Re: [Gnosticism2] Gospel of Truth

  • Xiblis
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2004
      I am currently reading the Gospel of Truth. Has anyone in here read
      this or have comments on it or would like to discuss it? I am very new
      to Gnosticism, so any pointers or suggested reads would be helpful.

      Thanks,
      Jen
    • annie
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 23, 2004
        Hi Jen,

        Is that the one that talks mainly about sexual vs. spiritual issues?  I have read it, but not lately.  I'll read it again because I'd like to discuss it, too.  I'll post again after I read it.

        love~from~annie

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 23, 2004
          Hello annie

          On 11/23/04, you wrote:

          > I am currently reading the Gospel of Truth. Has anyone in here
          > read
          > this or have comments on it or would like to discuss it? I am very
          > new
          > to Gnosticism, so any pointers or suggested reads would be
          > helpful.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jen

          > Hi Jen,
          >
          > Is that the one that talks mainly about sexual vs. spiritual issues?
          > I have read it, but not lately. I'll read it again because I'd like
          > to discuss it, too. I'll post again after I read it.

          Good heavens, where did you get that idea?

        • K.M.Hunter
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2004
            Xiblis wrote:

            > I am currently reading the Gospel of Truth. Has anyone in here
            read this or have comments on it or would like to discuss it? I am
            very new > to Gnosticism, so any pointers or suggested reads would be
            helpful.

            > Thanks,
            > Jen

            The gospel of Truth is indeed an interesting book. I especially like
            the part wherein it is written that people who have within them
            truth, are called, and hear the call. Their names are spoken and they
            respond. For how can one who has no name be called?

            I think the central concept of this work is to emphasize that we must
            not lack truth, i.e. knowledge; the saving gnosis. The world of the
            Demiurge is the world of error. We ourselves when in forgetfulness
            are composed of the very stuff of error; and when error perishes at
            the assension of the universe, those who lack the light of truth,
            that are not in and of themselves the manifestation of truth, will be
            destroyed, as an error.

            sincerely,

            Keith
          • annie
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 23, 2004
              I don't know!  I'll have to check it out, and let you know.  ???
              love~from~annie
              >  I am currently reading the Gospel of Truth. Has anyone in here
              > read
              >  this or have comments on it or would like to discuss it? I am very
              > new
              >  to Gnosticism, so any pointers or suggested reads would be
              > helpful.
              >
              >  Thanks,
              >  Jen

              > Hi Jen,
              >
              > Is that the one that talks mainly about sexual vs. spiritual issues?
              > I have read it, but not lately. I'll read it again because I'd like
              > to discuss it, too. I'll post again after I read it.

              Good heavens, where did you get that idea?

              Mike Leavitt  ac998@...

            • annie
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 23, 2004
                Oh my, wrong book entirely.   I was thinking of the Testimony of Truth.  And in my quick perusal just now, I realize I should have said 'carnal' instead of 'sexual' because truly that is what it is about.  I think that a few of the words stuck in my memory instead of the gist of the whole thing.  (where is my mind? lol) Just kidding.  I was surprised, I remember, when I read it, since I had not seen 'sexual', the word, in any of the other Nag Hammadi at the time I first read it--I guess that's what stuck in my mind.  *blush*

                love~from~annie

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 24, 2004
                  Hello annie

                  On 11/24/04, you wrote:

                  > Oh my, wrong book entirely. I was thinking of the Testimony of
                  > Truth. And in my quick perusal just now, I realize I should have
                  > said 'carnal' instead of 'sexual' because truly that is what it is
                  > about. I think that a few of the words stuck in my memory instead of
                  > the gist of the whole thing. (where is my mind? lol) Just kidding. I
                  > was surprised, I remember, when I read it, since I had not seen
                  > 'sexual', the word, in any of the other Nag Hammadi at the time I
                  > first read it--I guess that's what stuck in my mind. *blush*

                  OK, now I feel better. :-)