Re: Clement of Alexandria + the Secret Gospel of Mark

    Message 1 of 61 , Sep 21, 2004
      Hello lady_caritas

      On 09/21/04, you wrote:

      > Mike, thank you. I find this very interesting. I imagine that
      > emphasis of inner knowledge over faith was very helpful.
      >
      > I've always wondered about children who are involved in a modern
      > Gnostic setting as part of their upbringing from a young age. People
      > I run into who have an interest in Gnosticism are adults or young
      > adults, who haven't had exposure to Gnosticism in their youth.
      >
      > Mike, your children (hi, out there, Thomas), of course had this
      > experience. Any semblance of formal teaching or guidance,... or not?
      > Also, do many (or any) people bring children to your church on a
      > regular or even infrequent basis? Any other insights you or Thomas
      > or others might have as to how or whether to approach young children
      > about Gnostic ideas?

      I will let Thomas speak for himself if he wants to, but I will point
      out his major accomplishment for gnosis, so he won't have too. His
      Gnostic Archive became www.gnosis.org.

      We had no catechism classes or formal training, but listening to
      Stephan's homilies week after week had its affect, as did attending
      the mass. My younger son has not been that active, but gnosticism
      does influence his thought, and he does attend church on rare
      occasions. I never wanted to force religion on either of them, so I
      just exposed them to it. My mother was the same with me. I started
      reading on my own.

    • annie
      Message 61 of 61 , Sep 24, 2004
        I tend to see it more as the latter.  If you take this as Christ being the Logos, and John the B being the demiurge (or rather their representations), then when the Logos descended, gnosis was then available to each individual, rather than through the prophets which the demiurge sanctioned.  The logos replaced all priests, and the spirit within us replaced the prophets.  We are now qualified to be our own prophet, in other words.  This is just my understanding from a combined variety of sources and insight.

        I also think he's getting onto James more for the reason that James is still searching superficially, instead of inwardly following the lead that Jesus gave.  James wants more explanations, kind of like he's being lazy and instead of thinking his way there, he wants a 'gimme'.

        love from annie