Re: QUESTIONS...

    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004
      Hello annie

      On 11/22/04, you wrote:

      > If you don't mind me asking, Mike, how old are you? Just curious
      > related to the mystery of Meat Loaf. love~from~annie

      58, and given the associations of this character I would know if I had
      ever had the slightest interest in the underground movie scene.

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004

        > My only memeory of the Rocky Horror thing was watching people line
        > up outside this theater that played it for five years straight. I
        > was never into the underground movie thing and never saw it, and
        > never cared to. Oh well, different strokes....
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt

        Same here, Mike. I wouldn't have any familiarity with the RHPS
        phenomenon if it hadn't been for my sister and a couple friends who
        braved the lines. His song DID get a lot of airtime back then
        though, and I listened to a lot of radio at the time.

        It's just a darned shame that something like "Hedwig" wasn't released
        back then instead. For those of us here who weren't schooled in the
        ways of neo-platonism and Gnostic thought at an early age, a film
        like that might have been quite a timesaver.

        Again, the question might center around how much good can come out of
        the popular presentation of such subjects. We can suppose that there
        would be some out there who would discover Plato's _Symposium_ as a
        result of a production like that, so surely that could be a good
        thing——especially if they otherwise found the Classics to be too
        stodgy. At the same time, now that so much of this formerly obscure
        material is readily available on the shelves of Anytown's bookstore,
        it's scary to think how many people might misinterpret the meaning of
        such things as making the inner like the outer, and making male and
        female into a single one, etc. It ain't about gettin' a sex change.

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 22, 2004
          > Hello lady_caritas
          >
          > On 11/22/04, you wrote:
          >

          > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
          wrote:

          > >> The meat loaf site locked up my first browser, and just gave me
          his
          > >> picture and large black areas on the other two, so while you were
          > >> right about meathead, I still don't know who meatloaf was. I sent
          > >> the link to work to look at it in IE, and I guess that will make
          > >> the site work so I will then know who he was. He looks like Jeb
          > >> Clampet's son in The Beverly Hillbillies, but....
          > >>
          > >> Regards
          > >> --
          > >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
          > >

          > > Gosh, sorry about that, Mike. Actually, if you want, you could
          just
          > > plug "Meat Loaf" in a search engine. (That other one was just a
          fan
          > > club.) There are many more sites, and you might find one that will
          > > open properly in your browser.
          > >

          > > Cari
          >
          > I'm not so anxious to know that I can't wait until tomorro, had I
          > really wanted to know sooner, I could have forwarded it to the wife,
          > she uses foxfire and has IE if it wouldn't work.
          >
          > Regards
          > --
          > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

          Well, in any case, this following link might be a bit more
          informative than the other one:

          ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001533/ )

          *bio*: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001533/bio

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 22, 2004
            Hello Gerry

            On 11/22/04, you wrote:

            >> My only memeory of the Rocky Horror thing was watching people line
            >> up outside this theater that played it for five years straight. I
            >> was never into the underground movie thing and never saw it, and
            >> never cared to. Oh well, different strokes....
            >>
            >> Regards
            >> --
            >> Mike Leavitt
            >

            > Same here, Mike. I wouldn't have any familiarity with the RHPS
            > phenomenon if it hadn't been for my sister and a couple friends who
            > braved the lines. His song DID get a lot of airtime back then
            > though, and I listened to a lot of radio at the time.
            >
            > It's just a darned shame that something like "Hedwig" wasn't
            > released back then instead. For those of us here who weren't
            > schooled in the ways of neo-platonism and Gnostic thought at an
            > early age, a film like that might have been quite a timesaver.
            >
            > Again, the question might center around how much good can come out
            > of the popular presentation of such subjects. We can suppose that
            > there would be some out there who would discover Plato's _Symposium_
            > as a result of a production like that, so surely that could be a
            > good thing
            >
            > Gerry

            Gee you're right, let the trans-gender people get hold of it
            and....:-)

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 22, 2004
              Hello lady_caritas

              On 11/22/04, you wrote:

              >> Hello lady_caritas
              >>
              >> On 11/22/04, you wrote:
              >>

              >>> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>

              > his

              >>> Gosh, sorry about that, Mike. Actually, if you want, you could
              > just
              >>> plug "Meat Loaf" in a search engine. (That other one was just a
              > fan
              >> > club.) There are many more sites, and you might find one that
              >> > will open properly in your browser.
              >> >

              >> > Cari
              >>
              >> I'm not so anxious to know that I can't wait until tomorro, had I
              >> really wanted to know sooner, I could have forwarded it to the
              >> wife, she uses foxfire and has IE if it wouldn't work.
              >>
              >> Regards
              >> --
              >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
              >

              > Well, in any case, this following link might be a bit more
              > informative than the other one:
              >
              > ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001533/ )
              >
              > *bio*: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001533/bio

              Yes, very informative. I had heard the name, but that was about it.
              I'm a bit surprised I didn't know who he was, even with my general
              disinterest in what he did.

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 22, 2004
                Oh, yes, yes, Gerry, that is exactly what I meant... I mean, the
                musical style, compared to what we are often used to hearing in Meat
                Loaf, is so similar. To me, Meat Loaf sounds like he belongs in
                musical theatre (though I don't know enough about him to know if he
                was involved with this genre outside of Rocky Horror)

                More to the point, I think the people from our group here will
                pretty quickly pick out the Platonist connections. I keep thinking I
                will take a second look at it myself.

                > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
                wrote:

                > > The meat loaf site locked up my first browser, and just gave me
                his
                > > picture and large black areas on the other two, so while you were
                > > right about meathead, I still don't know who meatloaf was. I
                sent
                > > the link to work to look at it in IE, and I guess that will make
                the
                > > site work so I will then know who he was. He looks like Jeb
                > > Clampet's son in The Beverly Hillbillies, but....
                > >
                > > Regards
                > > --
                > > Mike Leavitt
                >

                > Geeez, Mike, you must have been pretty busy since the 70's . . . ,
                > but if "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" and the _Rocky Horror Picture
                > Show_ don't ring any bells for you, then Cari's link may not help
                you
                > anyway.
                >
                > Going back to the beginning, here's a very brief plot outline for
                the
                > movie I mentioned earlier:
                >
                > "A transexual punk rock girl from East Berlin tours the US with
                her
                > rock band as she tells her life story and follows [i.e. "stalks"]
                the
                > ex-boyfriend/bandmate who stole her songs."
                > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248845/
                >
                > The "ex-boyfriend" there is a reference to the character of Tommy
                > Gnosis, whom I described previously as stealing and bastardizing
                > Hedwig's music. There is a point in the film where the
                protagonist
                > realizes not only that Tommy has abandoned her in pursuit of his
                own
                > stardom, but that he isn't fully aware of the meaning of the
                lyrics,
                > for example, changing the name of the god "Osiris" to "Cyrus" in
                the
                > song "Origin of Love." This is what I was alluding to with
                regards
                > to popular understanding of "Gnosticism." Tommy managed to make
                his
                > stage name (Gnosis) a pop icon, even though he was still somewhat
                > ignorant of the actual meaning of the lyrics which Hedwig had
                > provided him. As a proponent of the importance of meaning, I
                suppose
                > that part of the film really stuck in my craw.
                >
                > Anyway, it was interesting to see PMCV's mention of Meat Loaf.
                I'm
                > sure he'll clarify if I read him incorrectly, but the reference
                might
                > have come from the fact that this film, like the Rocky Horror
                Picture
                > Show (in which Meat Loaf appeared), was also a campy production.
                He
                > might have also found a similarity in musical styles. In fact,
                Meat