Abrasax for Annie

    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 2, 2004
      Hey Annie

      Just a couple of corrections. Seven Sermons is not actually by
      Basilides, it is a modern work.... by Jung actually.

      Second, I am not aware of any traditional source that says anything
      about Abraxas being "mad". If you take a look in our "links" section
      you will see one for Gnostic terms, this should give a bit more
      accurate a picture of how Abraxas (or Abrasax) is used historically.

      Lastly, it is not "G-d's" face that has not been seen in the Gnostic
      text, but the First Father that I believe you may be talking about...
      who doesn't actually have a face to be seen. "G-d" is another story
      all together.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "annie" <annielu38@z...> wrote:
      > They call it the tetragrammaton, or something like that, I forget
      the exact spelling. It's the Hebrew name for what most people know
      as 'Jehovah', and lately I see it made into 'Yahweh'. Hebrew doesn't
      have vowels in the same sense the english language does. The Jewish
      people wrote the name like that so as not to disrespect him by
      calling him by name, or perhaps 'invoking' him, whatever the reason,
      it was a no-no. But there's countless names which the Jews use for
      him, Elohim, El Shaddai, just to name two of the root words. It's
      very involved.

      > In the bible, when you see LORD in all caps, it should indicate the
      original texts said YHVH.

      > That points out another discrepancy between the OT and NT's gods,
      (which are what you figured them to be) because I have read many
      times in the Nag Hammadi and other apocryphal texts that, according
      to the Savior, Christ ( Jesus to me), and several other voices, no
      one's seen G-d's face, or knows G-d's name, there is no way we can
      conceive of him. I can't remember if it's in the canonized bible,
      off hand.

      > I have never been able to conceive of his image, and when I was
      small I pondered on that quite a bit. Just recently, I've began to
      concieve all of everything, 'creation', the surrounding 'where we
      are' --which I imagine we are truly in the darkest and deepest place
      in existence, not be grim :o( BTW--is part of that entity, but not in
      a conscious manner, maybe, as it would drive any other being stark
      raving mad immediately to be the essence of creation, wouldn't it?
      All except for G-d. That's the idea of G-d that I have, so much
      power and ineffableness that nothing could drive G-d mad. Unless we
      think of that force as Abraxas, which from the little I've read, is
      already mad.
      > I read the 'Seven Sermons to the Dead' by Basil Ides, which was the
      first I'd encountered that word in use. I'd heard it but not known
      what it was.
      > Has anyone else read that? What else is written about Abraxas?
      > love from annie

      Genesis
      > >stories with links to scripture you can read in more detail.
      >
      > >Also, for any more newcomers, don't forget Gerry's recent
      > >suggestions:
      > >(For source material, i.e. Gnostic scriptures, in addition to
      Bentley
      > >Layton's well-annotated _The Gnostic Scriptures_ that Gerry
      mentions,
      > >I'd also suggest James M. Robinson's _The Nag Hammadi Library_.)
      >
      > >Cari
      >

      > Thanks Cari, I think I will visit those links, but I hope no one
      > minds if I continue to ask questions in between readings. =)
      >
      > Annie, I think reading the Bible with two dieties in mind would
      be
      > interesting.
      >
      > Also, what does YHVH mean? OT means Old Testament & NT means New
      > Testamnet, yes?
      >
      > CS
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.
    • sahms2
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 19, 2004
        Hi Cari,

        A quick reply to your post...

        Thank you for your words of encouragement! I'm very glad to be in
        this group and feel better about staying here. Some members have made
        me feel welcome, however I wasn't sure about others. Now that you and
        PMCV have explained things (which I had't thought about) I will
        continue to ask questions, without feeling a little awkward. =)

        you said:
        ["You are right that a foundation is most important, and sometimes in
        order to answer your questions, we might need to first take a few
        steps back to ensure that there is understanding regarding material
        used to answer them. So, sometimes reading materials are suggested
        or other times, basic assumptions are challenged (for instance, those
        that might be a result of preconceptions learned from your previous
        religious influences)."]

        Yes, I agree!! BTW, the suggested reading material has been very
        helpful, although I'm still trying to digest it all. =)

        you said:
        ["Don't worry if your lines of discussion are different from others.
        There are bound to be silent members reading out there who might very
        well relate to you and possibly be encouraged to even drop in and
        write a post of support. Who knows."]

        Good point. This is one of the things I hadn't thought about.

        you said:
        ["In any case, it disheartens me to see your self-deprecation here.
        So, ask away. So far, I've seen lots of responses to your posts. :-)"]

        PMCV and you have helped clear the air. Now, I do feel confident
        knowing where I stand. And, yes there have been LOTS of (awesome)
        replies to my posts.

        Be on the look out for me (and my questions). =)

        Connie
        (newbie)