8907Re: the Demiurge and the Saviour

    Jan 2, 2004
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kieniewicz" <paulmmk@y...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone know the derivation of "demiurge" ---Demi-urgos ---
      > sounds like it comes from Greek. If so, what might be its root
      > meaning ?
      >
      > Paul Kieniewicz

      Hi, Paul. Happy New Year, everyone.

      Interesting you should bring this up because, although I have
      seen "demiurge" [Gnostic (and Platonic) maker of material world]
      sometimes explained as a "half" or "lesser" god (based on a
      prefix "demi-" or "half"),... according to various
      dictionaries, "demiurge" is indeed Greek in origin.

      The Late Latin _demiurgus_ comes from the Greek _demiourgos_, which
      literally means "artisan." And, yes, we do see the Gnostic demiurge
      referred to as a craftsman. [_demios_ of the people (from _demos_
      people) + _-ourgos_ worker (from _ergon_ work)]