Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: FAQs

  • Annie
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 1998
      Hi Cari--

      that was what I was imagining when I made my suggestion about literature--mainly links to where the texts could be found, kind of like a focused reading list as an answer to a question.

      That would save both work for you and also make it more likely 'seekers' will find places to help them with finding their own answers rather than finding the answers of/for others.  The actual process would help demonstrate the idea of gnosis, too, wouldn't it?

      love
      annie
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
        I think a basic reading list would be good, possibly listed in a more or less sequential order, from introductory texts progressing to more involved reading.  Maybe some of the new alongside the ancient, relative to topic, in order to facilitate understanding of the older writings.

        Also an explanation of the difference between 'gnosticism' and 'gnosis' would likely be helpful.

        love
        annie

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 30, 2004
          Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be sure,
          these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
          suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
          descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
          but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within a
          page for FAQs.

          We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!

          Cari

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 30, 2004
            Hello lady_caritas

            On 10/30/04, you wrote:

            > Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be sure,
            > these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
            > suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
            > descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
            > but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within a
            > page for FAQs.
            >

            > We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!
            >
            > Cari

            How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the same
            being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different beings. If
            so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?

          • Annie
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 30, 2004
              Hi Mike

              I know you might have meant this as a potential 'FAQ', but I had to share the thought that came instantly to mind:

              'Both exist, but only when they're looking at one another's image in the mirror.'

              course that answer goes in the personal lexicon, not FAQ's, lol

              love
              annie

              Mike Leavitt  ac998@...

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 30, 2004
                Hello Annie

                On 10/30/04, you wrote:

                > Hi Mike
                >
                > I know you might have meant this as a potential 'FAQ', but I had to
                > share the thought that came instantly to mind:
                >
                > 'Both exist, but only when they're looking at one another's image in
                > the mirror.'
                >
                > course that answer goes in the personal lexicon, not FAQ's, lol

                You have a point. :-) LOL

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
                  > Hello lady_caritas
                  >
                  > On 10/30/04, you wrote:
                  >

                  > > Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be
                  sure,
                  > > these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
                  > > suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
                  > > descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
                  > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
                  > > but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within
                  > > page for FAQs.
                  > >

                  > > We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!
                  > >
                  > > Cari
                  >
                  > How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the
                  same
                  > being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different beings.
                  If
                  > so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > --
                  > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                  Thanks, Mike. We could get a few questions out of that, eh?
                  Certainly germane to Gnosticism is discussion of the demiurge.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
                    Hello lady_caritas

                    On 11/01/04, you wrote:

                    >> Hello lady_caritas
                    >>
                    >> On 10/30/04, you wrote:
                    >>

                    >>> Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be
                    > sure,
                    >> > these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
                    >> > suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
                    >> > descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
                    >> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
                    >> > but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within
                    >> > page for FAQs.
                    >> >

                    >> > We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!
                    >> >
                    >> > Cari
                    >>
                    >> How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the
                    > same
                    >> being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different beings.
                    > If
                    >> so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?
                    >>
                    >> Regards
                    >> --
                    >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                    It is actually something I have though a lot about, with no answer, of
                    course.

                  • janahooks
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Annie" <annielu38@z...> wrote:
                      > I think a basic reading list would be good, possibly listed in a
                      more or less sequential order, from introductory texts progressing to
                      more involved reading. Maybe some of the new alongside the ancient,
                      relative to topic, in order to facilitate understanding of the older
                      writings.

                      I was thinking along those lines as well--maybe organizing the NH in
                      a way that would help the beginner. I like the idea of having new
                      writings with the old. Also, (this might be too huge an undertaking)
                      I'd like to see some of the gnostic "sects" defined as far as what
                      they believed (believe) and maybe what texts are associated with them.

                      jana

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > Will you help a needy child?
                      > · It only costs .60¢ a day · It's
                      easier than you think.
                      > · Click here to meet a waiting
                      child you can sponsor now.

                      Service.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
                        > Hello lady_caritas
                        >
                        > On 11/01/04, you wrote:
                        >

                        > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
                        wrote:

                        > > sure,

                        Thanks!!

                        > >> How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the
                        > > same
                        > >> being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different
                        beings.
                        > > If
                        > >> so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?
                        > >>
                        > >> Regards
                        > >> --
                        > >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                        >
                        > It is actually something I have though a lot about, with no answer,
                        of
                        > course.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > --
                        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                        That is a tough one, Mike. Historically, we see various treatments
                        of the demiurge. We've had discussion on that, of course. Probably
                        at most we could pose some of these questions and offer some
                        alternative possibilities.

                        That's why I like having this forum to sort through things. I see an
                        FAQ page as primarily a beginning, an elementary basis for further
                        discussion. I believe care should be taken to represent historical
                        Gnostic thought, but not to slip into a realm of dogmatic answers.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004