8877Re: Amazing Grace

  • woodlandmuse
    Dec 21, 2003
      The lyrics of the song are so moving and poignant, they're seemingly
      haunting and strike almost the center of a person's being (if this is
      a song that moves the person).

      It wasn't until a year or two ago that I happened to find out about
      the life of the man who wrote it, and how he was "compelled" to write
      such a piece. It was such an epiphany for the man, such a complete
      turn-around. It makes the song more meaningful on many levels.

      ... and when I hear it played by a lone piper in the mists or with a
      single light upon him ... I'm moved to tears.

      ~ Lily

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Lenny Ausante
      <foucaultspendulum120@y...> wrote:
      > Interesting that me and a friend were just talking about this
      idea. I was saying that I believed in a song like "Amazing Grace"
      because it is not marketed or packaged but yet everyone knows the
      tune. The fact that no one know the author demonstrates that the
      work became larger than the writter. Kind of like removal of the ego
      literally. The object takes a life of it's own and moves away from
      the creator. I am the first to admit that I get influenced and sold
      by marketing but maybe songs like "Amazing Grace" Stand on there own
      and have recognition for a reason. They are actually good.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic