Re: Ecclesia Gnostica Mysteriorum article

  • Thomas Leavitt
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      I've attended a few services (distance and other issues preclude any great
      frequency at this point). I found them different in form and feel from the
      more "traditional" services of the E.G. in Los Angeles, which I grew up
      attending, but very gnostic in substance. I don't have enough familiarity to
      comment on the whole of the metaphysical framework the E.G.M. operates
      under, however, so I can't offer much context for the quotes cited in the
      article.

      Thomas

      Message: 11
      Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:14:49 -0000
      From: lady_caritas
      Subject: Re: Ecclesia Gnostica Mysteriorum article

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, David Gallardo <david@g...> wrote:
      > I thought this article might be of interest to the group; I'd be
      > interested to hear others' comments on it: /

      http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/morgue/2004/2004_08_25.church25ja
      .shtml
      > /

      Thanks for the article, David. Even I don't personally frequent a
      ritualistic Gnostic church, I could pretty much relate to Miller's
      ideas, until here:

      "I just love how that was written, that God was human," she
      continued, speaking of the New Testament. "There was no
      separation. ... There is divinity in flesh. For me that holds true of
      all sentient beings, not just humans."

      Divinity *in* flesh? Of course that would be antithetical to a
      historical Gnostic take. I suppose I don't know enough about
      Rosamonde Miller and her church. She seems to offer a peaceful,
      friendly, open venue for seekers.

      What are your thoughts, David? Also, maybe Mike or others more
      familiar with her might like to comment, especially as to how her
      service compares/contrasts to other renditions, such as found in the
      Ecclesia Gnostica (Hoeller) and others.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
        In a strictly personal curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone still has a
        copy of last year's _Time_ article on Lost Christianities (or Lost
        Scriptures?) in which Miller was also mentioned. If I recall
        correctly, both described her as "garrulous," which is not a
        description you run across everyday. Just wondered if the same
        author was responsible for both articles.

        Gerry

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Leavitt" <thomas@t...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
          Hello Gerry

          On 09/01/04, you wrote:

          > In a strictly personal curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone still has
          > a copy of last year's _Time_ article on Lost Christianities (or Lost
          > Scriptures?) in which Miller was also mentioned. If I recall
          > correctly, both described her as "garrulous," which is not a
          > description you run across everyday. Just wondered if the same
          > author was responsible for both articles.
          >
          > Gerry

          She is Spanish Cuban, and very talkative, to me in a charming way, but
          then I really like Rosa. I was Deacon at her ordination to the
          priesthood. I have only been to mass once at Rosa's church, too
          little exposure for me to comment, though at the time I was unsure
          whether I had been to mass or a Golden Dawn magical ritual, or more
          likely both in combination. But as I said, I only saw her mass once.