Re: Idea of Gnosis

    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 11, 2004
      > Hello lady_caritas
      >
      > On 12/11/04, you wrote:
      >

      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
      wrote:
      > >> Hello lady_caritas
      > >>
      > >> On 12/10/04, you wrote:
      > >>
      > >> IOW, to end my rambling here, there seemed to be a common
      emphasis
      > >> on a pneumatic remembrance, an awakening from ignorance common to
      > >> these groups, that was still apparent in spite of varying
      > >> expressions, cosmological details, and ritual emphasis in
      > > attaining
      > >>
      > >> We should remember that the late NeoPlatonists like Proclus were
      > > very
      > >> theurgic, if not plain magical in their emphasis.
      > >>
      > >> Regards
      > >> --
      > >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
      > >

      > > Yes, Mike, and I don't know if Jung felt the same dislike for
      > > Proclus as he did toward other Neoplatonists. Proclus was still
      the
      > > philosopher, but certainly incorporated theurgy in his
      contemplation
      > > of Forms.
      > > http://www.kheper.net/topics/Neoplatonism/Proclus-theurgy.html
      >
      > I seem to remember Iamblicus On the Mysteries, which was very
      theurgic
      > too. I don't have ready access to my library (long story) or I
      would
      > check.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

      You must have some amazing library, Mike. Anyway, I was able to find
      this online:
      http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/iambl_th.htm

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 11, 2004
        Hello lady_caritas

        On 12/11/04, you wrote:

        >> Hello lady_caritas
        >>
        >> On 12/11/04, you wrote:
        >>

        >>> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>

        > emphasis
        >>> attaining

        >>> very

        >>> Yes, Mike, and I don't know if Jung felt the same dislike for
        >>> Proclus as he did toward other Neoplatonists. Proclus was still
        > the
        >>> philosopher, but certainly incorporated theurgy in his
        > contemplation
        >>> of Forms.
        >>> http://www.kheper.net/topics/Neoplatonism/Proclus-theurgy.html
        >>
        >> I seem to remember Iamblicus On the Mysteries, which was very
        > theurgic
        >> too. I don't have ready access to my library (long story) or I
        > would
        >> check.
        >>
        >> Regards
        >> --
        >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
        >

        > You must have some amazing library, Mike. Anyway, I was able to find
        > this online:
        > http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/iambl_th.htm

        This appears to be the work in question. The style makes it a bit
        hard to read, I'm afraid.

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 11, 2004
          In my memory I seem to recall that Pearson pushes back even farther,
          a little into the second century B.C.. To be honest though, I can't
          recall what evidence he presents for that.... and I can't think of
          any myself. I also was just noticing that Turner and Pearson seem to
          have many parallel studies, such as the specific connection between
          Gnosticism and Platonism. From what I am reading they seem very much
          in agrement. Perhaps Turner is a good replacement (and maybe a bit
          updated) for the fact that Pearson seems pretty hard to find. It
          would be helpful to have more books on this perticular subject to be
          able to recomend to people. Expect my review within a year ;) *lol*

          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
          wrote:
          > > Hello lady_caritas
          > >
          > > On 12/10/04, you wrote:
          > >

          > > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@y...>

          Turner
          > some

          > > > Hi, PMCV. Turner also does mention (near the end of III.
          > Chronology
          > > > and Redaction, A. Before 100 C.E.) earliest Sethian
          compositions
          > > > that were written by the end of the first century. I would
          copy
          > and
          > > > paste here, but I can't seem to access the web page right now.
          > > >
          > > > He basically shows an origin for Sethianism before 100 C.E in
          > this
          > > > whole section. Are there sources that postulate a much
          earlier
          > > > origin?
          > > >
          > > > Cari
          > >
          > > I have heard about 100 BCE. PMCV?
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > --
          > > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
          >

          > Oh, yes, Mike. I checked back to a previous post of mine (#10379)
          in

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 11, 2004
            Hey Mike...

            >>>"Just one, the early Valentinians were in the church, the
            Sethians were not."<<<

            Perhaps, but what about the synagogue? Also, I am not so sure that
            the Christinized "Sethian" tracts were not originally used in the
            church. On the other hand, they are hard to reconcile with what we
            know of the earliest Christian texts. I think this question is very
            difficult to be positive about, either way.