Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: FAQs

  • Annie
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 1998
      Hi Cari--

      that was what I was imagining when I made my suggestion about literature--mainly links to where the texts could be found, kind of like a focused reading list as an answer to a question.

      That would save both work for you and also make it more likely 'seekers' will find places to help them with finding their own answers rather than finding the answers of/for others.  The actual process would help demonstrate the idea of gnosis, too, wouldn't it?

      love
      annie
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 27, 2004
        Throughout the years, new members have joined, asking us questions,
        general and specific, about Gnosticism. We'd like to provide a page
        for frequently asked questions that members could make use of.

        In order to get a feel for what would be relevant to most, what does
        everyone here think would make a good list of FAQs? We'd appreciate
        your input!

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 27, 2004
          Yeah, we have really needed that for a long time. There are
          obviously questions that we deal with often. Perhaps this could be a
          useful addition to the group.

          c'mon club, tell us your thoughts.

          > Throughout the years, new members have joined, asking us
          questions,
          > general and specific, about Gnosticism. We'd like to provide a
          page
          > for frequently asked questions that members could make use of.
          >
          > In order to get a feel for what would be relevant to most, what
          does
          > everyone here think would make a good list of FAQs? We'd
          appreciate
          > your input!
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Cari
        • klausdieterdill
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > Throughout the years, new members have joined, asking us questions,
            > general and specific, about Gnosticism. We'd like to provide a page
            > for frequently asked questions that members could make use of.
            >
            > In order to get a feel for what would be relevant to most, what does
            > everyone here think would make a good list of FAQs? We'd appreciate
            > your input!
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Cari

            a good, all encompassing definition of gnosticism.
            dwain
          • Annie
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
              I think a basic reading list would be good, possibly listed in a more or less sequential order, from introductory texts progressing to more involved reading.  Maybe some of the new alongside the ancient, relative to topic, in order to facilitate understanding of the older writings.

              Also an explanation of the difference between 'gnosticism' and 'gnosis' would likely be helpful.

              love
              annie

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 30, 2004
                Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be sure,
                these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
                suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
                descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
                but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within a
                page for FAQs.

                We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!

                Cari

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 30, 2004
                  Hello lady_caritas

                  On 10/30/04, you wrote:

                  > Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be sure,
                  > these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
                  > suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
                  > descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
                  > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
                  > but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within a
                  > page for FAQs.
                  >

                  > We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!
                  >
                  > Cari

                  How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the same
                  being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different beings. If
                  so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?

                • Annie
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 30, 2004
                    Hi Mike

                    I know you might have meant this as a potential 'FAQ', but I had to share the thought that came instantly to mind:

                    'Both exist, but only when they're looking at one another's image in the mirror.'

                    course that answer goes in the personal lexicon, not FAQ's, lol

                    love
                    annie

                    Mike Leavitt  ac998@...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 30, 2004
                      Hello Annie

                      On 10/30/04, you wrote:

                      > Hi Mike
                      >
                      > I know you might have meant this as a potential 'FAQ', but I had to
                      > share the thought that came instantly to mind:
                      >
                      > 'Both exist, but only when they're looking at one another's image in
                      > the mirror.'
                      >
                      > course that answer goes in the personal lexicon, not FAQ's, lol

                      You have a point. :-) LOL

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
                        > Hello lady_caritas
                        >
                        > On 10/30/04, you wrote:
                        >

                        > > Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be
                        sure,
                        > > these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
                        > > suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
                        > > descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
                        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
                        > > but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within
                        > > page for FAQs.
                        > >

                        > > We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!
                        > >
                        > > Cari
                        >
                        > How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the
                        same
                        > being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different beings.
                        If
                        > so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > --
                        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                        Thanks, Mike. We could get a few questions out of that, eh?
                        Certainly germane to Gnosticism is discussion of the demiurge.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
                          Hello lady_caritas

                          On 11/01/04, you wrote:

                          >> Hello lady_caritas
                          >>
                          >> On 10/30/04, you wrote:
                          >>

                          >>> Thank you very much, Dwain and Annie, for your ideas. To be
                          > sure,
                          >> > these types of questions asking for definitions and reading
                          >> > suggestions do come up frequently. We already do have brief
                          >> > descriptions of Gnosis and Gnosticism on our front page,
                          >> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/
                          >> > but these also could be incorporated and perhaps expanded within
                          >> > page for FAQs.
                          >> >

                          >> > We're still open to any other suggestions from members. Thanks!!
                          >> >
                          >> > Cari
                          >>
                          >> How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the
                          > same
                          >> being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different beings.
                          > If
                          >> so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?
                          >>
                          >> Regards
                          >> --
                          >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                          It is actually something I have though a lot about, with no answer, of
                          course.

                        • janahooks
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Annie" <annielu38@z...> wrote:
                            > I think a basic reading list would be good, possibly listed in a
                            more or less sequential order, from introductory texts progressing to
                            more involved reading. Maybe some of the new alongside the ancient,
                            relative to topic, in order to facilitate understanding of the older
                            writings.

                            I was thinking along those lines as well--maybe organizing the NH in
                            a way that would help the beginner. I like the idea of having new
                            writings with the old. Also, (this might be too huge an undertaking)
                            I'd like to see some of the gnostic "sects" defined as far as what
                            they believed (believe) and maybe what texts are associated with them.

                            jana

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > Will you help a needy child?
                            > · It only costs .60¢ a day · It's
                            easier than you think.
                            > · Click here to meet a waiting
                            child you can sponsor now.

                            Service.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
                              > Hello lady_caritas
                              >
                              > On 11/01/04, you wrote:
                              >

                              > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
                              wrote:

                              > > sure,

                              Thanks!!

                              > >> How do the devil and the demiurge compare? Are they one and the
                              > > same
                              > >> being as the Cathars would have it, or are they different
                              beings.
                              > > If
                              > >> so do both exist, or do either really in a literal sense?
                              > >>
                              > >> Regards
                              > >> --
                              > >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                              >
                              > It is actually something I have though a lot about, with no answer,
                              of
                              > course.
                              >
                              > Regards
                              > --
                              > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                              That is a tough one, Mike. Historically, we see various treatments
                              of the demiurge. We've had discussion on that, of course. Probably
                              at most we could pose some of these questions and offer some
                              alternative possibilities.

                              That's why I like having this forum to sort through things. I see an
                              FAQ page as primarily a beginning, an elementary basis for further
                              discussion. I believe care should be taken to represent historical
                              Gnostic thought, but not to slip into a realm of dogmatic answers.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004