Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: FAQs

  • Annie
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 1998
      Hi Cari--

      that was what I was imagining when I made my suggestion about literature--mainly links to where the texts could be found, kind of like a focused reading list as an answer to a question.

      That would save both work for you and also make it more likely 'seekers' will find places to help them with finding their own answers rather than finding the answers of/for others.  The actual process would help demonstrate the idea of gnosis, too, wouldn't it?

      love
      annie
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
        > Hello lady_caritas
        >
        > On 10/30/04, you wrote:
        >

        > > Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be
        sure,
        > > these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
        > > suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
        > > descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
        > > but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within
        > > page for FAQs.
        > >

        > > We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!
        > >
        > > Cari
        >
        > How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the
        same
        > being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different beings.
        If
        > so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

        Thanks, Mike. We could get a few questions out of that, eh?
        Certainly germane to Gnosticism is discussion of the demiurge.

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
          Hello lady_caritas

          On 11/01/04, you wrote:

          >> Hello lady_caritas
          >>
          >> On 10/30/04, you wrote:
          >>

          >>> Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be
          > sure,
          >> > these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
          >> > suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
          >> > descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
          >> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
          >> > but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within
          >> > page for FAQs.
          >> >

          >> > We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!
          >> >
          >> > Cari
          >>
          >> How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the
          > same
          >> being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different beings.
          > If
          >> so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?
          >>
          >> Regards
          >> --
          >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

          It is actually something I have though a lot about, with no answer, of
          course.

        • janahooks
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Annie" <annielu38@z...> wrote:
            > I think a basic reading list would be good, possibly listed in a
            more or less sequential order, from introductory texts progressing to
            more involved reading. Maybe some of the new alongside the ancient,
            relative to topic, in order to facilitate understanding of the older
            writings.

            I was thinking along those lines as well--maybe organizing the NH in
            a way that would help the beginner. I like the idea of having new
            writings with the old. Also, (this might be too huge an undertaking)
            I'd like to see some of the gnostic "sects" defined as far as what
            they believed (believe) and maybe what texts are associated with them.

            jana

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > Will you help a needy child?
            > · It only costs .60¢ a day · It's
            easier than you think.
            > · Click here to meet a waiting
            child you can sponsor now.

            Service.
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
              > Hello lady_caritas
              >
              > On 11/01/04, you wrote:
              >

              > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
              wrote:

              > > sure,

              Thanks!!

              > >> How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the
              > > same
              > >> being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different
              beings.
              > > If
              > >> so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?
              > >>
              > >> Regards
              > >> --
              > >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
              >
              > It is actually something I have though a lot about, with no answer,
              of
              > course.
              >
              > Regards
              > --
              > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

              That is a tough one, Mike. Historically, we see various treatments
              of the demiurge. We've had discussion on that, of course. Probably
              at most we could pose some of these questions and offer some
              alternative possibilities.

              That's why I like having this forum to sort through things. I see an
              FAQ page as primarily a beginning, an elementary basis for further
              discussion. I believe care should be taken to represent historical
              Gnostic thought, but not to slip into a realm of dogmatic answers.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004