Re: Hello. I'm new here.

    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 31, 2004
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "annie" <annielu38@z...> wrote:

      > My interest in finding the opposite entities lies in the crucial
      >importance of balance, which I think is key to all that exists.
      >Balance of dualities.<

      Annie, your comment reminded me of a past discussion:

      This goes to the crux of the Gnostic understanding of our ineffable,
      infinite source and might also begin to address IgnisApocryphOn `s
      question, "How is God viewed?" (#10083).

      Here is one passage of description regarding the unknown "perfect
      invisible virgin spirit" from _The Secret Book According to John_:

      "It is not corporeal, it is not _incorporeal_, it is not large, it is
      not small, it is _not_ quantifiable, nor _is it a creature_. Indeed,
      no one can _think of it_. It is not something among _the existents;
      rather it is something_ far _superior to these_: (yet) _it is not as
      though it were `superior'_; rather its characteristic is not _to
      share_ in eternal realms (aeons), or in spans of time. For whatever
      shares in _an eternal realm_ has been prepared _beforehand_."

      Now, to confuse you even more, we live in this temporal world of
      opposites as you recognize,... and there is yet another kind of
      duality the Gnostics experienced (corruptibility and
      incorruptibility), as seen in their emanation systems:

    • sahms2
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 19, 2004
        Hi Cari,

        A quick reply to your post...

        Thank you for your words of encouragement! I'm very glad to be in
        this group and feel better about staying here. Some members have made
        me feel welcome, however I wasn't sure about others. Now that you and
        PMCV have explained things (which I had't thought about) I will
        continue to ask questions, without feeling a little awkward. =)

        you said:
        ["You are right that a foundation is most important, and sometimes in
        order to answer your questions, we might need to first take a few
        steps back to ensure that there is understanding regarding material
        used to answer them. So, sometimes reading materials are suggested
        or other times, basic assumptions are challenged (for instance, those
        that might be a result of preconceptions learned from your previous
        religious influences)."]

        Yes, I agree!! BTW, the suggested reading material has been very
        helpful, although I'm still trying to digest it all. =)

        you said:
        ["Don't worry if your lines of discussion are different from others.
        There are bound to be silent members reading out there who might very
        well relate to you and possibly be encouraged to even drop in and
        write a post of support. Who knows."]

        Good point. This is one of the things I hadn't thought about.

        you said:
        ["In any case, it disheartens me to see your self-deprecation here.
        So, ask away. So far, I've seen lots of responses to your posts. :-)"]

        PMCV and you have helped clear the air. Now, I do feel confident
        knowing where I stand. And, yes there have been LOTS of (awesome)
        replies to my posts.

        Be on the look out for me (and my questions). =)

        Connie
        (newbie)