9248Re: Breakthrough

    Feb 29, 2004
      Hello Gerry

      On 29-Feb-04, you wrote:

      > http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/piclib/imagerecord.asp?id=10411307 This is a
      > nutshell version attributing the image's first known use to French
      > astronomer Camille Flammarion in 1888.

      I cannot remember the name of his book, but Flammarion was into the
      Occult and Metaphysical, more or less Theosophical in tone if I
      remember right, so he may have consciously altered the older 16th
      Century image to suit his more modern Occult outlook. Just another
      coincidence, though perhaps. AFAIK, he was not involved in the late
      19th century French Gnostic movement, though I could be wrong on
      that.