Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: A question

  • annie
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
      I do understand what you are saying, and there's a middle ground I find between totally being psychic or going all the way in Jung's direction of the opposite (what is that?  I want to say intellectualize it, or is that not the right term?)
      I think the bible is most useful, if it's read as if it were 'a parable of parables'. Even the all the details of Jesus's life in the gospels can be used as a symbol, and the numerology and astrology in the bible are the keys to the 'real' bible code.  The OT is useful, too, if given that treatment.  I never got so much out of the bible, until I quit taking it seriously!!!
      David and Saul are an allegory of Jesus and Satan, with Jonathan perhaps representing YHVH.  David reigned 71/2 years, then 40 as king of All Isreal, was born in bethlehem and died in jerusalem, was a sheep herder, killed a giant with 5 stones, and played the harp.  Bethsheba and Uriah are more of the gnostic theme of Sophia and the Jewish, or orthodox faith being the husband david had killed to have her.  She was given the 'aura' of a whorish or unfaithful wife, even if not directly.
      I see the 'church' of the NT, the bride, as being first the virgin, then the unfaithful wife progressing to prostitute, who at last returns to wear the white garment of pure redemption which was heroically acquired by the bridegroom, which would be the christ spirit.  But the one last thing she gets to do before beginning anew her life as the queen of heaven is to 'clothe herself in witless' wrath and correct the defect which resulted in the creation of matter, and so what should have never come about is now like it has never been, justified karmic account balancing on a higher level!  Of course, I actually don't believe that all that we've been is all a tragic and extinct mistake, it goes one further for me as being necessary for chaos to rise from the shadow of the light in order to be conquered by that light, in an endless sequence, and it's conceivable that each vast time span, such as the solar systems' life time, from beginning to halfway, is G-d exhalation, and then the second half is the inhalation.
      I know that I was probably digressing.  But that's the way I read the bible for real benefit.
      So what conceptions are found for salvation within the truest types of gnosticism, with respect to what you posted below?
      love from annie
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004

        > [...]
        > It works like this; Marcion, unlike Gnostics, believed that
        > salvation was gained by faith in the actual literal validity of his
        > system (at least that is how it looks in the things we read from
        > the heresiologists). The Gnostic model is not dependant on a
        > literal belief of the cosmology. SOme may have believed it
        > literally, others may not have.... but the Gnostic writings
        > themselves make fairly clear that what is important is the
        > underlying MEANING of the texts.

        I have to say that my favorite comment on Marcion can be found in
        Michael Williams' _Rethinking Gnosticism_:

        >>Gilles Quispel has offered the memorable characterization of
        Marcion as "a violin with one string." He was, Quispel comments, "a
        religious genius with one overpowering idea: God, the Father of
        Jesus, was not the Hebrew YHVH."<< (pg. 23)

        Truly, no matter how well one might play that ONE string, it's going
        to fall short of satisfying those who prefer to read scriptures with
        various levels of interpretation.

        Besides, just how different is this kind of literalism from that
        which the patristic sources saw as a shortcoming in the Jewish faith?

        Gerry
      • annie
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004
          I have a question for any one who has an answer, because this one probably has more than just a one sentence answer.  It's related to these two paragraphs posted a day or two ago:

          'It works like this; Marcion, unlike Gnostics, believed that salvation
          was gained by faith in the actual literal validity of his system (at
          least that is how it looks in the things we read from the
          heresiologists). The Gnostic model is not dependant on a literal
          belief of the cosmology. SOme may have believed it literally, others
          may not have.... but the Gnostic writings themselves make fairly
          clear that what is important is the underlying MEANING of the texts.'

          'Gnostics do have some specific beliefs that make the term "Gnostic"
          possible, and one set of those is the cosmology you mention, while
          the other is how that cosmology relates to an internal struggle.'

          PMCV

          I've always assumed that salvation is the basic goal in all forms of spirituality (or religion), otherwise why go by any sort of rules at all? -- there must have been the initial promise of reward even for the most disciplined and wise individual, who is still just human.

          As to the nature of salvation, it's called by many names, but it's definitely not the mere dead end of a state of zero consciousness and memory.  I never thought about the many nuances which most likely do exist in this concept for other individuals and groups, because I have been such a spiritual renegade as far as any one else I've ever talked to, that there was no desire or need to explore this.

          I know what my idea is, and it's not a concrete image of what I can expect, because I don't know, I just know its nature.  I don't think it's a revisable concept, however vague it may be to me, so this question is more in the way of understanding how my own path differs or is similar to the path of traditional gnosticism the way it's discussed in this group.  I see many similarities, some differences, but I'm not sure what exactly is the concept of the final goal in classic, or traditional, gnosticism.  Not in the sense of Marcion, I think I understand that one.  I'm talking about in the purest sense in relation to just gnosticism.

          I hope you can understand what I mean, that was a hard question to articulate.

          love from annie
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
            Gerry....

            >>>"I have to say that my favorite comment on Marcion can be found in
            Michael Williams' _Rethinking Gnosticism_:

            >>Gilles Quispel has offered the memorable characterization of
            Marcion as "a violin with one string." He was, Quispel comments, "a
            religious genius with one overpowering idea: God, the Father of
            Jesus, was not the Hebrew YHVH."<< (pg. 23)

            Truly, no matter how well one might play that ONE string, it's going
            to fall short of satisfying those who prefer to read scriptures with
            various levels of interpretation.

            Besides, just how different is this kind of literalism from that
            which the patristic sources saw as a shortcoming in the Jewish
            faith?"<<<<

            *lol*, I didn't remember that one, or I would have added it myself.

            Karl
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
              Say Annie, I think perhaps I made my point a little unclear. You
              state....

              >>>"I do understand what you are saying, and there's a middle ground
              I find between totally being psychic or going all the way in Jung's
              direction of the opposite (what is that? I want to say
              intellectualize it, or is that not the right term?)"<<<

              Well, we should take a look at this for a second. Now, there would be
              some debate here about just how Jung himself may have intended
              certain things, but the common reading that has spawned a rendering
              of myths to be representative of psychological, or personal,
              principles. It is this understanding in which the basic field of
              comparative mythology works, and which is made most popular by
              writers like Joe Campbell. This is "psychologicising" the religions.

              Look at these two words a bit more closely... "psychologicising"
              and "psychic". As you will quickly see, this "Jungian" method is not
              the opposite of psychic, it IS psychic.... one form of it anyway.

              One thing you said I found interesting.....

              >>>"Of course, I actually don't believe that all that we've been is
              all a tragic and extinct mistake, it goes one further for me as being
              necessary for chaos to rise from the shadow of the light in order to
              be conquered by that light, in an endless sequence, and it's
              conceivable that each vast time span, such as the solar systems' life
              time, from beginning to halfway, is G-d exhalation, and then the
              second half is the inhalation."<<<

              I am thinking that you may be far more interested in Kabbalah than in
              Gnosticism. It really sounds a bit closer to your theological
              thinking as well as to your method of interperatation. Ever study it?
              If so, what did you think?

              Lastly, you ask....

              >>>"So what conceptions are found for salvation within the truest
              types of gnosticism, with respect to what you posted below?"<<<

              I am not sure if you mean to ask how salvation is achieved in
              Gnosticism, or what that salvation is. Could you restate your
              question for me to remove my confusion?

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
                Again, Annie, you raise some interesting questions. May I ask, for
                the record, which books about Gnosticism you are familiar with? This
                will help me to anticipate your line of questioning in such a was as
                to perhaps suggest helpful readings in addition to our conversation.

                On to your points...

                >>>"I've always assumed that salvation is the basic goal in all forms
                of spirituality (or religion), otherwise why go by any sort of rules
                at all? -- there must have been the initial promise of reward even
                for the most disciplined and wise individual, who is still just
                human."<<<

                I would say, Annie, yes and no. I mean, we should not reduce the
                notion of "reward" to something Pavlovian. I mean, not all forms of
                spirituality believe in some kind of heaven where we float around and
                be happy. Sometimes the reward is subtle, such as the simple
                satisfaction of knowing something (such as in the religion of
                atheism) or, sometimes the "reward" is difficult to explain, and far
                from obvious to the pistic relgious observer.

                In that same line.....

                >>>"As to the nature of salvation, it's called by many names, but
                it's definitely not the mere dead end of a state of zero
                consciousness and memory."<<<<

                In fact, that is exactly what some religions believe... such as in
                some forms of Buddhism where salvation is zero consciousness and
                memory. One is released from identity into the absolute.

                >>>"I never thought about the many nuances which most likely do exist
                in this concept for other individuals and groups, because I have been
                such a spiritual renegade as far as any one else I've ever talked to,
                that there was no desire or need to explore this."<<<

                Now is definately the time to explore this Annie. What I mean is,
                Gnosticism was simply not another expression of the commonly
                understood Christian salvational paradigm. Even in the Christian
                forms of Gnosticism, Jesus is not an external bringer of salvation in
                the way any modern Christian would view it. Jesus is just a
                convenient name. One cannot understand Gnosticism without completely
                letting go of the monkey trap that is contained in previously studied
                systems.

                >>>"I see many similarities, some differences, but I'm not sure what
                exactly is the concept of the final goal in classic, or traditional,
                gnosticism. Not in the sense of Marcion, I think I understand that
                one. I'm talking about in the purest sense in relation to just
                gnosticism."<<<<

                It is absolute rejoining with the non-anthropomorphic, unthinking,
                unfeeling, unbeing. The First Father.... which is not a "God".

                PMCV
              • annie
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
                  When you ask about which books about Gnosticism I've read, I'm assuming you mean modern authors on the subject of gnosticism? If so, then really nothing which has been noted as such so that I would know.  I have read a few articles and sermons on line, but nothing of any significance.  That is why I seem so out of step with your thoughts, and vocabulary, because I haven't addressed gnosticism as far as the philosophy surrounding it.  That's why so many questions, also.

                  I have read pretty much all the Nag Hammadi, and that is how I was introduced to the concept of gnosis. Not actually the concept, but the defining of it, as such.  I immediately understood it's character of which it is not just intellectual or emotional knowledge, as it is defined in the lexicon on the groups file page.  That is the primary connection for me, is that way of thinking, because that's been the way I've thought, not the things I've thought about, but the way my head works.  When you talk about initiation, I'm of the understanding that it is maybe the 'crossing of the threshold' into that mode of thinking, but I'm not quite clear on that.  I knew before I joined this group that there are organized gnostic churches, and I read about the some of the practices of a few early gnostic sects, but I was more of the understanding it was more of the method than the subject.

                  These likely are not what you meant in your question, I'm sure, but they might give you an idea of the nature of my thinking.  I've read sacred texts of many cultures and religions, throughout history, not in depth, but more to get an idea of the world view.  I've read a lot of what's online at the Gnostic Society Library, besides the Nag Hammadi.  Any aprocryphal texts I find, I do read.  I've also read the Manichean Mythos and related.  I've read a some of Hippolytus and Iraneaus against heresy, and eastern philosophy, mainly in the way of Buddhism.  I have read some of the theosophical society writings, but didn't really feel comfortable with the feeling I got from reading Madame Blavatsky, and there is some by Annie Besant that I liked, but on an intellectual level.  There's something contained in theosophy that I just don't feel comfortable with, more of a feeling than a specific view or belief.  I have read a great deal of Roscrucian literature, also.

                  I'm familiar with Kabbalah, as well, which I first encountered while exploring the sacred tree in relation to numerous cosmologies of various cultures, and there is a lot of it I can identify with.  It's main interest to me lies in the Hebrew alphabet and gematria, and I can see where the in and out breath of creation is of that tone, but that's something I mainly conceived of from an astronomical perspective.

                  love from annie

                  Say Annie, I think perhaps I made my point a little unclear. You
                  state....

                  >>>"I do understand what you are saying, and there's a middle ground
                  I find between totally being psychic or going all the way in Jung's
                  direction of the opposite (what is that?  I want to say
                  intellectualize it, or is that not the right term?)"<<<

                  Well, we should take a look at this for a second. Now, there would be
                  some debate here about just how Jung himself may have intended
                  certain things, but the common reading that has spawned a rendering
                  of myths to be representative of psychological, or personal,
                  principles. It is this understanding in which the basic field of
                  comparative mythology works, and which is made most popular by
                  writers like Joe Campbell. This is "psychologicising" the religions.

                  Look at these two words a bit more closely... "psychologicising"
                  and "psychic". As you will quickly see, this "Jungian" method is not
                  the opposite of psychic, it IS psychic.... one form of it anyway.

                  One thing you said I found interesting.....

                  >>>"Of course, I actually don't believe that all that we've been is
                  all a tragic and extinct mistake, it goes one further for me as being
                  necessary for chaos to rise from the shadow of the light in order to
                  be conquered by that light, in an endless sequence, and it's
                  conceivable that each vast time span, such as the solar systems' life
                  time, from beginning to halfway, is G-d exhalation, and then the
                  second half is the inhalation."<<<

                  I am thinking that you may be far more interested in Kabbalah than in
                  Gnosticism. It really sounds a bit closer to your theological
                  thinking as well as to your method of interperatation. Ever study it?
                  If so, what did you think?

                  Lastly, you ask....

                  >>>"So what conceptions are found for salvation within the truest
                  types of gnosticism, with respect to what you posted below?"<<<

                  I am not sure if you mean to ask how salvation is achieved in
                  Gnosticism, or what that salvation is. Could you restate your
                  question for me to remove my confusion?

                  PMCV

                • pneumen_borealis
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                    Nice explanation, with a concrete example to boot.

                    You really should archive posts like this under an "FAQ" that people
                    can link to.

                    pneumen

                  • pneumen_borealis
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                      > I see the 'church' of the NT, the bride, as being first the virgin,
                      then the unfaithful wife progressing to prostitute, who at last
                      returns to wear the white garment of pure redemption which was
                      heroically acquired by the bridegroom, which would be the christ
                      spirit. But the one last thing she gets to do before beginning anew
                      her life as the queen of heaven is to 'clothe herself in witless'
                      wrath and correct the defect which resulted in the creation of
                      matter, and so what should have never come about is now like it has
                      never been, justified karmic account balancing on a higher level!

                      Interesting. It rings true in ways I don't quite understand.