9283Re: Lowlights of DSS / NHL Seminar

    Mar 7, 2004
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "wvdog61" <wvdog61@7...> wrote:
      > Gerry,
      >
      > I would have responded earlier but my DSL connection was out for a
      > couple days and I've been playing catch-up since then.

      No problem, Rodney. I know how those things go.

      > First of all, I want to say that your post was very informative (as
      > your posts always are) and that reading it was a true pleasure. I
      > have to admit that a few months ago when I heard you talking about
      > attending the seminar I was green with envy, but after your
      > critique, I'm glad I didn't use any vaction days from my work or
      > spend money for airfare.

      I'm very pleased to know that my report of personal disappointment
      brings you some relief. LOL I often questioned if it was worth the
      4-hour drive for me even, but in the end, I suppose it was a learning
      experience (even if it wasn't what I had hoped to learn), and who
      says that learning has to be enjoyable.

      The thing is, Rodney, that it would have been fun if we'd had the
      audience peppered with our membership. Just think how we could have
      monopolized the Q&A sessions! As it was, though, the Gnostic
      contingent was considerably outnumbered. If I were you, I'd hang on
      to those vacation days for when Mike brings us news of the next
      Gnosticon conference.

      > I saw Ehrman's book, 'Lost Christianities", at a Books-A-Million
      and
      > read parts of it for about an hour. Later on I heard that interview
      > on NPR. I've never thought that he was a gnostic himself
      (especially
      > after his use of 'forgery' in LC), but felt that perhaps he was at
      > least broad enough in his viewpoint to allow that early gnostic
      > christians were as fully deserving the name as their catholic
      > counterparts.

      At this point, I'm really not sure if it could possibly matter to him
      *who* calls himself a Christian. Ya know, maybe I was just trying to
      be optimistic (which is a stretch for me), but I went through
      numerous books of his over many days' time before it became obvious
      that the introductions to texts in his anthology were mostly synopses
      of the texts themselves, rather than any sort of critical analysis.
      If that was becoming clear to you after an hour in the bookstore, I
      need to listen better to that nagging intuition and quit pretending
      that everyone is as open-minded as I'd like to believe.

      > Gerry the fact that Professor Ehrman, like so many scholars, has in
      > his hands, before his very eyes, the writings of GTh and so much
      > else from the NHL, makes his lack of `sight' a bitter irony.

      My thoughts exactly! Maybe one day, these works will strike him in
      such a way that they will be free of the heretical stigma that must
      haunt him.

      > For me that's the utter beauty of the Gnosis. While I do `believe'
      > that there was a real person named Jesus who lived and died in
      > ancient Palestine, if someone could prove conclusively that he
      never
      > existed it would be of no consequence for having gnosis.
      >
      > Peace
      >
      > Rodney

      Otherwise, what's the point of gnosis, right?