9176Re: the reasons for Reason

  • jachthondus
    Feb 9, 2004
      Dear Gavin,

      Thank you very much for sharing this so openly with me; and
      I'm ever so glad to hear that in the end this new medicine turned-up
      for you!
      My situation is different from yours', and has to do with rheumatics/
      arthritis and muscles, but thank-Heaven I'm very "mobile" and even
      can walk my (fortunately very obedient) dogs...
      There have-been/still-are periods however, in which I suddenly simply
      can't "lift-up" small things like f.i. a cup or a glass or a pencil.

      As you might have read in my former posts, it's only recently (since
      a year or-so) that I have come to take a look over the "wall"
      of "pure-logical-reasoning", but although I still do feel "amazed" by
      this newly-discovered-world, I feel very grateful and happy!
      There is SO much to read and to think and to learn for me...
      It's "questions, questions, questions", but also great TRUST!

      I have NO idea where this "knowing" to be walking in the right
      direction suddenly came from... You?
      How does one come to change from a life-long "no-nonsense-agnostic"
      to a searcher for God and Gnosis?...
      Not because of "pain", as that was already there...
      What do you think?

      In the meantime I can't help to still feel a little uneasy to have
      brought this "pain-subject" on the List, being afraid to "bother"
      people. Can you understand?

      On the other hand I would very much like to talk with you about this
      for-once off-list. If you also might would feel for talking, you're
      very welcome on my e-mail-adress. If not, I also could understand!

      With Warm Regards,

      Jach.

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Riggott" <wu@n...> wrote:
      > > Thank you SO much, dear Mike, for responding and understanding!
      > >
      > > (To tell you the truth: I immediately regretted to have mentioned
      > > this)...
      >
      > Don't regret it, Jach, sometimes it's good to get these things off
      your
      > chest or out in the open. I have a neurological condition called
      FRDA that
      > is slowly eating away at my nervous system. This causes me many
      problems,
      > the main one being an almost total loss of balance, but also
      chronic reflux
      > disease. Imagine heart-burn so bad it makes you vomit (and when
      you do,
      > it's black due to slight internal bleeding where stomach acid has
      escaped).
      > The only way to stop this was to eat - if there was food into my
      stomach to
      > digest, the problem was lessened. This caused me to put on weight,
      and that
      > is one of the things that potentially makes reflux worse. It was a
      viscous
      > circle. I tried various medications, but at best they only made it
      possible
      > to sleep; I was still in regular pain. Although not depressed as
      such, it
      > did make life bleak and I frequently questioned the point of
      continuing to
      > live in this body. Fortunately, just recently a new medication has
      been
      > developed that has almost totally cured the problem. Almost, but
      not
      > quite - I still have be very careful with what and when I eat, but
      my food
      > intake is now both stable and healthy (now if only I can summon the
      > motivation to do some sort of exercise... ).
      >
      > However, I now consider my suffering a blessing... in a sense. In
      the wider
      > sense, it's suffering and therefore a curse, but in the narrower
      sense, it
      > has caused me to question my axioms about the universe. My
      suffering keeps
      > me grounded. I talk with Taoism and Zen inclined friends who often
      take the
      > common stance that our "fall" into the physical world is simply a
      natural
      > part of the human situation and not really a problem. I
      occasionally find
      > myself drifting towards this view, but then I come face-to-face with
      > suffering, in my oppinion the greatest mystery of all, and find the
      > "natural" view lacking in credibility. If I hadn't have got this
      desease,
      > where would I be now? Would I be a Taoist? Or even a non-religious
      > materialist? I don't know, but I find it hard to see how I would
      have come
      > to Gnosticism without it. So in that respect, there is at least
      something
      > to be greatful for, a small piece of light in the darkness. I
      wouldn't dare
      > to presume to understand your situation, but perhaps your
      experiences have
      > some something in common?
      >

      > Gavin Riggott
    • Show all 147 messages in this topic