Hello. I'm new here.

  • sahms2
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 29 11:30 PM
      I'm very new to Gnosticism. At times, I can follow what I read, while
      other times I'm completely lost. I have a zillion questions about
      everything I have been taught and everything I'm now learning.
      Honestly, it's quite overwhelming to me and hope this group can aid
      in my quest to gain an understanding and help me interpret what I
      read.

      A little bit about me....I have never questioned what I was taught
      about my faith, until recently (about 13-14 years ago). My son is the
      culprit!... I say that lovingly. He first questioned our faith when
      he was 5 or 6. I did my best to answer him, but when I spoke I heard
      the nonsense I was saying. He gave me a look that told me, I had not
      answered his question. I simply said "You'll understand when you get
      older". Well, now he is older and continues to question everything.
      What gets me is that, his questions make sense... so much so that I
      started to question what I was taught. We started to read the Bible,
      but we find ourselves asking additional questions.

      My search for answers have lead me to The Gnostics Gospels by Elaine
      Pagels. I became totally engulfed in this book, although it is way
      over my head. I have read and re-read the first few chapters hoping
      to get a better understanding, but still struggle with it at times. I
      have just purchased the Secret Sayings Of Jesus by Grant & Freedman,
      another complex book (for me). However, the saying on the back cover,
      one of many sayings by Jesus, motivated me to buy it.

      "Let him who seeks not cease in his seeking
      until he finds;
      and when he finds, he will be troubled,
      and if he is troubled, he will marvel,
      and will be a king over the ALL."

      CS
    • sahms2
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 19, 2004
        Hi Cari,

        A quick reply to your post...

        Thank you for your words of encouragement! I'm very glad to be in
        this group and feel better about staying here. Some members have made
        me feel welcome, however I wasn't sure about others. Now that you and
        PMCV have explained things (which I had't thought about) I will
        continue to ask questions, without feeling a little awkward. =)

        you said:
        ["You are right that a foundation is most important, and sometimes in
        order to answer your questions, we might need to first take a few
        steps back to ensure that there is understanding regarding material
        used to answer them. So, sometimes reading materials are suggested
        or other times, basic assumptions are challenged (for instance, those
        that might be a result of preconceptions learned from your previous
        religious influences)."]

        Yes, I agree!! BTW, the suggested reading material has been very
        helpful, although I'm still trying to digest it all. =)

        you said:
        ["Don't worry if your lines of discussion are different from others.
        There are bound to be silent members reading out there who might very
        well relate to you and possibly be encouraged to even drop in and
        write a post of support. Who knows."]

        Good point. This is one of the things I hadn't thought about.

        you said:
        ["In any case, it disheartens me to see your self-deprecation here.
        So, ask away. So far, I've seen lots of responses to your posts. :-)"]

        PMCV and you have helped clear the air. Now, I do feel confident
        knowing where I stand. And, yes there have been LOTS of (awesome)
        replies to my posts.

        Be on the look out for me (and my questions). =)

        Connie
        (newbie)