Re: Hi everyone

  • pneumen_borealis
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "ignisapocryphon"
      <jstatom@o...>
      > wrote:
      > has
      > > to do with the recently discovered Naj Hammadi library. Gnostics
      no
      > > longer have to rely on word-of-mouth to get their ideas passed
      from
      > > generation to generation, which has already proved devastating
      > > some
      > > cultures and religions.

      Could it not go deeper and further?

      When you think about it, the natural sciences and the humanities
      (including history) rely on testimony. In other words, with gnosis,
      scripture and documentation become redundant since you've tapped in
      to the source of Truth and fully appreciate the structure of
      perception (among other things, of course).

      > The above passage cited by Pneumen resembles something attributed
      > Heracleon:
      >
      > Fragment 39, on John 4:42
      > . . . At first people believe in the Savior because they are lead
      > that point by others, but when they encounter his words they no
      > longer believe because of human testimony alone, but because of
      the
      > Truth itself.
      > http://www.gnosis.org/library/fragh.htm

      That is what I thought. I was sort of hoping to provoke a longer
      discussion.

      > In a nutshell, this captures the value of gnosis for Gnostics,
      > demonstrating its role in the redemption of pneumatics, while
      > psychics depend on faith and works for their salvation.

      What about Grace? Is this similar to what the Gnostics meant by
      gnosis? Or is it a variant of faith? Certainly, Orthodox theologians
      distinguish between Grace and Faith. Any evidence that the
      Valentinians made a distinction between Grace and Gnosis?

      > If you care to further explore these perspectives in the
      Valentinian
      > system, Cari began an interesting discussion last winter
      concerning
      > Heracleon's Gnostic interpretation of the Gospel of John:

      Thanks for the link, Gerry. I was rereading John just yesterday and
      this is very helpful.