Re: Broadening one's sense of community

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2004
      Hello Gerry

      On 11/12/04, you wrote:

      > Over the years, some of us have forged meaningful friendships via
      > the Internet, but as convenient as that instantaneous, worldwide
      > connection may be, it's also nice to actually get together with
      > kindred spirits and have these sorts of discussions IRL. Of course,
      > for those of us who live in areas that don't tend to attract
      > multitudes of a Gnostic persuasion (or at least enough to form a
      > congregation here and there!), it's nice to have help in locating
      > someone in our own neck of the woods with whom we can get together
      > for coffee once in a while . . . and talk shop, gnostically
      > speaking.
      >
      > Without digging back through the archived messages, I'd have to
      > guess that it was well over a couple years ago that someone left a
      > link here with that very goal in mind:
      >
      > http://gnostic.meetup.com/
      >
      > When I first browsed that site, prospects looked pretty bleak for
      > the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states, but I think the Word has
      > gotten out. At least, the word "Gnosticism" seems to be gaining a
      > wider audience these days. That's not always a good thing, though,
      > as an increased popular "awareness" may involve an increasingly
      > "popular" understanding of the term. As always, a little critical
      > thinking goes a long way, so if you can avoid joining a coven or
      > getting indoctrinated into someone's cult, you may just find someone
      > interested in ol' fashioned Gnosticism. :-)
      >
      > Gerry

      OK, finally here is your original message time marked for a bit after
      4:00 am on 11/12/04. Go figure.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2004
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 11/12/04, you wrote:

        > My link still has not shown up, and I don't see yours either, Gerry.
        > Maybe tomorrow morning. We may have some glitches going on again. If
        > anyone here finds they posted but it did not show up, please don't
        > blame us.... it really does happen that things just disappear.
        >
        > PMCV

        Or get delayed, like Gerry's original message in this thread did here.
        Let's hope it is the latter.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 12, 2004

          > All of them appeared a bit far away, even the L.A. one was billed as
          > Hollywood-East L.A. And I commented about the Palmdale one billed
          as
          > San Fernando Valley -- not. So I really don't need access to that
          > information.
          >
          > Regards
          > --
          > Mike Leavitt

          Ahh, I see. Of course, one of the new features they've implemented
          at that site is greater flexibility in designating specific meeting
          places for each group, which could be either inside or outside of the
          group's specific location . . . if that makes sense. "Out of town,"
          in other words. Another option is that members can choose to add
          cities, or, in very large cities where transportation may be
          difficult, set up different groups or differnt meeting dates and
          times to accommodate more individuals.

          That looks kinda like Hoeller's approach again. Build the group, and
          let the people find YOU. I still don't think it would work in THIS
          remote region, but maybe one day.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 12, 2004
            Hello Gerry

            On 11/12/04, you wrote:

            >> All of them appeared a bit far away, even the L.A. one was billed
            >> as Hollywood-East L.A. And I commented about the Palmdale one
            >> billed
            > as
            >> San Fernando Valley -- not. So I really don't need access to that
            >> information.
            >>
            >> Regards
            >> --
            >> Mike Leavitt
            >

            > Ahh, I see. Of course, one of the new features they've implemented
            > at that site is greater flexibility in designating specific meeting
            > places for each group, which could be either inside or outside of
            > the group's specific location . . . if that makes sense. "Out of
            > town," in other words. Another option is that members can choose to
            > add cities, or, in very large cities where transportation may be
            > difficult, set up different groups or differnt meeting dates and
            > times to accommodate more individuals.
            >
            > That looks kinda like Hoeller's approach again. Build the group, and
            > let the people find YOU. I still don't think it would work in THIS
            > remote region, but maybe one day.
            >
            > Gerry

            And it may not work in Palmdale, out in the middle of the desert
            bordering on San Bernardino County. It ain't very close to the San
            Fernando Valley, that's for sure.