Clement of Alexandria

  • pneumen_borealis
    Message 1 of 61 , Aug 24, 2004
      An intersting link from a Coptic Church on Gnostics in Alexandia:

      http://www.saintmark.com/topics/patrology/schoolofalex/I-Intro/chapter4.html

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but although Clement of Alexandria seemed
      to have a slightly different spin on Gnosis, I don't see him as
      particularly hostile to it. He seems more intent on reconciling
      Orthodoxy and Gnosticism rather than demouncing it as heresy, and
      seems to take a more gradual and formal approach to Gnosis that
      would not neccessarily be at odds with Valintinianism.

      Has anyone found passages written by him that show anything like a
      denunciation of the idea of a "demiurge", for example?

      If anything, his more optimistic view of the physical world would
      indicate that a demiurge is a more benign character. It would not
      equate him with "the Father" per se.
    • annie
      Message 61 of 61 , Sep 24, 2004
        I tend to see it more as the latter.  If you take this as Christ being the Logos, and John the B being the demiurge (or rather their representations), then when the Logos descended, gnosis was then available to each individual, rather than through the prophets which the demiurge sanctioned.  The logos replaced all priests, and the spirit within us replaced the prophets.  We are now qualified to be our own prophet, in other words.  This is just my understanding from a combined variety of sources and insight.

        I also think he's getting onto James more for the reason that James is still searching superficially, instead of inwardly following the lead that Jesus gave.  James wants more explanations, kind of like he's being lazy and instead of thinking his way there, he wants a 'gimme'.

        love from annie