Gnostic Practice

  • ignisapocryphon
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2004
      My question is this: What kind of ceremonies are there for a lone
      Valentinian Gnostic? How are they observed? It's so hard to find a
      Gnostic group, much less a Gnostic, period. I live in a place where
      Fundamentalist Christianity reigns, and it becomes harder and harder
      to weed through the masses to find a tolerant friend. It's awful...
      but anyways, sources from the Naj Hammadi would be wonderful (since I
      only own that and "The Gnostic Gospels" by Pagels) or online sources
      as well... I really want to begin observing rites soon, since I have
      self-initiated myself to the pursuit of "higher knowledge"... I
      really need some help on this. Also, if you have AOL IM or Yahoo!
      Msg, let me know... I would like some Gnostic companions as well...
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2004
        Hello ignisapocryphon

        On 09/21/04, you wrote:

        > My question is this: What kind of ceremonies are there for a lone
        > Valentinian Gnostic? How are they observed? It's so hard to find a
        > Gnostic group, much less a Gnostic, period. I live in a place where
        > Fundamentalist Christianity reigns, and it becomes harder and harder
        > to weed through the masses to find a tolerant friend. It's awful...
        > but anyways, sources from the Naj Hammadi would be wonderful (since
        > I only own that and "The Gnostic Gospels" by Pagels) or online
        > sources as well... I really want to begin observing rites soon,
        > since I have self-initiated myself to the pursuit of "higher
        > knowledge"... I really need some help on this. Also, if you have AOL
        > IM or Yahoo! Msg, let me know... I would like some Gnostic
        > companions as well...

        Gnostic ceremonial has been very hard to reconstruct. The only
        ceremonies the Ecclesia Gnostica has that are Gnostic in origin as
        opposed to Sacramental (which we believe are also Gnostic in origin)
        are our ceremonies for Good Friday and Epiphany which draw in the
        former case on the Acts Of John, and in the latter on the Pistis
        Sophia. The French Gnostic Church has others, but they are primarily
        Cathar in origin. Much more work is needed in this area, but the
        corpus of Gnostic works is hardly specific about such things, as
        apparently they were secret.