Re: Sethians

  • janahooks
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2004
      > It seems to me that we almost never talk about Sethian Gnosticism
      in
      > here. In some of my recent posts I have observed this leaning
      > towards Valentinianism, not only here, but even in a lot of
      > liturature on the topic. I would like to talk about the groups that
      > are not so familiar to many people, namely Sethian forms of
      > Gnosticism.

      Could you suggest some reading in addition to the NH? I can find
      loads of Valentinian stuff, but I want a clearer grasp of Sethianism
      if I'm going to have any hope of following this conversation! Hope
      you had a nice holiday as well. jana
    • mercyboxfan
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2004
        > Hi Karl,
        It's good to read your heady insights again. When I think about Seth
        and Sethian Gnosticism I think of just a derivation on Christian
        Gnosticism....Seth being substituted for Jesus. They were both (first
        century) baptism sects. Meaning that baptism was a way of bestowing
        or inviting gnosis for both beginning sects. They both believed that
        Seth and Jesus were embued with grace,christ,logos...whatever at the
        time of baptism. So much alike are they that you wonder how much of
        the Jesus mythos was taken from the already Sethian work in progress.
        This said...I really don't feel I know enough to make helpful
        comments. But here is a question....Some say the Sophian mythos
        started with Sethian Gnosticism...do you know what gospel, or what
        writing, this connection comes from?
        Sorry that I don't know enough to banter better...lol.

        Thanks
        Anne Marie

        > Hey all, hope the holiday season has been going well. We usually
        > slow down in here quite a bit at this time of year, but there is a
        > subject that I would like to bring up for the group.
        >
        > It seems to me that we almost never talk about Sethian Gnosticism
        in
        > here. In some of my recent posts I have observed this leaning
        > towards Valentinianism, not only here, but even in a lot of
        > liturature on the topic. I would like to talk about the groups that
        > are not so familiar to many people, namely Sethian forms of
        > Gnosticism.
        >
        > A few specific issues I would like to bring up (but feel free to
        > bring up your own questions comments and observations)....
        >
        > 1) There is some debate as to whether Gnosticism is an outgrowth
        > from Christianity with the Sethians being the farthest swing away
        > (as A. Logan states), or whether Sethians are an original source
        and
        > the Valentinians are more of an attempt to modify it towards
        > Christianity (as B. Pearson outlines). Any comments?
        >
        > 2) The Sethian cosmology is so destinct, and I can't think of any
        > real direct statements of "This is allegory" the way we see in a
        > couple Valentinian texts... and there has been some debate as to
        > whether this IS meant to be allegory or literal (or both). Thoughts?
        >
        > 3) I have observed that while Valentinian thought seems the most
        > popular overall, there is a move by some modern groups that appeal
        > very much to the counterculture to take the "Sethian" outline as a
        > social rebelion, or an attack on "xians". Do you think this is an
        > accurate usage?
        >
        > PMCV
      • hermetic_star
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2005
          Hmm, it's the lady who dropped off the face of the Earth. Nice to hear
          from you again too... :)

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "mercyboxfan" <mercyboxfan@y...>