QUESTIONS...

  • baphometh17
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 16, 2004
      Hello List!

      Greetings!

      I`m a new member of this Gnosticism Group.I`m Brazilian,Ilove
      music,magick,gnosticism,cinema,etc.

      I would like to ask some questions for you:

      1)Is Baphomet the same than the Lucifer and Lilith`s Union in only One
      God?Which are the differences between Lucifer and Baphometh?

      2)Would Baphometh have the same meaning that we find out in
      Hercules?(How could I invoke Baphometh?(Is He in Tiphareth or Binah)?)

      3)Would that old Christian´s mith of 'Fallen Angel' related to Lucifer
      in the Old Testament a one?!

      4)If Lucifer is a Roman God (Lucifero),Diana`s Brother in the Etruscan
      Mithology,why would He be a 'Fallen Angel' ?(It was 'created by'
      Judaism ,isn`t It?

      Thanks in advance!

      Ave Lvcifer!

      Baphometh.
    • elmoreb
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 17, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "baphometh17" <baphometh17@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello List!
        >
        > Greetings!
        >
        > I`m a new member of this Gnosticism Group.I`m Brazilian,Ilove
        > music,magick,gnosticism,cinema,etc.
        >
        > I would like to ask some questions for you:
        >
        > 1)Is Baphomet the same than the Lucifer and Lilith`s Union in only
        One
        > God?Which are the differences between Lucifer and Baphometh?
        >
        > 2)Would Baphometh have the same meaning that we find out in
        > Hercules?(How could I invoke Baphometh?(Is He in Tiphareth or
        Binah)?)

        > 3)Would that old Christian´s mith of 'Fallen Angel' related to
        Lucifer
        > in the Old Testament a one?!
        >
        > 4)If Lucifer is a Roman God (Lucifero),Diana`s Brother in the
        Etruscan
        > Mithology,why would He be a 'Fallen Angel' ?(It was 'created by'
        > Judaism ,isn`t It?
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        >
        > Ave Lvcifer!
        >
        > Baphometh.

        This isnt meant to be rude, but this has nothing to do with
        gnosticism at all. More Paganism than anything. Baphomet and Lucifer
        have no place in traditional gnosticim. I really hope this isnt what
        people are calling "gnosticim" now. I think you want to look into
        the occult not Gnosticism. You are bit confused, my friend.

        Baphomet is the idol that the Knights Templar were accused of
        worshiping ( and then burned at the stake for on friday the 13th...
        the reason 13 is bad, as well as friday the 13th). His name is
        thought to have been made up of other abbreviations. The word its
        self means "Baptism of Wisdom", and the idol or diety has never been
        proven to even exist prior to this.

        In the 20th Century, Ordo Templi Orientis ( the organisation that
        set up Alister Crowley as thier British Section) "ressurected" the
        name and made it an occult icon.

        So Baphomet is a fairly new thing, and has very shaky foundations.

        As for question 3 & 4, I think you are asking if lucifer is the same
        as the fallen angel? That is the popular Christian belief. In the
        early days of the Church, alot of names from other cultures were
        absorbed. They dont necessarily refer to the same being, but one
        similar. Its hard to convert the masses without a few names being
        brought into the mix.
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 17, 2004
          Hello elmoreb

          On 11/17/04, you wrote:
          > Baphomet is the idol that the Knights Templar were accused of
          > worshiping ( and then burned at the stake for on friday the 13th...
          > the reason 13 is bad, as well as friday the 13th). His name is
          > thought to have been made up of other abbreviations. The word its
          > self means "Baptism of Wisdom", and the idol or diety has never been
          > proven to even exist prior to this.
          >
          > In the 20th Century, Ordo Templi Orientis ( the organisation that
          > set up Alister Crowley as thier British Section) "ressurected" the
          > name and made it an occult icon.
          >
          > So Baphomet is a fairly new thing, and has very shaky foundations.
          >
          > As for question 3 & 4, I think you are asking if lucifer is the same
          > as the fallen angel? That is the popular Christian belief. In the
          > early days of the Church, alot of names from other cultures were
          > absorbed. They dont necessarily refer to the same being, but one
          > similar. Its hard to convert the masses without a few names being
          > brought into the mix.

          The name was actually used in one of the illustrations in Eliphas
          Levi's book on Magic, so it dates only to the middle of the 19th
          century, at least in its revival. It was an illustration of the
          supposed Templar Baphomet, BTW. It has been so long since I read it
          I forget what Levi said, just that it was a defense of the Templars
          to my memory (which isn't all that good). Levi is fun to read, just
          take most of what he says with a grain of salt. His books on Magic
          and the "History of Magic' actually contradict each other, even in
          the theme of each book.

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 17, 2004
            Hello Baphometh.....

            >>>"1)Is Baphomet the same than the Lucifer and Lilith`s Union in
            only One God? Which are the differences between Lucifer and
            Baphometh?"<<<<

            To back what Eloreb and Mike said, this is an historical subject
            that is not technically within the scope of "Gnosticism". The first
            time the word "Lucifer" comes to us is when Jerome (the "translater"
            of the Latin "Vulgate") uses it to talk about the King of Babylon.
            The term does not appear in any good translation of the "Bible".
            Jerome was in a rhetoric war with a Bishop whose name was Lucifer,
            so it is no wonder he wrote this Bishop's name into his translation
            of the Bible.

            Baphomet, on the other hand, is a term that the Templars were
            accused of worhipping as an idol. It is just a Occitan perversion of
            the name "Muhammad". Eliphas Levi, much later, used the term to
            describe what he called a "Gnostic God" that never existed in
            Gnosticism. This comes from Eliphas' own ignorance of the origin of
            the word.

            To connect the two is to ignore the origin of both.

            >>>"2)Would Baphometh have the same meaning that we find out in
            Hercules?(How could I invoke Baphometh?(Is He in Tiphareth or
            Binah)?)"<<<<

            now you are mixing three completely unrelated terms. Baphomet, a
            medieval term meant to deal with Islam from a western understanding,
            Tiphareth abd Binah, terms from Kabbalah, and Gnosticism.

            >>>"3)Would that old Christian´s mith of 'Fallen Angel' related to
            Lucifer in the Old Testament a one?!"<<<<

            Only in more modern liturature.... as I said, the term "Lucifer" was
            a rhetorical addition.

            >>>"4)If Lucifer is a Roman God (Lucifero),Diana`s Brother in the
            Etruscan Mithology,why would He be a 'Fallen Angel' ?(It
            was 'created by' Judaism ,isn`t It?"<<<<

            This is one of the beefs I have had with Jungian thought. It finds
            it's way into Thelema, and into Samael Aun Woer as well. It sounds
            as if you are creating historical connections that are far from
            being demonstrated, and in some cases are genuinely false. We can
            NOT take supposed psychological motifs and assume historical
            interaction. Diana is not Etruscan, Lucifer is not a Roman God, and
            there is no Jewish mention of either. I DO understand that such
            connection have come up in comparative religion of the 1800s and
            early 1900s, but much of the connection has been proven false.

            Thelema, Kabbalah, Samael Aun Woer, Eliphas..... none of this is
            Gnosticism.

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 18, 2004

              > [....]
              > This is one of the beefs I have had with Jungian thought. It finds
              > it's way into Thelema, and into Samael Aun Woer as well. It sounds
              > as if you are creating historical connections that are far from
              > being demonstrated, and in some cases are genuinely false. We can
              > NOT take supposed psychological motifs and assume historical
              > interaction. Diana is not Etruscan, Lucifer is not a Roman God, and
              > there is no Jewish mention of either. I DO understand that such
              > connection have come up in comparative religion of the 1800s and
              > early 1900s, but much of the connection has been proven false.
              >
              > Thelema, Kabbalah, Samael Aun Woer, Eliphas..... none of this is
              > Gnosticism.
              >
              > PMCV

              So, in other words, you can't tell us how we might go about invoking
              our dark Lord? How 'bout any good documentaries or movie
              recommendations that might be instructional in that regard? ;-)

              Actually, since Baphometh mentioned being a fan of the cinema as
              well, it could be pointed out that we've discussed the Gnostic
              relevance of various films here as well. Among those, I still think
              that _The Truman Show_ came closest to portraying an individual faced
              with overcoming the archontic control of his existence. We've seen
              one aspect or another of Gnosticism represented in a number of films,
              but what would best capture the notion of The Ineffable? Viewing 90
              minutes of blank screen? I wonder how many of today's impatient,
              instant-gratification-seeking moviegoers would sit through THAT
              without starting a riot in the theater! LOL

              Along more of a platonic vein, I notice another movie airing tonight
              (8:00pm and 1:00am Eastern) on the Independent Film Channel. For
              anyone who hasn't seen it yet, you may get a kick out of _Hedwig and
              the Angry Inch_. Even Elmoreb's speculation on how people are
              interpreting "Gnosticism" in the popular culture these days can be
              seen in how Tommy Gnosis steals and unwittingly bastardizes the
              material which Hedwig imparted to him. If anyone out there is into
              the quasi-Gnostic musical genre, this one is terribly funny . . . as
              well as moving.

              Gerry
            • Annie
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 18, 2004
                Hi Gerry--

                your post reminded me of a conversation I had the other day with my honey.  we were talking about how devil and demiurge somehow have a symbiotic relationship, but possibly are 'twin brothers', based on the origins of the name of Saboath.  (not gnostic here, but still an interesting facet of the mythos of judaism, christianity, and gnosticism)

                the God movies starring George Burns and John Denver were quite funny, IMO, and I especially see a truth inherent in the title 'Oh God, You Devil'.  I think it was the last sequel, and if so, how appropriate, since that realization is the last one in the dualistic mind, after which follows the understandings of unity of spirit above the call of black and white.
                love~~annie

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 18, 2004
                  Hello Gerry

                  On 11/18/04, you wrote:

                  > Along more of a platonic vein, I notice another movie airing tonight
                  > (8:00pm and 1:00am Eastern) on the Independent Film Channel. For
                  > anyone who hasn't seen it yet, you may get a kick out of _Hedwig and
                  > the Angry Inch_. Even Elmoreb's speculation on how people are
                  > interpreting "Gnosticism" in the popular culture these days can be
                  > seen in how Tommy Gnosis steals and unwittingly bastardizes the
                  > material which Hedwig imparted to him. If anyone out there is into
                  > the quasi-Gnostic musical genre, this one is terribly funny . . . as
                  > well as moving.
                  >
                  > Gerry

                  Tommy Gnosis?

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 19, 2004
                    Damn right, Mike.... Tommy Gnosis is what Meatloaf would be if he
                    had any understanding of Platonism ;)

                    This is a pretty darn good movie. Low budget, and more
                    technically "Platonist" than "Gnostic".... but I have made no bones
                    about the fact that I am also perhaps more Platonist that Gnostic
                    anyway *hehe*. The music is cheesy, and skilled at the same time.

                    There are also sexual elements that I think the author meant on a
                    literal level, but could also be taken on a literary level. It made
                    me rethink my own influences and how practical applications could be
                    worked into it. That is one of the best reviews I could give for a
                    movie... believe me.

                    Second only to the Truman Show in what I think may be conciously
                    influenced by Gnostic thought.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 20, 2004
                      Hello pmcvflag

                      On 11/20/04, you wrote:

                      > Damn right, Mike.... Tommy Gnosis is what Meatloaf would be if he
                      > had any understanding of Platonism ;)
                      >
                      > This is a pretty darn good movie. Low budget, and more
                      > technically "Platonist" than "Gnostic".... but I have made no bones
                      > about the fact that I am also perhaps more Platonist that Gnostic
                      > anyway *hehe*. The music is cheesy, and skilled at the same time.
                      >
                      > There are also sexual elements that I think the author meant on a
                      > literal level, but could also be taken on a literary level. It made
                      > me rethink my own influences and how practical applications could be
                      > worked into it. That is one of the best reviews I could give for a
                      > movie... believe me.
                      >
                      > Second only to the Truman Show in what I think may be conciously
                      > influenced by Gnostic thought.

                      Meatloaf?

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 20, 2004
                        > Hello pmcvflag
                        >
                        > On 11/20/04, you wrote:
                        >

                        > > Damn right, Mike.... Tommy Gnosis is what Meatloaf would be if he
                        > > had any understanding of Platonism ;)
                        > >
                        > > This is a pretty darn good movie. Low budget, and more
                        > > technically "Platonist" than "Gnostic".... but I have made no
                        bones
                        > > about the fact that I am also perhaps more Platonist that Gnostic
                        > > anyway *hehe*. The music is cheesy, and skilled at the same time.
                        > >
                        > > There are also sexual elements that I think the author meant on a
                        > > literal level, but could also be taken on a literary level. It
                        made
                        > > me rethink my own influences and how practical applications could
                        be
                        > > worked into it. That is one of the best reviews I could give for a
                        > > movie... believe me.
                        > >
                        > > Second only to the Truman Show in what I think may be conciously
                        > > influenced by Gnostic thought.
                        >
                        > Meatloaf?
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > --
                        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                        Ah, now see, Mike,... shame on PMCV. He presented it wrong. One
                        just might think he meant the main course meat dish, eh? No way.

                        It should be: Meat Loaf.

                        http://www.meatloaf.net/

                        I know you just couldn't survive without this OT information. ;-)
                        Glad to oblige.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 20, 2004
                          Hello lady_caritas

                          On 11/20/04, you wrote:

                          >> Hello pmcvflag
                          >>
                          >> On 11/20/04, you wrote:
                          >>

                          >> Damn right, Mike.... Tommy Gnosis is what Meatloaf would be if he
                          >> had any understanding of Platonism ;)
                          >>
                          >> This is a pretty darn good movie. Low budget, and more
                          >> technically "Platonist" than "Gnostic".... but I have made no
                          > bones
                          >> > about the fact that I am also perhaps more Platonist that Gnostic
                          >> > anyway *hehe*. The music is cheesy, and skilled at the same time.
                          >> >
                          >> > There are also sexual elements that I think the author meant on a
                          >> > literal level, but could also be taken on a literary level. It
                          > made
                          >> > me rethink my own influences and how practical applications could
                          > be
                          >> > worked into it. That is one of the best reviews I could give for
                          >> > a movie... believe me.
                          >> >
                          >> > Second only to the Truman Show in what I think may be conciously
                          >> > influenced by Gnostic thought.
                          >>
                          >> Meatloaf?
                          >>
                          >> Regards
                          >> --
                          >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                          >

                          > Ah, now see, Mike,... shame on PMCV. He presented it wrong. One
                          > just might think he meant the main course meat dish, eh? No way.
                          >
                          > It should be: Meat Loaf.
                          >
                          > http://www.meatloaf.net/
                          >
                          > I know you just couldn't survive without this OT information. ;-)
                          > Glad to oblige.
                          >
                          > Cari

                          Alll In The Family? Archie Bunker, et al?

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 20, 2004
                            > Hello lady_caritas
                            >
                            > On 11/20/04, you wrote:
                            >

                            > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
                            wrote:
                            > >> Hello pmcvflag
                            > >>
                            > >> On 11/20/04, you wrote:
                            > >>

                            > >> Damn right, Mike.... Tommy Gnosis is what Meatloaf would be if
                            he
                            > >> had any understanding of Platonism ;)
                            > >>
                            > >> This is a pretty darn good movie. Low budget, and more
                            > >> technically "Platonist" than "Gnostic".... but I have made no
                            > > bones
                            Gnostic

                            > > made
                            > > be

                            > >> Meatloaf?
                            > >>
                            > >> Regards
                            > >> --
                            > >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                            > >

                            > > Ah, now see, Mike,... shame on PMCV. He presented it wrong. One
                            > > just might think he meant the main course meat dish, eh? No
                            way.

                            > > It should be: Meat Loaf.
                            > >
                            > > http://www.meatloaf.net/
                            > >
                            > > I know you just couldn't survive without this OT information. ;-
                            )
                            > > Glad to oblige.
                            > >
                            > > Cari
                            >
                            > Alll In The Family? Archie Bunker, et al?
                            >
                            > Regards
                            > --
                            > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                            Um, no, dear. That would be "Meathead." Now, why do I think you
                            already know that... ;-)

                            http://www.tvland.com/shows/aitf/actor4.jhtml

                            Archie Bunker *was* a character, quite the outrageous bigot. He had
                            some interesing thoughts on religion though:

                            "God don't make no mistakes - that's how he got to be God."

                            "It ain't supposed to make sense; it's faith. Faith is something that
                            you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."

                            ( http://www.ariga.com/frosties/bunkerarchie.shtml )

                            Cari
                          • annie
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 20, 2004
                              Paradise by the dashboard light?   ;o)
                              love from annie

                              Mike Leavitt  ac998@...

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004
                                Hello lady_caritas

                                On 11/21/04, you wrote:

                                >> Hello lady_caritas
                                >>
                                >> On 11/20/04, you wrote:
                                >>

                                >>> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>

                                > he

                                >>> bones
                                > Gnostic
                                > time.

                                > on a
                                >>> made
                                > could
                                >>> be
                                > for

                                > conciously

                                >> > Ah, now see, Mike,... shame on PMCV. He presented it wrong. One
                                >> > just might think he meant the main course meat dish, eh? No
                                > way.
                                >> >
                                >> > It should be: Meat Loaf.
                                >> >
                                >> > http://www.meatloaf.net/
                                >> >
                                >> > I know you just couldn't survive without this OT information. ;-
                                > )
                                >>> Glad to oblige.
                                >>>
                                >>> Cari
                                >>
                                >> Alll In The Family? Archie Bunker, et al?
                                >>
                                >> Regards
                                >> --
                                >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                                >

                                > Um, no, dear. That would be "Meathead." Now, why do I think you
                                > already know that... ;-)
                                >
                                > http://www.tvland.com/shows/aitf/actor4.jhtml
                                >

                                > Archie Bunker *was* a character, quite the outrageous bigot. He had
                                > some interesing thoughts on religion though:
                                >
                                > "God don't make no mistakes - that's how he got to be God."
                                >
                                > "It ain't supposed to make sense; it's faith. Faith is something
                                > that you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."
                                >
                                > ( http://www.ariga.com/frosties/bunkerarchie.shtml )
                                >

                                > Cari

                                The meat loaf site locked up my first browser, and just gave me his
                                picture and large black areas on the other two, so while you were
                                right about meathead, I still don't know who meatloaf was. I sent
                                the link to work to look at it in IE, and I guess that will make the
                                site work so I will then know who he was. He looks like Jeb
                                Clampet's son in The Beverly Hillbillies, but....

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004

                                  > The meat loaf site locked up my first browser, and just gave me his
                                  > picture and large black areas on the other two, so while you were
                                  > right about meathead, I still don't know who meatloaf was. I sent
                                  > the link to work to look at it in IE, and I guess that will make the
                                  > site work so I will then know who he was. He looks like Jeb
                                  > Clampet's son in The Beverly Hillbillies, but....
                                  >
                                  > Regards
                                  > --
                                  > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                                  Gosh, sorry about that, Mike. Actually, if you want, you could just
                                  plug "Meat Loaf" in a search engine. (That other one was just a fan
                                  club.) There are many more sites, and you might find one that will
                                  open properly in your browser.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004

                                    > The meat loaf site locked up my first browser, and just gave me his
                                    > picture and large black areas on the other two, so while you were
                                    > right about meathead, I still don't know who meatloaf was. I sent
                                    > the link to work to look at it in IE, and I guess that will make the
                                    > site work so I will then know who he was. He looks like Jeb
                                    > Clampet's son in The Beverly Hillbillies, but....
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    > --
                                    > Mike Leavitt

                                    Geeez, Mike, you must have been pretty busy since the 70's . . . ,
                                    but if "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" and the _Rocky Horror Picture
                                    Show_ don't ring any bells for you, then Cari's link may not help you
                                    anyway.

                                    Going back to the beginning, here's a very brief plot outline for the
                                    movie I mentioned earlier:

                                    "A transexual punk rock girl from East Berlin tours the US with her
                                    rock band as she tells her life story and follows [i.e. "stalks"] the
                                    ex-boyfriend/bandmate who stole her songs."
                                    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248845/

                                    The "ex-boyfriend" there is a reference to the character of Tommy
                                    Gnosis, whom I described previously as stealing and bastardizing
                                    Hedwig's music. There is a point in the film where the protagonist
                                    realizes not only that Tommy has abandoned her in pursuit of his own
                                    stardom, but that he isn't fully aware of the meaning of the lyrics,
                                    for example, changing the name of the god "Osiris" to "Cyrus" in the
                                    song "Origin of Love." This is what I was alluding to with regards
                                    to popular understanding of "Gnosticism." Tommy managed to make his
                                    stage name (Gnosis) a pop icon, even though he was still somewhat
                                    ignorant of the actual meaning of the lyrics which Hedwig had
                                    provided him. As a proponent of the importance of meaning, I suppose
                                    that part of the film really stuck in my craw.

                                    Anyway, it was interesting to see PMCV's mention of Meat Loaf. I'm
                                    sure he'll clarify if I read him incorrectly, but the reference might
                                    have come from the fact that this film, like the Rocky Horror Picture
                                    Show (in which Meat Loaf appeared), was also a campy production. He
                                    might have also found a similarity in musical styles. In fact, Meat
                                    Loaf had considered performing a couple songs from the "Hedwig"
                                    soundtrack on an album he was working on at the time, but ended up
                                    not having enough room, if I recall correctly.

                                    For the record, "campy" is not to be taken as a disparaging comment
                                    above. On the contrary, I think it lends to the endearing humor of
                                    the film, which also conveys the profound story of an individual's
                                    quest for "wholeness." As I said earlier, the movie was both funny
                                    and moving——or——as PMCV described the music, it was
                                    simultaneously "cheesy" and "skilled." Absolutely, and the genius
                                    that was responsible for that lay in the talent of John Cameron
                                    Mitchell and Stephen Trask, the latter supplying not only the musical
                                    score for the production, but the vocals for Tommy Gnosis as well.

                                    Honestly, even if I hadn't appreciated the movie for its
                                    philosophical merit, I'd probably still recommend it to friends just
                                    for the dialogue and visuals . . . especially in the Gummi-Bärchen
                                    scene . . . or perhaps for any of the references to young Hedwig
                                    (Hansel) having to play in the oven! ;-)

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004

                                      > "It ain't supposed to make sense; it's faith. Faith is something
                                      > that you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."
                                      >
                                      > ( http://www.ariga.com/frosties/bunkerarchie.shtml )
                                      >

                                      > Cari

                                      If it will show you the fog I've been in lately, I really couldn't
                                      figure out what any of this had to do with the Old Testament, or as
                                      you put it, "this OT information." While I think I finally figured
                                      that one out, I would probably have never made the potential
                                      connection between what PMCV wrote and _All in the Family_. I think
                                      I'm catching up all around now!

                                      I had previously enjoyed Archie's adage, "Patience is a virgin," but
                                      the quote you reminded us above concerning "faith" is my new favorite.
                                      ;-)

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004
                                        Hello lady_caritas

                                        On 11/22/04, you wrote:

                                        >> The meat loaf site locked up my first browser, and just gave me his
                                        >> picture and large black areas on the other two, so while you were
                                        >> right about meathead, I still don't know who meatloaf was. I sent
                                        >> the link to work to look at it in IE, and I guess that will make
                                        >> the site work so I will then know who he was. He looks like Jeb
                                        >> Clampet's son in The Beverly Hillbillies, but....
                                        >>
                                        >> Regards
                                        >> --
                                        >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                                        >

                                        > Gosh, sorry about that, Mike. Actually, if you want, you could just
                                        > plug "Meat Loaf" in a search engine. (That other one was just a fan
                                        > club.) There are many more sites, and you might find one that will
                                        > open properly in your browser.
                                        >

                                        > Cari

                                        I'm not so anxious to know that I can't wait until tomorro, had I
                                        really wanted to know sooner, I could have forwarded it to the wife,
                                        she uses foxfire and has IE if it wouldn't work.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004
                                          Hello Gerry

                                          On 11/22/04, you wrote:

> [...]
                                          > production. He might have also found a similarity in musical styles.
                                          > In fact, Meat Loaf had considered performing a couple songs from the
                                          > "Hedwig" soundtrack on an album he was working on at the time, but
                                          > ended up not having enough room, if I recall correctly.
                                          >
                                          > For the record, "campy" is not to be taken as a disparaging comment
                                          > above. On the contrary, I think it lends to the endearing humor of
                                          > the film, which also conveys the profound story of an individual's
                                          > quest for "wholeness." As I said earlier, the movie was both funny
                                          > and moving
                                          >
                                          > Honestly, even if I hadn't appreciated the movie for its
                                          > philosophical merit, I'd probably still recommend it to friends just
                                          > for the dialogue and visuals . . . especially in the Gummi-Bärchen
                                          > scene . . . or perhaps for any of the references to young Hedwig
                                          > (Hansel) having to play in the oven! ;-)

                                          My only memeory of the Rocky Horror thing was watching people line up
                                          outside this theater that played it for five years straight. I was
                                          never into the underground movie thing and never saw it, and never
                                          cared to. Oh well, different strokes....

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004
                                            Hello annie

                                            On 11/22/04, you wrote:

                                            > If you don't mind me asking, Mike, how old are you? Just curious
                                            > related to the mystery of Meat Loaf. love~from~annie

                                            58, and given the associations of this character I would know if I had
                                            ever had the slightest interest in the underground movie scene.

                                          • annie
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004

                                                > My only memeory of the Rocky Horror thing was watching people line
                                                > up outside this theater that played it for five years straight. I
                                                > was never into the underground movie thing and never saw it, and
                                                > never cared to. Oh well, different strokes....
                                                >
                                                > Regards
                                                > --
                                                > Mike Leavitt

                                                Same here, Mike. I wouldn't have any familiarity with the RHPS
                                                phenomenon if it hadn't been for my sister and a couple friends who
                                                braved the lines. His song DID get a lot of airtime back then
                                                though, and I listened to a lot of radio at the time.

                                                It's just a darned shame that something like "Hedwig" wasn't released
                                                back then instead. For those of us here who weren't schooled in the
                                                ways of neo-platonism and Gnostic thought at an early age, a film
                                                like that might have been quite a timesaver.

                                                Again, the question might center around how much good can come out of
                                                the popular presentation of such subjects. We can suppose that there
                                                would be some out there who would discover Plato's _Symposium_ as a
                                                result of a production like that, so surely that could be a good
                                                thing——especially if they otherwise found the Classics to be too
                                                stodgy. At the same time, now that so much of this formerly obscure
                                                material is readily available on the shelves of Anytown's bookstore,
                                                it's scary to think how many people might misinterpret the meaning of
                                                such things as making the inner like the outer, and making male and
                                                female into a single one, etc. It ain't about gettin' a sex change.

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 22, 2004
                                                  > Hello lady_caritas
                                                  >
                                                  > On 11/22/04, you wrote:
                                                  >

                                                  > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > >> The meat loaf site locked up my first browser, and just gave me
                                                  his
                                                  > >> picture and large black areas on the other two, so while you were
                                                  > >> right about meathead, I still don't know who meatloaf was. I sent
                                                  > >> the link to work to look at it in IE, and I guess that will make
                                                  > >> the site work so I will then know who he was. He looks like Jeb
                                                  > >> Clampet's son in The Beverly Hillbillies, but....
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> Regards
                                                  > >> --
                                                  > >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                                                  > >

                                                  > > Gosh, sorry about that, Mike. Actually, if you want, you could
                                                  just
                                                  > > plug "Meat Loaf" in a search engine. (That other one was just a
                                                  fan
                                                  > > club.) There are many more sites, and you might find one that will
                                                  > > open properly in your browser.
                                                  > >

                                                  > > Cari
                                                  >
                                                  > I'm not so anxious to know that I can't wait until tomorro, had I
                                                  > really wanted to know sooner, I could have forwarded it to the wife,
                                                  > she uses foxfire and has IE if it wouldn't work.
                                                  >
                                                  > Regards
                                                  > --
                                                  > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                                                  Well, in any case, this following link might be a bit more
                                                  informative than the other one:

                                                  ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001533/ )

                                                  *bio*: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001533/bio

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 22, 2004
                                                    Hello Gerry

                                                    On 11/22/04, you wrote:

                                                    >> My only memeory of the Rocky Horror thing was watching people line
                                                    >> up outside this theater that played it for five years straight. I
                                                    >> was never into the underground movie thing and never saw it, and
                                                    >> never cared to. Oh well, different strokes....
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Regards
                                                    >> --
                                                    >> Mike Leavitt
                                                    >

                                                    > Same here, Mike. I wouldn't have any familiarity with the RHPS
                                                    > phenomenon if it hadn't been for my sister and a couple friends who
                                                    > braved the lines. His song DID get a lot of airtime back then
                                                    > though, and I listened to a lot of radio at the time.
                                                    >
                                                    > It's just a darned shame that something like "Hedwig" wasn't
                                                    > released back then instead. For those of us here who weren't
                                                    > schooled in the ways of neo-platonism and Gnostic thought at an
                                                    > early age, a film like that might have been quite a timesaver.
                                                    >
                                                    > Again, the question might center around how much good can come out
                                                    > of the popular presentation of such subjects. We can suppose that
                                                    > there would be some out there who would discover Plato's _Symposium_
                                                    > as a result of a production like that, so surely that could be a
                                                    > good thing
                                                    >
                                                    > Gerry

                                                    Gee you're right, let the trans-gender people get hold of it
                                                    and....:-)

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 22, 2004
                                                      Hello lady_caritas

                                                      On 11/22/04, you wrote:

                                                      >> Hello lady_caritas
                                                      >>
                                                      >> On 11/22/04, you wrote:
                                                      >>

                                                      >>> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>

                                                      > his

                                                      >>> Gosh, sorry about that, Mike. Actually, if you want, you could
                                                      > just
                                                      >>> plug "Meat Loaf" in a search engine. (That other one was just a
                                                      > fan
                                                      >> > club.) There are many more sites, and you might find one that
                                                      >> > will open properly in your browser.
                                                      >> >

                                                      >> > Cari
                                                      >>
                                                      >> I'm not so anxious to know that I can't wait until tomorro, had I
                                                      >> really wanted to know sooner, I could have forwarded it to the
                                                      >> wife, she uses foxfire and has IE if it wouldn't work.
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Regards
                                                      >> --
                                                      >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                                                      >

                                                      > Well, in any case, this following link might be a bit more
                                                      > informative than the other one:
                                                      >
                                                      > ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001533/ )
                                                      >
                                                      > *bio*: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001533/bio

                                                      Yes, very informative. I had heard the name, but that was about it.
                                                      I'm a bit surprised I didn't know who he was, even with my general
                                                      disinterest in what he did.

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 22, 2004
                                                        Oh, yes, yes, Gerry, that is exactly what I meant... I mean, the
                                                        musical style, compared to what we are often used to hearing in Meat
                                                        Loaf, is so similar. To me, Meat Loaf sounds like he belongs in
                                                        musical theatre (though I don't know enough about him to know if he
                                                        was involved with this genre outside of Rocky Horror)

                                                        More to the point, I think the people from our group here will
                                                        pretty quickly pick out the Platonist connections. I keep thinking I
                                                        will take a second look at it myself.