9299Re: Digest Number 563 (seminar lowlights)

    Mar 9, 2004
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "eyeambetty" <eyeambetty@y...>
      wrote:

      > alright, you caught me exaggerating a wee bit, shame on me...
      > actually besides the Fresh Air interview, there was a panel
      > discussion, i think on Talk of the Nation. i also recall another
      > Fresh Air interview with a fellow who had just written a book, he
      was
      > talking about Jewish mythology and the Kabbala, unfortunately, i
      > rarely get a chance to sit still long enough to hear things at
      > length, only little snippets. all this was surrounding "The
      Passion",
      > NPR seemed to be leaning towards voicing the outrage, and profiling
      > the types of people whom this film would resonate with, and the
      > reasons why. all this against a backdrop of Haitian revolt, Gay
      > Marriages, and the jaw-dropping number of catholic priest who have
      > molested their congregations children, you know, real people
      > suffering and stuggling in the face of adversity, right now.
      > i think perhaps the importance or any understanding of the non-
      > canonical texts gets lost and swallowed up in the context of these
      > media driven soundbites, they are just seen as points of interest
      > add to the bigger story, in this case, as one Jewish theologian put
      > it, a catholic snuff film. oohh stop me...

      LMAO No, I'm not about to stop you——I hadn't heard the "snuff"
      comment, either. Something like that really wakes me up in the
      morning. :-)

      As for the exaggeration, no shame there. We'll just chalk it up to
      hyperbole——an effective, rhetorical strategy! You're in good company
      as far as wondering about how the profound continues to be lost amid
      the profane of the current media hype. Rather than suggesting that
      orthodoxy has made strange bedfellows then, maybe I'll contend that
      the conservative and liberal obsession of late simply has to do with
      extremism all around. Whether Mel Gibson is claiming to be a
      mouthpiece for the Holy Spirit, or Tim Robbins acts as one for Susan
      Sarandon, it amounts to little more than fundamentalist propaganda
      being force-fed to the masses, who, evidently, can't make a decision
      for ourselves.

      Case in point, I just now had to tear myself away from the computer
      when I heard Mary Magdalene mentioned on the TV in the other room.
      Looks like the Today Show is running a special segment on Jesus this
      week near the top of the second hour. Anyway, Ann Curry pointed out
      two viewpoints currently in the popular spotlight: Gibson's
      portrayal of Mary in "The Passion" (which basically minimizes the
      connection between her and Jesus); and their overly speculated
      relationship in _The Da Vinci Code_. Once again, Elaine Pagels was
      brought in to represent the voice of reason, suggesting that the
      truth might be found somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.
      Unfortunately, that middle-of-the-road approach often lacks the
      sensationalism of imagining either a harlot being stoned to death or
      the Savior's offspring being spirited away to Europe.

      People need to believe in something, though. Whether we believe in
      the faith of our fathers, or believe it's time to have another beer,
      or simply believe we've had enough of all this, this need to believe
      may be our undoing if extremist distractions continue to saturate out
      thoughts.

      > Gerry wrote:
      > Do you think
      > > it's some strange coincidence that it opens with a quote from the
      > > Gospel of Peter and ends with the Gospel of Thomas? A number of
      > > Ehrman's essays seem to focus on those two books, and that was
      also
      > > the same order in which he covered them in person. Bizarre. I
      > think
      > > I smell a conspiracy brewin' somewhere. ;-)
      >

      > or very effective PR.
      >

      > betty

      "Very effective" indeed. It was pointed out that these professors
      aren't paid for their participation in this program's lectures, but
      it was certainly a grand opportunity to promote the sale of their
      books.