Re: Broadening one's sense of community

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 11, 2004
      Hello pmcvflag

      On 11/12/04, you wrote:

      > Hey, great link, Gerry.... we should have it in our link section
      > also.
      >
      > PMCV
      >
      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...> wrote:
      >>

      >> Over the years, some of us have forged meaningful friendships via
      >> the
      >> Internet, but as convenient as that instantaneous, worldwide
      >> connection may be, it's also nice to actually get together with
      >> kindred spirits and have these sorts of discussions IRL. Of
      >> course,
      >> for those of us who live in areas that don't tend to attract
      >> multitudes of a Gnostic persuasion (or at least enough to form a
      >> congregation here and there!), it's nice to have help in locating
      >> someone in our own neck of the woods with whom we can get together
      >> for coffee once in a while . . . and talk shop, gnostically
      >> speaking.
      >>
      >> Without digging back through the archived messages, I'd have to
      >> guess
      >> that it was well over a couple years ago that someone left a link
      >> here with that very goal in mind:
      >>
      >> http://gnostic.meetup.com/
      >>
      >> When I first browsed that site, prospects looked pretty bleak for
      >> the
      >> Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states, but I think the Word has gotten
      >> out. At least, the word "Gnosticism" seems to be gaining a wider
      >> audience these days. That's not always a good thing, though, as
      >> an increased popular "awareness" may involve an
      >> increasingly "popular"
      >> understanding of the term. As always, a little critical thinking
      >> goes a long way, so if you can avoid joining a coven or getting
      >> indoctrinated into someone's cult, you may just find someone
      >> interested in ol' fashioned Gnosticism. :-)
      >>
      >> Gerry

      I never got Gerry's original message, so I'm glad you quoted the whole
      thing. I notice the Phoenix group needs an organizer. :-) The one
      in L.A. has three members, the one in Palmdale (an hour and a half's
      drive, at 5:00 PM about two) has one. Maybe Ecclesia Gnostica needs
      to set one up, we get an average of 25 on Sundays, more on Friday
      night Gnostic Society lectures. Couldn't find much about where in
      the city in question they were held though. Maybe I'm missing a link
      somewhere.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 11, 2004

        > I never got Gerry's original message, so I'm glad you quoted the
        whole
        > thing. I notice the Phoenix group needs an organizer. :-) The one
        > in L.A. has three members, the one in Palmdale (an hour and a half's
        > drive, at 5:00 PM about two) has one. Maybe Ecclesia Gnostica needs
        > to set one up, we get an average of 25 on Sundays, more on Friday
        > night Gnostic Society lectures. Couldn't find much about where in
        > the city in question they were held though. Maybe I'm missing a
        link
        > somewhere.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt

        Now Mike Leavitt . . . you take me off your "ignore list" this
        instant, ya hear? ;-)

        Seriously, I don't know why that previous message missed you, but I'm
        experiencing glitches between Yahoo and my own PC lately. It's well
        past my bedtime and I've already had to reboot a few times just to
        finish checking messages. This technology can be our friend, or it
        can be teh sukc (in the vernacular of the hip kids).

        Anyway, I noticed that my own addition to the Links showed up, but
        I'm scared to check on PMCV's. The less things I click right now,
        the better.

        As for the meeting venues, did you actually join the groups you were
        checking on? If not, I don't think that you'll have access to that
        information.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 11, 2004
          My link still has not shown up, and I don't see yours either, Gerry.
          Maybe tomorrow morning. We may have some glitches going on again. If
          anyone here finds they posted but it did not show up, please don't
          blame us.... it really does happen that things just disappear.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 12, 2004
            Hello Gerry

            On 11/12/04, you wrote:

            >> I never got Gerry's original message, so I'm glad you quoted the
            > whole
            >> thing. I notice the Phoenix group needs an organizer. :-) The one
            >> in L.A. has three members, the one in Palmdale (an hour and a
            >> half's drive, at 5:00 PM about two) has one. Maybe Ecclesia
            >> Gnostica needs to set one up, we get an average of 25 on Sundays,
            >> more on Friday night Gnostic Society lectures. Couldn't find much
            >> about where in the city in question they were held though. Maybe
            >> I'm missing a
            > link
            >> somewhere.
            >>
            >> Regards
            >> --
            >> Mike Leavitt
            >

            > Now Mike Leavitt . . . you take me off your "ignore list" this
            > instant, ya hear? ;-)
            >
            > Seriously, I don't know why that previous message missed you, but
            > I'm experiencing glitches between Yahoo and my own PC lately. It's
            > well past my bedtime and I've already had to reboot a few times just
            > to finish checking messages. This technology can be our friend, or
            > it can be teh sukc (in the vernacular of the hip kids).
            >
            > Anyway, I noticed that my own addition to the Links showed up, but
            > I'm scared to check on PMCV's. The less things I click right now,
            > the better.
            >
            > As for the meeting venues, did you actually join the groups you were
            > checking on? If not, I don't think that you'll have access to that
            > information.
            >
            > Gerry

            All of them appeared a bit far away, even the L.A. one was billed as
            Hollywood-East L.A. And I commented about the Palmdale one billed as
            San Fernando Valley -- not. So I really don't need access to that
            information.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2004
              Hello Gerry

              On 11/12/04, you wrote:

              > Over the years, some of us have forged meaningful friendships via
              > the Internet, but as convenient as that instantaneous, worldwide
              > connection may be, it's also nice to actually get together with
              > kindred spirits and have these sorts of discussions IRL. Of course,
              > for those of us who live in areas that don't tend to attract
              > multitudes of a Gnostic persuasion (or at least enough to form a
              > congregation here and there!), it's nice to have help in locating
              > someone in our own neck of the woods with whom we can get together
              > for coffee once in a while . . . and talk shop, gnostically
              > speaking.
              >
              > Without digging back through the archived messages, I'd have to
              > guess that it was well over a couple years ago that someone left a
              > link here with that very goal in mind:
              >
              > http://gnostic.meetup.com/
              >
              > When I first browsed that site, prospects looked pretty bleak for
              > the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states, but I think the Word has
              > gotten out. At least, the word "Gnosticism" seems to be gaining a
              > wider audience these days. That's not always a good thing, though,
              > as an increased popular "awareness" may involve an increasingly
              > "popular" understanding of the term. As always, a little critical
              > thinking goes a long way, so if you can avoid joining a coven or
              > getting indoctrinated into someone's cult, you may just find someone
              > interested in ol' fashioned Gnosticism. :-)
              >
              > Gerry

              OK, finally here is your original message time marked for a bit after
              4:00 am on 11/12/04. Go figure.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2004
                Hello pmcvflag

                On 11/12/04, you wrote:

                > My link still has not shown up, and I don't see yours either, Gerry.
                > Maybe tomorrow morning. We may have some glitches going on again. If
                > anyone here finds they posted but it did not show up, please don't
                > blame us.... it really does happen that things just disappear.
                >
                > PMCV

                Or get delayed, like Gerry's original message in this thread did here.
                Let's hope it is the latter.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 12, 2004

                  > All of them appeared a bit far away, even the L.A. one was billed as
                  > Hollywood-East L.A. And I commented about the Palmdale one billed
                  as
                  > San Fernando Valley -- not. So I really don't need access to that
                  > information.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > --
                  > Mike Leavitt

                  Ahh, I see. Of course, one of the new features they've implemented
                  at that site is greater flexibility in designating specific meeting
                  places for each group, which could be either inside or outside of the
                  group's specific location . . . if that makes sense. "Out of town,"
                  in other words. Another option is that members can choose to add
                  cities, or, in very large cities where transportation may be
                  difficult, set up different groups or differnt meeting dates and
                  times to accommodate more individuals.

                  That looks kinda like Hoeller's approach again. Build the group, and
                  let the people find YOU. I still don't think it would work in THIS
                  remote region, but maybe one day.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2004
                    Hello Gerry

                    On 11/12/04, you wrote:

                    >> All of them appeared a bit far away, even the L.A. one was billed
                    >> as Hollywood-East L.A. And I commented about the Palmdale one
                    >> billed
                    > as
                    >> San Fernando Valley -- not. So I really don't need access to that
                    >> information.
                    >>
                    >> Regards
                    >> --
                    >> Mike Leavitt
                    >

                    > Ahh, I see. Of course, one of the new features they've implemented
                    > at that site is greater flexibility in designating specific meeting
                    > places for each group, which could be either inside or outside of
                    > the group's specific location . . . if that makes sense. "Out of
                    > town," in other words. Another option is that members can choose to
                    > add cities, or, in very large cities where transportation may be
                    > difficult, set up different groups or differnt meeting dates and
                    > times to accommodate more individuals.
                    >
                    > That looks kinda like Hoeller's approach again. Build the group, and
                    > let the people find YOU. I still don't think it would work in THIS
                    > remote region, but maybe one day.
                    >
                    > Gerry

                    And it may not work in Palmdale, out in the middle of the desert
                    bordering on San Bernardino County. It ain't very close to the San
                    Fernando Valley, that's for sure.