lambs?
      Heights! who did you praise?
      Earth! At whose presence did ye
      tremble?
      In the forests, on account of whom
      did ye abort your
      young?
      At whose presence did
      ye
      tremble?

      At the immeasurable Glory, and at the immeasurable
      Light, and at the
      Man,
      who came, divided the firmament, and
      was
      revealed.
      When
      YeHoWaH looked down from the height of His
      sanctuary;
      from
      heaven did Him-Who-Is behold the Earth,
      and His Glory illuminated the firmament across the
      housetops.
      They sat upon their
      rebellious thrones; they came down from their thrones
      trembling
      and sat upon the ground
      lamenting.

      The glory and honor of the nations
      were carried
      away
      and the
      lamps of the wicked were put
      out.

      The hosts of heaven where brought down, and the eyes of the
      lofty were
      humbled.
      And the Spirit cried with a loud voice: "My
      God, my God, why have you forsaken
      me?
      Why are you so far from helping me, and the words of my
      roaring?"
      And all rose up and
      worshipped YeHoWaH and all the congregation
      worshipped
      and they chanted praising the immeasurable Light and
      the immeasurable
      Glory,
      and the Son of Man who came, divided the
      firmament, and was
      revealed.
      He divided Light from darkness,
      separated Good from
      evil;
      and passed from
      death unto Life; and brought out Israel from
      Egypt;
      from darkness to Light, from the
      power of Satan unto God, and from death unto Life;
      and have set their feet upon a highway with a sure
      foundation
      and have made
      their footsteps
      firm.

      You have commanded us with your decree:" Abide in me
      and I will abide in
      you.
      If you abide in me, and my words abide in
      you,

      ye are the Light of the worlds. I am the Light of the
      worlds.
      Ye shall ask what
      ye will, and it shall be done for
      thee.
      And Lo
      I am with you always, even unto the age of
      ages."
      You are He who
      overthrows the mighty and famishes all the
      gods.
      They were broken down
      by their own abominable and cursed
      way.
      Great is the Dominion, and the
      Glory, and the
      Sovereignty
      wherefrom the Life
      administers!
      Blessed is that day
      in which you were revealed from
      heaven.
      That day no one
      knows save the Father who is in
      heaven.
      We shall
      reveal that day to those who love your Name, in Spirit and in
      Truth.
      We offer up our
      prayers, our commemoration, our petition, our goodness and our
      trust
      in your presence O hidden Treasure, our delight and
      support.
      You delight not in
      the blood of bullocks, rams, and
      goats.
      Vain
      oblations are not
      accepted.

      You turn away the noise of their songs
      and will not listen to the music of their
      harps.
      Were our voices like the sound of thunder;
      like the sound of many
      waters;
      then could we praise, extol, and honor, and
      bless
      thee.
      Your eye is
      upon them that fear thee, upon them that hope in your
      mercy.
      Be praised with mouths of joyful
      lips.

      Supporters of the weak who in faith do not
      waver,

      truthful Interpretations which are never private, praise
      thee.
      Sons of God
      undefiled; besides thee a great multitude which no man can
      number
      shining in the Light of good works glorify thee O
      heavenly Father and praise
      thee;
      for among them their is none
      hatred, envy nor
      strife.
      From the
      heavens do they praise thee in the
      heights.

      All your angels and hosts praise
      thee.

      The sun and the moon praise thee and all the stars
      of
      light.
      The heavens of
      heavens and the waters above the heavens praise
      thee.
      And they say: "Blessed are
      you O YeHoWaH and
      praised.
      Blessed is the
      place from where you
      came.

      Praised, extolled and honored be the great Place from where you
      came (the Father's busom) and
      praised, extolled, and honored be that Place to where you
      go."
      Your elect who dwell in
      your mountains praise thee. For your Spirit do they praise
      thee.
      You are beyond measure, infinite,
      eternal;

      You are the Father, You are the Son, You are
      the great everlasting Breath of
      Life.
      You are the root and offspring of Adam. You
      are the Beginning and You are the
      End.
      You were given glory before the foundations of the worlds and
      are revealed from
      heaven.
      The way was
      prepared for
      You

      and You departed to prepare a Place for those
      who love your Name, in Spirit and
      Truth.
      Turn your wrath away from us and your angels of wrath from our
      land and our
      house.
      In a flash, in a twinkling of an
      eye,

      our prayers and that of all the saints shall go up
      before thee from the hand of your
      angel.
      We acknowledge our transgressions, and our sin is
      always before
      us.
      Forgive us of our trespasses, and lead
      us not into
      temptation.
      If
      you do not forgive and deliver us from our sin and
      iniquity,
      then no one is
      righteous, no, not
      one:

      Before thee, there is none that
      understands.

      They have all gone aside and altogether have become
      filthy and
      unprofitable.
      We are slaves to
      sin,

      and You, O
      Lord are merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in
      mercy.
      Before thee, in your sight, our righteousness are as
      filthy
      rags
      and not even water
      from the Jordan is
      cleansing.

      The worlds did not recognize thee, nor thy
      Light,

      nor did they receive you, nor did they even know your
      name.
      Shame on them who seek to
      disgrace lives and plot to put them to
      ruin.
      Shame on them who ignore discipline; they
      shall come to
      poverty.
      Shame on them who are
      wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and
      naked;
      whose eyes have not been opened
      and who did not recognize their
      nakedness.
      Shame on and everlasting contempt to
      the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the
      fornicators, those who practice pharmoqoi, the idolaters and all
      liars.
      Day by day,
      they defile and pollute your Name; corrupting the
      meaning.
      Yet they did not know your
      Name, neither did they the
      meaning;
      for You have a Name
      written which only You
      know.
      But
      we have testified to the Way, the Truth, and the Life and have put
      our trust in
      God;
      and Madda-d-Hayya, the Son of Man, stood by us and was our
      intermediacary.
      The
      worlds oppressed us from one community unto the
      next;
      they persecuted
      us falsely, said all kinds of evil against us because of
      You.
      But we shall rejoice and be glad,
      because great is our reward in
      heaven,
      for in the same way they
      persecuted the prophets who came before
      us.
      Surely, we have confessed your Name and You
      will cloth us with
      imperishability;
      and we shall be raised up
      in the Son of Man, to where we were
      before,
      and we shall not taste death until
      we see the Son of
      Man,

      coming in a cloud with Power and great
      Glory.
      Your Name is Excellent O
      YeHoWaH. Your Name is from everlasting;
      Great is you Name! Feared is your Name! Glorified is your Name!
      Truth is your Name!
      And YeHoWaH be praised !

      Then Yahya recited something like:

      In the Name of YeHoWaH! Praises to the Life who dwells on
      High,

      whose ways are above and beyond that of the worlds and
      generations that pass
      away.
      Your eyes are on the righteous and Your ears are
      attentative to their cry for
      mercy;
      for You know Your own who hear Your
      voice.

      Praises to that Name which is hallowed above all
      names.
      That
      Name is upon Your House, that City which is holy, the new
      Jerusalem;
      and upon that Ray of
      Brightness,

      the true Light that gives
      light to every soul that comes into the
      worlds
      and gives them right to
      become children of
      God.
      Who
      gives us strength and who doesn't cut-off our
      dwelling ,
      who delivers
      us from the house of bondage and the fiery furnace on the day of
      judgment.
      Who changes us in a flash, in a twinkling of an eye at the
      last
      call.
      Praises be to YeHoWaH
      Elohim and to Madda-d-
      HaiYah ,
      the Son of Man who art our
      Intermediacary,
      who was sent with glory
      from the foundations of the worlds and came for our
      commemoration;
      whose soveriegnty was not of this
      world

      and whose mouth brought forth wisdom and praises
      not of this
      world.
      Praises, praises to the Ancient of
      Days, Son of the
      Life
      who was
      from the beginning called, was chosen, given glory, prepared, and
      sent into the
      worlds. You
      came and opened the Door before us and did construct a
      highway,
      walked a straight and narrow path,
      did set up a great Headcorner
      Stone,
      and did build a great
      community upon a rock.
      You were Helper, Savior, and guide to Adam, the Father of
      Humanity.
      You did sup with Your saints and
      did draw all men to yourself into a Communion of
      Life
      and built them indeed into a magnificent House and brought it
      down out of heaven from God.
      You have instructed us who are worthy of Your
      invitation:
      "Listen to me
      O ye whom I have
      called,

      and have brought out from amongst the people, nations, and
      tongues.
      Behold! Here I AM ! I stand at the Door and
      knock.
      You will
      eat, but will not be satisfied. Everyone who drinks will thirst
      again,
      (but) if you faithfully obey the commands I
      am giving you today to love the Living
      God
      and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your
      soul and to love your neighbor as
      yourself,
      {then} I will ask
      the Father, and he will give
      you
      another Counselor to be with you forever, the Spirit of
      Truth.

      Whoever drinks the water I give him will never
      thirst.
      Indeed, the
      water I give will become (in you) a spring of water welling up into
      eternal life.
      You will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to
      you.
      You will seek me and find me when you seek
      me with all your
      heart.
      I will be found by you
      and will bring you back from
      captivity.
      I will
      gather you from all nations and places where I have banished
      you
      and will bring you back to the place
      from which I carried you into exile.
      Behold! I am making all things
      new!

      To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without
      cost from the Spring of Water of
      Life.
      He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his
      God and he will be my son.
      A new command I give you: Love one another, As I have loved
      you,
      so you must love one another and
      do unto another as ye would have them do unto yourself.
      All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to
      me I will never drive
      away. For I
      have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of
      Him who sent
      me.
      And this is the will of Him who sent me that I shall lose none of
      all that He has given
      me,
      but raise them up at the last
      day.

      For my Father's will is that everyone who
      looks to the
      Son
      and believes in
      Him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last
      day.
      To him who overcomes, I will give right to eat from the Tree of
      Life
      which is in the paradise of God. He
      will not at all be hurt by the second
      death.

      I will also give him a white stone with a new name written
      on
      it,
      known only to him who receives
      it.

      To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will
      give authority over the
      nations.
      I will also give him the morning star. They
      will walk with me dressed in white for they are worthy.
      He who overcomes will like them, be dressed in
      white.
      I will
      never blot out his name from the Book of
      Life
      but will
      acknowledge his name before my Father and His
      angels.
      I will make him a
      pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave
      it.
      I will write on him the Name of my God, and the
      Name of the City of my
      God.
      I will prepare a place for him
      in my Father's mansion, the new
      Jerusalem,
      which is coming down out of
      heaven from my God. I will also write on him my new name.
      Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the
      Crown of
      Life.
      Blessed is the man who perseveres under
      trial, because when he has stood the test,
      he will receive the Crown of Life that God has promised to those who
      love Him.
      Put on the armor of Light, for the perishable must be clothed with
      the
      imperishable
      and the mortal with the
      immortal.

      You are baptized into Madda-d-Hayyah, the Son of
      Man, Knowledge of
      Life
      have clothed yourselves with Him
      to put on the new
      self,
      created to be like God in true righteousness and
      holiness.

      Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to
      his
      neighbor,
      for we are all members of one body.
      You have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on
      the new
      self,
      which is being renewed in knowledge in the image
      of its Creator.
      Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness
      and patience.
      We salute and praise the saints and them who are called of
      God
      and the chosen few and the
      heavenly Being
      who is not of this world, whose eyes are upon the righteous who fear
      Him and hope in His mercy.
      You are He O YeHoWaH, for you know the
      works
      and
      imaginations of the nations and the thoughts in the hearts of men.
      You know when a man sits and when he rises, discerning his going out
      and his lying down.
      You are familiar with all his ways. Before a word is on his tongue,
      You know it completely O Lord.
      The wise boast not about tomorrow; the proud looks of men are
      humbled,
      and the haughty are brought low.
      A Messenger of Life is sent to comfort them who
      overcome.
      Those who
      seek from him will
      find,

      and those who ask of Him it will be given, day by
      day, one hour after another.
      Do not let us be put to shame! Do not cast us away and forsake us
      among our
      enemies
      who speak against us, who conspire together to
      destroy us with their wickedness.
      The good will inherit life but the wicked shall be cast out and
      perish.
      The saints shall see the
      heavens
      opened

      and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son
      of Man.
      They shall lift up their eyes to see the Realm of Light and the
      everlasting Kingdom of Heaven;
      for You O YeHoWaH, call those who are in
      prayer,
      and give
      strength to Your people, and bless them with peace.
      You exalt horns, broaden the path beneath us, make straight a
      highway,
      and did unite us together in Communion
      of Life.
      You are He who constructs, brings us out from amongst peoples,
      nations, and
      tongues
      every soul who is summoned, worthy and invited,
      whose life is ended and have fallen
      asleep;
      You will be a helper, savior, and guide to the
      everlasting House of Life.
      As to the one whose days are
      numbered

      and for all who are still alive today holding steadfast
      to their prayers and
      devotions
      and wait upon the Lord, the Spirit of Truth shall
      comfort them.
      Pour out your Spirit on all those who love your Name in Spirit and
      in Truth.
      You have spoken your word, given us your commandment: "Heaven and
      Earth shall pass
      away,
      but my words shall not pass away.
      [So] Whoever confesses me before men, the Son of Man shall confess
      before the Angels of God.
      You will call, and I, YeHoWaH, will answer.
      You will cry, and I will say 'Here I am,' and will comfort thee and
      uphold thee with my right hand."
      We will devote ourselves to prayer with the saints and ask of thee
      for ourselves a
      petition,
      and for our friends and for our families, and for the
      Community of
      Life
      and for the Nazeria of Life, spread out
      upon the earth.
      Bring forth to us your Glory and lend to us your Light as you always
      do without conditions.
      We will keep your commandments and enter into
      Life,

      and we shall go out with joy and be led forth with peace.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2004
        Hello jemelzwa

        On 12/21/04, you wrote:

        > Here is the Biblical paraphrase of the Mandaean rite, or apart of
        > it. I couldn't post it one peice, but I will send the whole thing on
        > an attachment.
        >
        > This was created by reading each verse from the Masbuta rite with
        > lexio divine or looking up the key words of the verses in Strong's
        > Concordance to find the closest Bible verses to the Masbuta's, and
        > then modifying the personal or temporal contest to that of the
        > Mandaeic equivalent.

        And what was the point of this exercise?

      • jemelzwa
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2004
          For myself, prayer. For the accademic community, a useful comparison
          of Mandaean verses to the Bible. For the Gnostic, discovering the
          roots of Gnosticism.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 24, 2004
            Hello jemelzwa

            On 12/24/04, you wrote:

            >> Hello jemelzwa
            >>
            >> On 12/21/04, you wrote:
            >>

            >> Here is the Biblical paraphrase of the Mandaean rite, or apart of
            >> it. I couldn't post it one peice, but I will send the whole thing
            > on
            >> > an attachment.
            >> >
            >> > This was created by reading each verse from the Masbuta rite with
            >> > lexio divine or looking up the key words of the verses in
            >> > Strong's Concordance to find the closest Bible verses to the
            >> > Masbuta's, and then modifying the personal or temporal contest to
            >> > that of the Mandaeic equivalent.
            >>
            >> And what was the point of this exercise?
            >>
            >> Regards
            >> --
            >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
            >

            > For myself, prayer. For the accademic community, a useful comparison
            > of Mandaean verses to the Bible. For the Gnostic, discovering the
            > roots of Gnosticism.

            I'll buy that. :-)